Alamo Heights: Officer fatally shoots student

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Alamo Heights: Officer fatally shoots student

Post by jmra »

gthaustex wrote:More details here now:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/ ... rttopalert

Apparently, there was a struggle where the student grabbed the officer's baton and was attacking the officer with it.... :nono:
What are the contents of the report based on? The officers statement? Eyewitnesses?
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

More will come out as they investigate. Uiw officers are dual commissioned by bexar county as deputies. I'm surprised the reporters don't catch that in their rush to spin a story. There are lots of rumors running on this one that I won't spread as I will await the facts.

rbwhatever1
Posts in topic: 5

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Come on Texanjoker we thrive on rumors, hearsay and sleuthing! Anything juicy about the dashcam laying in the floor?
III

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MechAg94 »

I don't know if the kid was drunk or high, but I bet if you look at physical altercations involving police officers around the country, I bet you can come up with a very high percentage of cases where the other person is affected by alcohol or drugs.

Of course, I am not starting with the assumption that the police officer was in the wrong either. I really shouldn't assume the suspect was guilty either, but the witness statements of what was said have me leaning toward "drunk or high". That still doesn't really explain how the shooting occured.

gthaustex
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gthaustex »

jmra wrote:
gthaustex wrote:More details here now:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/ ... rttopalert

Apparently, there was a struggle where the student grabbed the officer's baton and was attacking the officer with it.... :nono:
What are the contents of the report based on? The officers statement? Eyewitnesses?
The statements about the attack were from a news conference held by the Alamo Heights PD police chief. They are the ones doing the investigation into the incident. Hopefully he has some insight into the issue.

rbwhatever1
Posts in topic: 5

Post by rbwhatever1 »

A whole lot of instructions...

AHPD says they have a six-minute video from the rear of Cpl. Chris Carter's police truck that shows Redus walking to his apartment even though the police truck lights were on. The police department said Cpl. Carter then told Redus to put his hands on the truck when a struggle over the officer's baton ensued.

"Officer Carter instructed Redus 14 times to place his hands behind his back, informed him three times he was under arrest and to stop resisting 56 times," Alamo Heights Chief Richard Pruitt said.

The student was then shot five times with a .40 caliber handgun, including in the chest and the eye, according to AHPD.
Both the AHPD and the Texas Rangers are investigating the case. Bexar County District Attorney's office has been brought in for oversight. The DA's involvement is notable because in other recent officer-involved shootings the DA's office hasn't been involved until the agency's investigations are complete.

http://www.kens5.com/news/local/AHPD-UI ... 33211.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
III

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

texanjoker wrote:More will come out as they investigate. Uiw officers are dual commissioned by bexar county as deputies. I'm surprised the reporters don't catch that in their rush to spin a story. There are lots of rumors running on this one that I won't spread as I will await the facts.
I didn't think you could hold more than one commission at a time. Is that not the case?

Chas.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
texanjoker wrote:More will come out as they investigate. Uiw officers are dual commissioned by bexar county as deputies. I'm surprised the reporters don't catch that in their rush to spin a story. There are lots of rumors running on this one that I won't spread as I will await the facts.
I didn't think you could hold more than one commission at a time. Is that not the case?

Chas.

No sir. One can be dual commissioned.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

They changed that rule about 8 years ago, Charles. Now the L-1 asks if it is a dual commission. If left blank, it automatically terminates the previous commission but if marked it keeps both active in TCOLE's computers.
Steve Rothstein

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

srothstein wrote:They changed that rule about 8 years ago, Charles. Now the L-1 asks if it is a dual commission. If left blank, it automatically terminates the previous commission but if marked it keeps both active in TCOLE's computers.
Thanks Steve and Texanjoker. BTW Steve, we need to work on a bill like the one the Gov. vetoed in 2011. I have a couple of items we need to address along the same lines.

Chas.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
srothstein wrote:They changed that rule about 8 years ago, Charles. Now the L-1 asks if it is a dual commission. If left blank, it automatically terminates the previous commission but if marked it keeps both active in TCOLE's computers.
Thanks Steve and Texanjoker. BTW Steve, we need to work on a bill like the one the Gov. vetoed in 2011. I have a couple of items we need to address along the same lines.

Chas.
Your are welcome. I know several people that work for 2 different agencies under the dual commission rule. They usually work full time at one and then part time or reserve at the 2nd.

What kind of bill?

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”