off duty LEO holster causes panic

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
texanjoker

off duty LEO holster causes panic

Post by texanjoker »

This is a good article about concealed carry and appears to even be pro open carry, all from a LEO website stemming from an incident where a 'holster' was seen and a person freaked out creating panic. These calls do come in and they can cause a chain reaction. The author makes his disclaimer to not offend anybody and does a good job talking about open carry, ect. These kind of articles actually make people reconsider open carry. Well done :tiphat:

Why do some folks panic at the idea of the presence of a gun? The person who reported a “gunman” on the campus shuttle bus reportedly never saw a gun but only a portion of the holster. I hope that the campus police department and/or that officer’s agency (no indication it was an off-duty campus officer) don’t discipline him although it wouldn’t surprise me if that happened. Agencies today – at least all the ones I’m familiar with – require their officers to be armed off-duty but also require them to keep the weapon concealed.

http://www.officer.com/blog/11274526/of ... aled-carry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Re: off duty LEO holster causes panic

Post by mojo84 »

Doesn't seem so outrageous since it is coming from a cop's perspective.The article Seems to support the open carry argument that if people started open carrying what is LEGAL to open carry (long guns), people would get used to seeing the guns and it won't be so out of the ordinary and alarming to see someone with a gun. The argument comes down to, is open carry of a long gun more alarming than open carry of a handgun? If open carry of handguns were passed and more people did it, would cops and those that chose to open carry not be so out of the ordinary and alarming?

Therefore, those that are open carrying what they can is trying to accomplish what the article says. Right?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 5

Post by VMI77 »

texanjoker wrote:This is a good article about concealed carry and appears to even be pro open carry, all from a LEO website stemming from an incident where a 'holster' was seen and a person freaked out creating panic. These calls do come in and they can cause a chain reaction. The author makes his disclaimer to not offend anybody and does a good job talking about open carry, ect. These kind of articles actually make people reconsider open carry. Well done :tiphat:

Why do some folks panic at the idea of the presence of a gun? The person who reported a “gunman” on the campus shuttle bus reportedly never saw a gun but only a portion of the holster. I hope that the campus police department and/or that officer’s agency (no indication it was an off-duty campus officer) don’t discipline him although it wouldn’t surprise me if that happened. Agencies today – at least all the ones I’m familiar with – require their officers to be armed off-duty but also require them to keep the weapon concealed.

http://www.officer.com/blog/11274526/of ... aled-carry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The reason they freak out is because the schools, liberal politicians, and the MSM pound the meme that guns are scary dangerous instruments of evil that can just "go off" at any time, and it fits the prejudices of some people to believe it.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

howdy

Post by howdy »

I saw a guy in civilian clothes come into the Chick-fil-A in Katy open carrying a cocked and locked 1911. He did have a badge that I did not recognize right next to the holster. No one appeared to care.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Here's an actual photo of the holster-carrying cop and his girlfriend, tweeted out by AU which also told students to "do not approach" the couple.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ficer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

Well he does look like a thug but not your normal DC criminal

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 6

Post by cb1000rider »

VMI77 wrote: The reason they freak out is because the schools, liberal politicians, and the MSM pound the meme that guns are scary dangerous instruments of evil that can just "go off" at any time, and it fits the prejudices of some people to believe it.
Blame the "liberals" - that's a one answer.
I think the media is more to blame than liberals. Conservatives should remember that exclusionism is part of why they've done so badly in recent elections and should at least get smarter about how you accomplish a conservative agenda. The public is keenly aware of gun violence because the media highlights it. It's like the media highlights private plane crashes, even though there are 100x more traffic fatalities every single day.

This is of some level of interest to me as I've allowed an OWB holster on my belt w/o a firearm (under a shirt). I'm a little less concerned as I wouldn't do that at any sort of school or transportation to a school, which is where this story took place. Yea, I know I'll take heat for not carrying 100% of the time if I'm able to.

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

I've done my bit of open carrying in a state that allows it but it was done in a smaller town. No one cared and no one called the police. I don't think anyone even noticed there was anything on my belt. I've seen a gun on a guys hip going into an HEB but he looked like a police officer and no one cared. I think it depends on the area that you're in and how the media treats gun incidents in said areas. With that said anything related to firearms has the possibility to cause panic on a University and that I don't think will go away until every single university allows people to pack heat on campus.

Open carry has its advantages but it comes with more responsibility and more attention that frankly most of us don't need or want. I would support an open carry initiative here because I could see myself using it in certain instances but regardless of the law I think if you OC in a big city, in a highly trafficked place then you're going to alarm some people.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

CoffeeNut wrote:I've done my bit of open carrying in a state that allows it but it was done in a smaller town. No one cared and no one called the police. I don't think anyone even noticed there was anything on my belt. I've seen a gun on a guys hip going into an HEB but he looked like a police officer and no one cared. I think it depends on the area that you're in and how the media treats gun incidents in said areas. With that said anything related to firearms has the possibility to cause panic on a University and that I don't think will go away until every single university allows people to pack heat on campus.

