Jackson: Gun owner unarmed, unwelcome in Maryland

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

http://tbo.com/list/columns-tjackson/ja ... -20140112/
HUDSON – John Filippidis, silver-haired family man, business owner, employer and taxpayer, is also licensed to carry a concealed firearm.

He’d rather he didn’t feel the need, “but things aren’t like they used to be. The break-ins, the burglaries, all the crime. And I carry cash a lot of the time. I’m constantly going to the bank.

——{SNIP}——

“You own a gun,” the officer says. “Where is it?”

“At home in my safe,” John answers.

“Don’t move,” says the officer.

Now he’s at the passenger’s window. “Your husband owns a gun,” he says. “Where is it?”

First Kally says, “I don’t know.” Retelling it later she says, “And that’s all I should have said.” Instead, attempting to be helpful, she added, “Maybe in the glove [box]. Maybe in the console. I’m scared of it. I don’t want to have anything to do with it. I might shoot right through my foot.”

The officer came back to John. “You’re a liar. You’re lying to me. Your family says you have it. Where is the gun? Tell me where it is and we can resolve this right now.”
Nightmare ensues.

Delaware......one more state that I wouldn't give the sweat off my butt if they were dying of thirst.....
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Jackson: Gun owner unarmed, unwelcome in Maryland

Post by Oldgringo »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Jackson: Gun owner unarmed, unwelcome in Maryland
http://tbo.com/list/columns-tjackson/ja ... -20140112/
HUDSON – John Filippidis, silver-haired family man, business owner, employer and taxpayer, is also licensed to carry a concealed firearm.

He’d rather he didn’t feel the need, “but things aren’t like they used to be. The break-ins, the burglaries, all the crime. And I carry cash a lot of the time. I’m constantly going to the bank.

——{SNIP}——

“You own a gun,” the officer says. “Where is it?”

“At home in my safe,” John answers.

“Don’t move,” says the officer.

Now he’s at the passenger’s window. “Your husband owns a gun,” he says. “Where is it?”

First Kally says, “I don’t know.” Retelling it later she says, “And that’s all I should have said.” Instead, attempting to be helpful, she added, “Maybe in the glove [box]. Maybe in the console. I’m scared of it. I don’t want to have anything to do with it. I might shoot right through my foot.”

The officer came back to John. “You’re a liar. You’re lying to me. Your family says you have it. Where is the gun? Tell me where it is and we can resolve this right now.”
Nightmare ensues.

Delaware......one more state that I wouldn't give the sweat off my butt if they were dying of thirst.....
Yep, we'd like to RV up the east coast and into New England, while we can, but local fecal matter such as this will cause us to visit that part of our country via DVD....which is much cheaper and friendlier.

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmra »

Just plain stupid. When will people say enough is enough.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Delaware......one more state that I wouldn't give the sweat off my butt if they were dying of thirst.....
Didn't this happen in Maryland?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

I'd like to see video and/or audio of what transpired to see if they are that Draconian. Lots of bad stories come out of those states concerning even leos carrying weapons.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

One of the problems with having your CHL attached to your DL.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

nightmare
Deactivated until real name is provided

Post by nightmare »

jmra wrote:Just plain stupid. When will people say enough is enough.
Don't hold your breath. We're far past the point where the colonists would have tarred and feathered those royalists.
Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Dave2 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Delaware......one more state that I wouldn't give the sweat off my butt if they were dying of thirst.....
Didn't this happen in Maryland?
You're right, it was Maryland. I had a senior moment. :oops:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

“You’re a liar. You’re lying to me. Your family says you have it. Where is the gun? Tell me where it is and we can resolve this right now.”
That would be enough to get me to start spewing the "am I being detained?" and "I do not consent to searches" type stuff. What is it with some of these States and some of their police departments? I didn't know you could issue the God complex. :mad5
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

CoffeeNut wrote:
“You’re a liar. You’re lying to me. Your family says you have it. Where is the gun? Tell me where it is and we can resolve this right now.”
That would be enough to get me to start spewing the "am I being detained?" and "I do not consent to searches" type stuff. What is it with some of these States and some of their police departments? I didn't know you could issue the God complex. :mad5
Your Texas license plate is a magnet for these type leo personalities. Outsiders (yankees) think that we're all gun totin' cowboys 'cause that's what they saw in the picture shows of their 'yoot. Look no further than Austin, TX for confirmation. :roll:

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Oldgringo wrote:
CoffeeNut wrote:
Your Texas license plate is a magnet for these type leo personalities. Outsiders (yankees) think that we're all gun totin' cowboys 'cause that's what they saw in the picture shows of their 'yoot. Look no further than Austin, TX for confirmation. :roll:
My car was searched for guns on the Canadian side of the border for about an hour before I could go on into their country. Why? Texas license plate.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

philip964 wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
CoffeeNut wrote:
My car was searched for guns on the Canadian side of the border for about an hour before I could go on into their country. Why? Texas license plate.
Several years ago, we had a female fruit police person want to go through our vehicles as we entered Kalifornia north of Reno. She had homed in on the Texas plates. OTOH, we breezed right through customs as we entered BC summer before last.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

philip964 wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
CoffeeNut wrote:
A couple of years ago, we were admitted to Ontario with our RV without any sort search. We had carefully researched the food/alcohol restrictions and were well within compliance. The Canadian border guard asked repeated questions about firearms - did I have any, did I own any. I told her that I was very familiar with all of the Canadian laws on firearms and that I had left all of ours back in Texas. She sent us on our way.

The sadist part of this incident is the attitude of the man and his wife. I get it that some people don't like guns but I wish that there were a way to help people like the wife deal better with their fears. The fact that the guy, from another State, is being coerced into giving up his means of protecting himself and his family by this overzealous "law" enforcement is exactly what those behind it want. The Transportation LEOs are not accountable to any local community. The Port Authority police in NJ/NY are the reason that I would never try to travel through there using FOPA. They do target out of State tags and even switching my ammo to FMJ for the trip might not keep me out of jail or an expensive court matter. We have to drive through a very short stretch of MD on I-81 when going to PA and my nerves are on edge the whole time. Out of 1,500 miles, it is those few in MD that bother me because they are the only ones along the entire route where my CHL isn't valid.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

chasfm11 wrote: Out of 1,500 miles, it is those few in MD that bother me because they are the only ones along the entire route where my CHL isn't valid.

You could quit using IH 81 and start using IH 79 through Morgantown, WV to get into PA. Probably more two lane roads and small towns, but less worry about MD police.
:evil2:

I just checked the distance. That is only 12 miles across MD on 81.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Back in 2001, I spent about 6 weeks in Cape Cod, Mass.

Daily I drove my pickup all over the place with Texas plates.

Not once was I stopped.

Have the anti's now gotten so compelling that a return journey would be fraught with anti gun LEO harassment because of my plates?

Ah, forget about it, I'm never leaving Texas again!

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”