Alamo Heights: Officer fatally shoots student

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

tbrown
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Alamo Heights: Officer fatally shoots student

Post by tbrown »

Keith B wrote:I had a speaker microphone in one had, gun in the other while wrestling a subject to the ground when I was a LEO
I hope this post isn't deleted if I observe that doesn't leave many hands free for wrestling.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

AdamJ1555

Post by AdamJ1555 »

MoJo wrote:A lot of the walkies that police and fire use have an orange or red button that when pressed sends out a distress code.

A deputy sheriff friend of mine was trying to cuff a 90 pound "lady of the evening" when she tried to grab his gun. The only thing he could do was hang on to the cuffs and protect his gun. He hit the button and hoped help got there before somebody got shot. Within three minutes he said there were four city cops three deputies and a DPS trooper there to lend a hand. Needless to say, the "lady" who was being picked up for a misdemeanor warrant wound up with a felony resisting arrest charge added. :tiphat:
Additionally most of the emergency buttons are configured to open the mic on the radio for 10-15 sec allowing the dispatcher to hear what's going on without the officer having to keep his/her hand on the mic button. Very effective for emergency communications.
NRA Member
Glock 19 G4
CHL App Submitted: 12/17/13
Plastic In Hand: 2/11/14

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

tbrown wrote:
Keith B wrote:I had a speaker microphone in one had, gun in the other while wrestling a subject to the ground when I was a LEO
I hope this post isn't deleted if I observe that doesn't leave many hands free for wrestling.
You don't always need hands for wrestling. When I was in high school we had a student who had a birth defect and had a stub on one arm and only partial use of the other hand. He was one of our best wrestlers on the team.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MechAg94 »

That was a very long article that said almost nothing about what happened. Also, people do very stupid things when they are drunk or high. "Smart" kids do stupid things too even though those people said what a nice boy he was.

With the lack of information, it is difficult to make any judgement on this one. However, there was likely a struggle or difficulty of some kind. Odds are the cop didn't start it.

Moby

Post by Moby »

When ever there is a Officer involved shooting some are quick to judge.
I agree with the moderator, we all need ot take a breath. When the cop shot the mentally challenged man recently from 30 feet and was fired the truth came out. It doesn't always come out. But every time I've ever had an LEO encounter I stay clam, follow instructions, treat the officer respectfully, and all seems to work out fine. Cops are human. Some make mistakes, MOST are great men! Few jobs ask you to put your life on the line at a moments notice.

RESPECT!
SALUTE! :txflag:
And please...wait for the facts.
Respectfully
Moby
:tiphat:

MechAg94 wrote:That was a very long article that said almost nothing about what happened. Also, people do very stupid things when they are drunk or high. "Smart" kids do stupid things too even though those people said what a nice boy he was.

With the lack of information, it is difficult to make any judgement on this one. However, there was likely a struggle or difficulty of some kind. Odds are the cop didn't start it.
Be without fear in the face of your enemies.
Stand brave and upright that the Lord may love thee.
Speak the truth always even if it means your death.
Protect the helpless and do no wrong!

rbwhatever1
Posts in topic: 5

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Keith B wrote:An officer can bounce around a lot if they work as a reserve for various agencies before getting hired permanently by a department.

As for shooting and radioing, I had a speaker microphone in one had, gun in the other while wrestling a subject to the ground when I was a LEO. It wasn't graceful by either of us, but I did get backup radioed for and incapacitated the subject. Luckily I didn't have to shoot him.

Well. You did a fine job since you didn't accidentally shoot anyone, including yourself!
I'm not so graceful. I once had a flight instructor tell me "fly the radio crash the plane or crash the radio fly the plane". I was apparently focusing too much on the radio and not enough on the landing I was about to make going into Nashville.
III

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

rbwhatever1 wrote:
Keith B wrote:An officer can bounce around a lot if they work as a reserve for various agencies before getting hired permanently by a department.

As for shooting and radioing, I had a speaker microphone in one had, gun in the other while wrestling a subject to the ground when I was a LEO. It wasn't graceful by either of us, but I did get backup radioed for and incapacitated the subject. Luckily I didn't have to shoot him.

Well. You did a fine job since you didn't accidentally shoot anyone, including yourself!
I'm not so graceful. I once had a flight instructor tell me "fly the radio crash the plane or crash the radio fly the plane". I was apparently focusing too much on the radio and not enough on the landing I was about to make going into Nashville.
I was lucky in the fact I accomplished what I did. Learning to kick someone's feet out from under them payed off in that case.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

rbwhatever1
Posts in topic: 5

Post by rbwhatever1 »

LEO's have a rough job today when they meet all the crazies in this "melting pot" by themselves. LEO's should work in pairs in most cities. No idea why the high crime Cities don't do this. Maybe some do. If they don't they can get rid of the dead office weight in City Hall and pair up these guys on the streets when needed. At night maybe if nothing else.

All you LEO's be careful out there!
III

SC1903A3

Post by SC1903A3 »

"Smart" kids do stupid things too even though those people said what a nice boy he was.
I work for a University and I can tell you it is a fact that smart kids get very stupid when they are drunk. Some of them have the mentality that Campus Police aren't really police which brings on a whole other level of stupidity. :roll:

jmra

Post by jmra »

SC1903A3 wrote:
"Smart" kids do stupid things too even though those people said what a nice boy he was.
I work for a University and I can tell you it is a fact that smart kids get very stupid when they are drunk. Some of them have the mentality that Campus Police aren't really police which brings on a whole other level of stupidity. :roll:
Any evidence yet that this kid was intoxicated?
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

How is this related to CHL, self defense, Bill of Rights, firearms, or similar issues? :confused5

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

jmra wrote:
SC1903A3 wrote:
Any evidence yet that this kid was intoxicated?
I haven't heard any suggestions that he was drinking. An article stated that he was celebrating the end of finals with some friends at 2AM.
NRA Endowment Member

SC1903A3

Post by SC1903A3 »

I did not mean to imply he had been drinking. However his view of being stopped by campus police could very well have factored into his response to the officer.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Did not pass the attitude test. Sad thing to die for.

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

More details here now:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/ ... rttopalert

Apparently, there was a struggle where the student grabbed the officer's baton and was attacking the officer with it.... :nono:

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”