Open carry has its advantages but it comes with more responsibility and more attention that frankly most of us don't need or want. I would support an open carry initiative here because I could see myself using it in certain instances but regardless of the law I think if you OC in a big city, in a highly trafficked place then you're going to alarm some people.
Absolutely...on all points! :clapping:

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

cb1000rider wrote:
VMI77 wrote: The reason they freak out is because the schools, liberal politicians, and the MSM pound the meme that guns are scary dangerous instruments of evil that can just "go off" at any time, and it fits the prejudices of some people to believe it.
Blame the "liberals" - that's a one answer.
I think the media is more to blame than liberals. Conservatives should remember that exclusionism is part of why they've done so badly in recent elections and should at least get smarter about how you accomplish a conservative agenda. The public is keenly aware of gun violence because the media highlights it. It's like the media highlights private plane crashes, even though there are 100x more traffic fatalities every single day.

This is of some level of interest to me as I've allowed an OWB holster on my belt w/o a firearm (under a shirt). I'm a little less concerned as I wouldn't do that at any sort of school or transportation to a school, which is where this story took place. Yea, I know I'll take heat for not carrying 100% of the time if I'm able to.
I wasn't ranking them, but if I did, I'd rank the media as the biggest influence, schools next, and liberal politicians last. I'm not sure what you mean by liberal either. Twenty years ago I would have considered myself liberal. Now those calling themselves "liberals" or "progressives" are really just authoritarians. I also don't understand what exclusionism means in the context you're using it. I certainly don't see even a hint of inclusiveness with today's liberals.

Go read the comments after HuffPo and Daily KOS articles, and sometimes the articles themselves. They want anyone who doesn't agree with them either to go away (by succession), be imprisoned, or be killed. Usually when I see a thread with these comments there are very few who speak out against this attitude, say two or so out of thirty or more posting comments. They have become much more strident about the various ways of eliminating their political opponents since The One was anointed.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

VMI77 wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by liberal either. Twenty years ago I would have considered myself liberal. Now those calling themselves "liberals" or "progressives" are really just authoritarians.
+1

GlockDude26

Post by GlockDude26 »

i'd agree that OC of pistols would cause less alarm than long rifles. and it would be a way to get the population used to seeing them and i think it would start to change the image guns themselves. they'd see them everyday and more often than not nothing bad happens just because they see a gun. alot of these people freak out because the only time they see guns is on tv after the gvt gave one of their "windup toys" (mentally altered person on multiple pyscotic drugs that they prescribed them in order to "help" them) a couple guns and put them in front of a crowd and press go. most of us here know that the odds of being faced with one of these "mass shootings" is less than winning the lotto. but to the average oblivious it seems like an everyday thing.

If you look go and research these shootings you'll find that the frequency in the past few years has risen in DIRECT correlation with the gun laws that keep shoving down our throats.... and many of these events have evidence that goes directly against the claims or at the very least raise some serious questions about the so called investigations of these events they portray to the public.

i could go all day but what they need to focus on is major criminals (the ones in suits) and more people OC'ing and CC'ing along with LE will take care of the ones in hoodies and beanies... i'm all for LEO's and without them this country would be in chaos, but let's face it none of us "civilians" carry an officer in their back pocket. and i can't count the number of times i've heard from LEO friends/family that tell me the majority of the time they are the clean up crew. but instead the govt focuses on orchestrating big events (problems) that they convieniently have an answer for right away (ie "gun laws") that further strip us of our rights and make it easier for us to become the good little sheep they want to control.
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

VMI77 wrote: I wasn't ranking them, but if I did, I'd rank the media as the biggest influence, schools next, and liberal politicians last. I'm not sure what you mean by liberal either. Twenty years ago I would have considered myself liberal. Now those calling themselves "liberals" or "progressives" are really just authoritarians. I also don't understand what exclusionism means in the context you're using it. I certainly don't see even a hint of inclusiveness with today's liberals.
I know you used to consider yourself a liberal. I see lots of "Obama" and "liberal" thrown about on this forum like they're hanging level offenses. Everyone has a different meaning, but I think that for most people here it means that they identify with Republican conservative policy and a "liberal" is someone who doesn't agree with them and must be branded as such.

I should have stated "liberal politician" like you did, if that makes it more clear.

