First Post - Positive LEO encounter

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Wichitagreg
Posts in topic: 2

First Post - Positive LEO encounter

Post by Wichitagreg »

This is my first post on this board. I moved to Texas permanently after my retirement in Kansas. Was CHL there from the beginning of their law, and am now a CHL in Texas. I carry all the time where and when I can IAW laws and posted signage.

My first ever LEO contact was recently in Menard TX while traveling back to western KS for a funeral. My brother and I were in his 2010 F150 traveling North on US83. I was driving, my SP101 in an ankle rig, it was early morning but well after sunrise. Being my age, I usually always follow posted speed limits, especially while passing through small towns on main highways. Suddenly I see the flashing lights in my rear view mirror of a LEO.

I told my brother I didn't think I was speeding, he agreed. I pulled over quickly and got as far off the road as I could. Put it in park, windows down, both hands clearly on the wheel. I watched her approach in the side view mirror, an attractive blond Deputy. She spoke briefly introducing herself and asked if we knew why she stopped us. We said no, and she pointed out that the inspection sticker had expired at the end of November. I chuckled and pointed at my brother and told her it was his truck. Then I told her I had to inform her that I was legally armed. She asked where is it, and I told her on my ankle. She said ok and we discussed the expired inspection sticker for a few moments and she wished us safe travels.

It was a positive experience, I only wish I could remember her name, I'd send her a thank you card.

Greg
Center Point

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First Post - Positive LEO encounter

Post by Keith B »

glock27 wrote:Went well. But ur not obligated to tell them your armed by law. You dont even have to give them your chl. Imo i would be careful how you mention" im armed". with the wrong officer it could be taken the wrong way. I dont tell unless asked. But i do provide chl with dl in hopes of getting out of a ticket. The will see you have a chl whwn they run your dl. Still i dont respond to im armed unless asked.

Sorry for grammer and spelling via cell phone
Actually, yes you do have to give them your CHL by law, but only if carrying and asked for ID. While there is no penalty any longer, the law still exists where you must provide it.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

From CHL-16
GC §411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. (a) If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
Wichitagreg

Post by Wichitagreg »

My exact words were "I must inform you that I am legally armed." Her facial expression changed noticeably, and she asked quickly where it was. Other than that, nothing was said about it.

I would not say "I have a gun."

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

glock27 wrote:I stand corrected. I was under the impression that mpa was in place.

Apologies
The MPA is in place. You're disadvantaged with a CHL because disclosure is required. No penalty currently for not disclosing, but as your CHL is likely going to show anyway, I wouldn't want to have that conversation.
No CHL? You don't have to disclose.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

cb1000rider ,

"The MPA is in place."

The OP said he has a Texas CHL.

So how does your statement apply...?

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Abraham,

I was responding to:
glock27 wrote:I stand corrected. I was under the impression that mpa was in place.
The MPA is there, it's just that CHL has a higher disclosure standard.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”