Wichita Falls/ Accident

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Dirthawking
Posts in topic: 1

Wichita Falls/ Accident

Post by Dirthawking »

On Friday November 22nd the wife and I were involved in a roll over accident during the freezing rain storm that rolled through the area. We were pulling a 20 foot box trailer with our Eddie Bauer Expedition. Trailer got loose on me and pulled us around. Expedition flipped onto driver side and we slide approx 200 feet down freeway facing the wrong direction. We are okay, well as okay as we can be right now.

Any who...

Several cops arrived on scene and I notified the first officer that the wife and I were both CHL and carrying. Also notified him of a third hand gun in the vehicle (still on its side), plus a few extra loaded magazines and boxes of ammo. He didn't really care.

Another officer came up to talk to me and the wife 20 minutes (+/-) later and I again told this officer about the CHL and the weapon still in the vehicle. His eyes got big and told me to get the weapon out of the vehicle immediatly. I am thinking oh great here we go. He said,"Don't you dare let that weapon out of your sight. Get it out of there and stick it in your pocket if you have to."

I explained that it is in an OWB holster but that I was currently carrying and that there was no way to conceal the other gun. He said that was okay, as there were 5 officers on the scene at that time and nobody was going to give me any grief about it. He allowed me to crawl into our vehicle and secure my weapon, magazines, and all ammo.

After I crawled back out, he explained to me that they did not want the weapon or ammo going to the tow yard with the vehicle as they have had weapons disappear in the past.

All in all it was a pleasant experience as far as the weapons/CHL went. No other mention of them came up after that and we were on the side of the road for 2 hours.

I tip my hat to those officers! :tiphat:
Some people simply need a high five, to the face, with a chair!

jmra

Re: Wichita Falls/ Accident

Post by jmra »

Glad you guys are ok.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

iom

Post by iom »

Glad you're ok. Officers seemed to be very professional. That's always nice to hear. These positive stories need to be told more often.
Thanks for sharing re: securing weapons in the car. Something to remember if I'm every in a similar situation.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

A whole bunch of years ago my girlfriend wrecked my car (with me in it) and we were transported. Passenger side windows and front windshield broken out, the car was towed to a seedy area and parked in the unsecured (civilian) towing lot and left there overnight. The next day I talked a friend of mine into going over and recovering some personal items with me, including, I hoped, my .30-30 carbine which had been in a case in the back seat (the trunk was full of other stuff.) The gun case had been opened and the action was open, but the gun sat there, in the open and visible from feet away, with the sprung driver's door and windows open. One never knows.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

wow! glad you're ok! sounds like it could have been alot worse. and real glad the officers were good to you and thought ahead to the tow yard.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

Sounds like the officers handled it well and were only concerned with you securing the weapon, which is a good thing. Sorry to hear about the accident, but glad you are okay.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Stuff disappears all the time when vehicles go to the tow yard. My daughter lost a brand new iPhone 5 charger and all of the change that was in her car when it was towed to yard after her boyfriend totaled the car. :banghead:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Dirthawking wrote:After I crawled back out, he explained to me that they did not want the weapon or ammo going to the tow yard with the vehicle as they have had weapons disappear in the past.
I tip my hat to those officers! :tiphat:
Me too. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Huh, my in-laws' minivan wasn't missing anything when we went to the tow yard two days later to get stuff out.

Very glad you and the Mrs. weren't seriously hurt. Those LEOs were awesome looking out for your things like that.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

Close call! So glad you both are ok and the officers were so professional.

Is your vehicle repairable?
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”