LEO Shoots Cruiser

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
howdy
Posts in topic: 2

LEO Shoots Cruiser

Post by howdy »

http://www.wptz.com/news/vermont-new-yo ... ource=wptz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :banghead:
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

jmra

Re: LEO Shoots Cruiser

Post by jmra »

I've killed a few transmissions in my youth but never like that.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

One of my nephews killed the tranny in a 1986 Chevy P/U when he was a teenager. "rlol"
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

A patrolman in our town, a very long time ago, put a round through the exhaust pipe. Just missed his foot on the brake pedal.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

jimlongley wrote:A patrolman in our town, a very long time ago, put a round through the exhaust pipe. Just missed his foot on the brake pedal.
Was he trying to hit his foot? :shock:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Firmly grasp charging handle with thumb and fore finger, wrap your hand around grip with finger firmly on trigger, push, pull & squeeze until round is no longer in the chamber, there it is cleared. "rlol"
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Looks like he cleared it pretty well. I've carried an M16 in many foreign countries with thousands of fellow Americans over several decades and I don't believe I've ever fired one round without my finger squeezing the trigger. None of my buddies did either. Except one, but that's a different story....

"A Williston police officer was clearing a semi-automatic rifle Saturday when IT accidentally discharged."
III

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

C-dub wrote:
jimlongley wrote:A patrolman in our town, a very long time ago, put a round through the exhaust pipe. Just missed his foot on the brake pedal.
Was he trying to hit his foot? :shock:
No, he was in a situation where he felt he was going to have to pull his gun, and because the duty belt of our town police made it hard to draw while sitting in the car, he unholstered his revolver and was moving it toward his lap when he discharged it adjacent to his right leg, toward the floor of the car. The bullet just grazed the brake pedal, went through the lower firewall of the footwell, and passed through the exhaust pipe just below the manifold collector. There was no way he could even make up a cover story so he just toughed it out and admitted that the round went off.

He said he had no idea that his finger was on the trigger and did claim that he thought he snagged the hammer and pulled it far enough back so that when it released it fired the round. The department armorer assured those of us that he told, that the half cock notch was in fine shape and that the only way the gun would have fired was if the trigger had been pulled.

My girlfriend's father owned a local garage and the police had him try to braze, and then weld, the holes, but nothing would hold, so he finally replaced the pipe from the collector to the muffler, and hung the old pipe on the wall of the garage as a trophy.

The situation, by the way, was resolved without anyone resorting to gunplay and with all the windows closed on the patrol car hardly anyone noticed the shot, except our hero, who was appropriately affected by acoustic shock. "HUH?"
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

ELB

Post by ELB »

jimlongley wrote: ... There was no way he could even make up a cover story so he just toughed it out and admitted that the round went off.
Probably for the best (toughing it out, not launching the round).

I have a S&W Model 19 that was used to execute a police car. Several decades ago, when I was a kid, one of our county deputies managed to fire a round through the dash of his car while sitting inside of it. Instead of "toughing it out, " he got out, fired a few more rounds into his car, and told the sheriff that someone had shot at him. The sheriff had only one arm (well, one and a half plus a hook) but did have a fully functioning nonsense detector, and pretty soon there was an opening for a patrol deputy and a Model 19 for sale at the sheriff's office, just check at the dispatcher's counter. My Dad bought it, and I inherited it. It has not claimed any more vehicles, police or otherwise, while being supervised by me and my dad.
USAF 1982-2005

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

rbwhatever1 wrote:Looks like he cleared it pretty well. I've carried an M16 in many foreign countries with thousands of fellow Americans over several decades and I don't believe I've ever fired one round without my finger squeezing the trigger. None of my buddies did either. Except one, but that's a different story....

"A Williston police officer was clearing a semi-automatic rifle Saturday when IT accidentally discharged."

Not sure what this post has to do with Texas CHL

This is an inherent risk when making a rifle patrol ready as that requires one to press the trigger, in the real everybody is not as perfect as those in here, :smilelol5:
Last edited by texanjoker on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

texanjoker wrote:
This is an inherent risk when making a rifle patrol ready as that requires one to press the trigger, ...
:confused5 :confused5
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

n5wd wrote:
texanjoker wrote:
This is an inherent risk when making a rifle patrol ready as that requires one to press the trigger, ...
:confused5 :confused5

Patrol ready is the term for how a rifle is carried on duty. After the rifle was deployed, a round would have been chambered. After the incident is over the rifle is unloaded, and to make it patrol ready the trigger must be pressed. The magazine is then reinserted and the rifle is patrol ready. Obviously playing with a loaded gun is a risk and in police work an inherent risk as this is done often in the field. Obviously they didnt clear the rifle correctly, which happens with human error. Leo will probably be disciplined. Patrol rifles and shotguns are not carried with a round in the chamber until deployed. All it needs is to be chambered and its ready for another incident as no safety is on when kept in this manner. I've heard the term combat ready for this but in LE we call it patrol ready.

talltex

Post by talltex »

texanjoker wrote:

This is an inherent risk when making a rifle patrol ready as that requires one to press the trigger, in the real everybody is not as perfect as those in here, :smilelol5:
It didn't have anything to do with Texas CHL...that's why he posted it under LEO Contacts & Bloopers. If the protocol calls for carrying it with empty chamber in the vehicle, then failing to remove the round from the chamber and subsequently shooting the patrol car definitely qualifies as a blooper in my book. Doesn't have anything to do with "those in here" being perfect...just the kind of careless mistake that happens to LEO's and non LEO's alike. That's why it's called an accident.
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

talltex wrote:
texanjoker wrote:

It didn't have anything to do with Texas CHL...that's why he posted it under LEO Contacts & Bloopers. If the protocol calls for carrying it with empty chamber in the vehicle, then failing to remove the round from the chamber and subsequently shooting the patrol car definitely qualifies as a blooper in my book. Doesn't have anything to do with "those in here" being perfect...just the kind of careless mistake that happens to LEO's and non LEO's alike. That's why it's called an accident.[/quote

: if I wanted to read this nonsense everyday I would visit an anti Leo website..... :tiphat:

10mmillie

Post by 10mmillie »

I had a friend I went through the police academy with go to work for a small department where they were required to keep the shotgun in the rack with the safety off and hammer down. He used it on a raid and after putting it back in the rack forgot to clear the chamber and put a slug through the roof of the car. Luckily he missed the light bar.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”