Exclusionism - Republicans have alienated Mexican Amercians, homosexuals, women on specific issues, and if you go back even father somehow African Americans switched sides. I say this in general, not that there aren't exceptions within more centralist Republicans. Those are just a few off the top of my head. The Mexican American thing is a big problem in Texas, if you want it to continue to be a red state... As the demographics are shifting that way - that's going to be the majority base. Regardless of what you think about those groups or issues, it's hasn't been a very good play for political survivability.. And it's worse because of the demographics in Texas.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

cb1000rider wrote:Exclusionism - Republicans have alienated Mexican Amercians, homosexuals, women on specific issues, and if you go back even father somehow African Americans switched sides. I say this in general, not that there aren't exceptions within more centralist Republicans. Those are just a few off the top of my head. The Mexican American thing is a big problem in Texas, if you want it to continue to be a red state... As the demographics are shifting that way - that's going to be the majority base. Regardless of what you think about those groups or issues, it's hasn't been a very good play for political survivability.. And it's worse because of the demographics in Texas.
That clears it up for me, I hadn't actually thought of it in those terms. However, I'm not sure how much of the supposed alienation is true and how much is just a media strategy for fundamentally altering the Republic. The Hispanics I've spoken with and work with can't stand Obama. They also don't like illegal immigration and the welfare system. It's undeniable that large numbers of uneducated Hispanics heavily favor the Democrats, but it's because the Democrats have bought them off, not because they're more inclusive. If Hispanic immigrants were to start voting majority Republican (not that it would matter much at this point, as the Republican Party is just as corrupt as the Democrats) the Democrats would put the military on the border and seal it off tighter than a drum.

They have the African American vote because Dems made a large part of the African American community dependent on government. The Dems would throw them under the bus in a heartbeat if they ceased being dependent on government. In general, women see the world differently than men do and are a little more likely to lean towards collectivism, so the most collectivist party is probably always going to attract a majority of women. All these voting blocks are just tools for getting and keeping power; the Democrats have just historically been smarter and less ethically constrained in the use of their tools. Fostering and imposing dependency is the way the left gets power.

With regards to both women and homosexuals specifically I think you have more of a point. The way Republicans have appealed to a part of their base is exclusionary, though a lot of it is exaggerated and amplified in the media, and doesn't constitute the threat that is hyped. They also don't really believe a lot of their own rhetoric which is obvious when we observe what they actually do while they're in office. OTOH, the militant feminists and homosexuals are causing a backlash by their actions, deliberately so, and it's getting to the point that those who would have been their allies are throwing their hands up in disgust. Especially since neither group cares a wit about the rights of anyone who doesn't share their agenda. I think those women and homosexuals who feel excluded by the fake conservatives in the Republican Party aren't satisfied with mere equality or fair treatment.....they're seeking recognition and special privileges, that the Democrats are willing to grant without regard to the Constitution. Homosexuals taking a Christian bakery to court because it wouldn't bake them a wedding cake are not people seeking fair or equal treatment, they're narcissists seeking to impose what they want on others who want something different. I don't want to make this a Democrat/Republican thing --in almost all these political groups people who genuinely embrace the principles embodied in our Constitution are in short supply. Perhaps something can be saved at the state and local level, but the national leadership of both parties needs to be expunged.

At this point the system can't be fixed by the ballot box; the ballot box is what broke it in the first place. The Founders knew Democracies don't last and that's why they created a Republic. One man one vote is a prescription for failure....two wolves and a lamb, as they say, voting on what's for dinner. The takers find their payouts at the ballot box and we're already at the point where the takers out number the makers. It's only a matter of time now until the "Democracy" erodes what remains of the Republic, and the pace has greatly accelerated under The One. Economic collapse is now inevitable, it also is just a matter of time. It may take five years or twenty years, I have no idea, but our system is unsustainable in its current form and there is no will to fix it. And that lack of will may actually make a kind of sick sense, because what's needed to fix it may well produce results that are as bad or worse than letting it run its course.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

VMI77 wrote: At this point the system can't be fixed by the ballot box; the ballot box is what broke it in the first place. The Founders knew Democracies don't last and that's why they created a Republic. One man one vote is a prescription for failure....two wolves and a lamb, as they say, voting on what's for dinner. The takers find their payouts at the ballot box and we're already at the point where the takers out number the makers. It's only a matter of time now until the "Democracy" erodes what remains of the Republic, and the pace has greatly accelerated under The One. Economic collapse is now inevitable, it also is just a matter of time. It may take five years or twenty years, I have no idea, but our system is unsustainable in its current form and there is no will to fix it. And that lack of will may actually make a kind of sick sense, because what's needed to fix it may well produce results that are as bad or worse than letting it run its course.
If that's true, and it may well be, what's got you sticking around? I'm not revolutionary - and I'm smart enough that if I was a revolutionary, I wouldn't be talking about it on the open internet knowing our federal government's habits for consuming data. I've seen various people prescribe to the coming revoltion/war/dooms-day, but we've had those people for as long as we've had documentation...

I can see us going broke as a country, but we'll be the last in a long line of economic collapse... Or maybe the first that triggers the rest of the world.

Maybe I should go build that bunker? For now, we'll just call it a tornado shelter so I'm not appropriately labelled.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”