First time being nervous while carrying!

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Cshuff21
Posts in topic: 1

First time being nervous while carrying!

Post by Cshuff21 »

Today was the first time since I got my CHL that I was nervous when I was in public carrying my weapon. When I first got my CHL in the mail in January 2014 I had no problems going into public places. I didn't feel myself tugging on my shirt/jacket or anything like that. That all changed today when I went to lunch(buffet) and two uniform Sheriff Officers came in right after me to eat as well. I just felt like I was doing something wrong even though I wasn't but still just felt weird. They were seated at the table next to me so every time I got up I was afraid they could see my weapon and I constantly kept tugging on my shirt to make sure it hadn't slid up. Which I'm sure brought more attention but thankfully they didn't notice and was a successful encounter(if you could even call it that) they were just minding their own business eating lunch while I was stressing for no reason.

Just thought I would share my first nervous moment.
"Suns up...Guns Up" Texas Tech!

Teamless

Re: First time being nervous while carrying!

Post by Teamless »

i remember feeling that way a few years ago
but it will go away over time.
You have to remember, as you well stated, you are not doing anything wrong.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

jbarn
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jbarn »

Not unusual at all....
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Cshuff21 wrote:Today was the first time since I got my CHL that I was nervous when I was in public carrying my weapon...
Depending on what kind of venues you frequent, chance often hands you situations where you might find your pulse elevating a bit and with the sweat glands going into overdrive. But, as you have found out, it usually turns out to be nothing to worry about.

You're probably concealing your weapon quite effectively and the deputies were probably in the green zone while they were down for meal break.

And now that you know it's "no sweat", hopefully if another instance arises, you'll be less concerned... not absolutely unconscious about it, but not overly concerned.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I had carried for several months and was comfortable about it before I had my first experience (I won't call it an encounter) with an LEO. It was in Mississippi at a welcome center. Judging by the surrounding area, the officer was there for a reason. He was closely watching everything that was going on when I got out of the RV. I had to walk our dogs right past him to get to the pet area. While I doubt that my physical appearance gave him any reason to worry about me, I was more than a little concerned that I was in a different State and that he was not a Texas based LEO. He nodded when I walked passed and kept on watching everything else. I figured that I was ever going to be outed by an LEO, that might be the time. No worries.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

A year from now that will happen and you'll just smile to yourself. ;-)
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

I know exactly what you mean!

I was in Harbor Freight this weekend picking up some cheap tools that I didn't need and I almost accidentally bumped into another guy in the aisle. I took a step back from the shelf and almost into him and when I did he put his hand right on my gun (by accident) to let me know he was behind me.

We exchanged the obligatory "excuse me" and "no problem". But I thought if this guys knows what he put his hand on and is an unfriendly attitude toward the cause this could be trouble. Now everything was 100% concealed but this accidental contact gave the whole thing away.

He went one way and I another just going about our shopping. I was waiting for the MWAG call.

About 5 minutes later, while I was looking at something down a particular aisle when I noticed an SLPD officer walk into the store. He walked straight to the aisle I was one and right next to me. He started looking at a drill press that I was standing next to. I kept cool and my phone rang at that exact moment so I answered it and calmly walked away to see if he would follow. But he didn't. I just kept shopping. A few minutes later I saw him leaving the store with a bag full of goodies. What a coincidence?

I know I wasn't doing anything wrong but the Fuzz still makes me nervous to be around regardless of whether I am armed or not, breaking the law or not. From some of the horrific headlines you read it seems that sometimes you not doing anything wrong is not enough for them to leave you alone these days.

I'll have to get a dog just to make sure they shoot it first instead of one of my kids (the kids are small, have long hair-girls and make a lot of noise when people are at the door).
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

txcharvel

Post by txcharvel »

I was out with the wife one night and as we walked up to the restaurant I found a wallet on the steps outside. When we got inside and were seated I started looking through the wallet for a name. As I looked around, the only other occupied table was full of police officers and sheriff deputies obviously on dinner break. I walked up to the table and said "excuse me, is anyone here named XXXXXX". Sure enough, one of the police officers had dropped his wallet on the way in.

I was armed the whole time. I thought about it for a split second, but felt confident the entire time. I consciously made an effort not to tug on my shirt :coolgleamA:

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

txcharvel wrote:I was out with the wife one night and as we walked up to the restaurant I found a wallet on the steps outside. When we got inside and were seated I started looking through the wallet for a name. As I looked around, the only other occupied table was full of police officers and sheriff deputies obviously on dinner break. I walked up to the table and said "excuse me, is anyone here named XXXXXX". Sure enough, one of the police officers had dropped his wallet on the way in.

I was armed the whole time. I thought about it for a split second, but felt confident the entire time. I consciously made an effort not to tug on my shirt :coolgleamA:
When I first got my CHL I made plans to have lunch with another Forum member at a little hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant in Galveston.
I heard from a friend that they had very good and inexpensive food and was a popular place with the locals.
It was hard for me to find because they hadn't replaced the sign after Hurricane Ike.
When we arrived the place was empty so I didn't feel too self conscious.
After we ordered the place starting filling up pretty fast and pretty soon the place was packed with people.
I started to look around and noticed that about 90% were carrying hand guns.
I didn't know that it was so close to the local PD and county court house!
At first I was a little nervous, but then I starting laughing to myself thinking that nobody would be stupid enough to try to rob this place. :smilelol5:
NRA Endowment Member

Pecos

Post by Pecos »

I've been there before, I know what you mean. but that will change with time & getting more use to carrying near LEOs. I just keep my CHL handy incase. No need to be nervous when your doing the right things. :thumbs2:
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

Texsquatch

Post by Texsquatch »

I don't get nervous much any more, but I did recently attend a meeting with several members of the Texas Guard, local police and fire fighters. I literally forgot that I was carrying - well, not forgot, but it's such a habit that I'm fairly confortable. To my left was a police officer that I know, to my right, the chief and asst chief of police. Being that I was the only person not in a uniform, I started thinking about my status as a normal citizen, and started to wonder what if I was to print or accidentally expose my pistol. I mentally laughed it off, and during the conversation, I sat back in my chair. Then it happened...the ol' gun leather "creeeeek". The officers "creeked" periodically, either they thought it was one of their own, or didn't care or didn't notice. I had to force myself not to laugh out loud.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

WildBill,

Would you be willing to state the name of the Mexican restaurant?

Or, barring that, PM me with the name?

I absolutely love Mexican food, but a lot of Mexican restaurants are just mediocre or dumbed down in flavor to appeal to a mass market.

Finding a little gem of a restaurant, especially a Mexican one, is a real treat.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

My first "contact" with LEOs post-license was at the conclusion of my wally walk. As I'm exiting the store, I see a uniformed city pd standing outside. I went through the 'uh-oh, it's ok I'm not doing anything wrong, oh no' thoughts in about half a second. I got worried when the officer waived in my direction and motioned to come to him. Turns out he was waiving at another pd waiting in a car down the way. Since then I don't give it a second thought & even have to make myself quit staring at their rig to see what they're carrying.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

Abraham wrote:WildBill,

Would you be willing to state the name of the Mexican restaurant?
No problem - El Jardin in Galveston.

FYI- they are open Mon-Sat 6:00AM-2:00PM for breakfast and lunch. No dinner. :=(
NRA Endowment Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I usually tell new folks carrying it's wise to avoid all donut shops until comfortable being around LEO's while armed. :evil2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”