Slow crime night in Boerne.

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Slow crime night in Boerne.

Post by jmra »

gigag04 wrote:
Robert*PPS wrote:
jmra wrote: I sure do wish I could get paid for fishing. :mrgreen:
AMEN!!!!! :clapping:
Go join up. Most pd's have regular testing events.

It's enough fun and a good way to give back, I do it for free now.
If I had the time to do the academy I would love to be a reserve officer. Maybe after the kids finish school.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Excaliber »

clarionite wrote:
gregthehand wrote:I only post this because I'd hate for someone to read the posts and then possibly argue with a cop someday that they are legal because they've got one of the two lights working. The single light on your Tahoe may illuminate the plate enough but another make and model may not. Even a guest may read this post and act the fool, who knows. I figured it would be good to post the law.
I would hope that people who frequent this forum have the sense to know that during a traffic stop, on the side of the road is not the time and place to argue the finer points of the law with a LEO. There is plenty of time for that in a court room with many more witnesses, and you can bring your own lawyer to argue the point for you. I'm pretty sure nobody ever argued their way out of a ticket, or had the LEO change his/her mind about issuing the citation due to the sarcastic comments made while they were performing the stop.
Actually that's not technically correct.

I have seen such behavior influence an officer's decision to not stop at only one citation. If really pushed, a knowledgeable officer can write just about as long as someone can mouth off.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

gigag04 wrote:
Robert*PPS wrote:
jmra wrote: I sure do wish I could get paid for fishing. :mrgreen:
AMEN!!!!! :clapping:
Go join up. Most pd's have regular testing events.

It's enough fun and a good way to give back, I do it for free now.

:thumbs2:

Take the test; pass the background (job history/credit/criminal/references,ect); pass the psych; pass the physical; pass the string of interviews; polygraph in some places; make it through an academy; pass the state test to get a license; make it through training; then get a badge and go hunt for crooks...

clarionite
Posts in topic: 4

Post by clarionite »

Excaliber wrote:
clarionite wrote:
gregthehand wrote:I only post this because I'd hate for someone to read the posts and then possibly argue with a cop someday that they are legal because they've got one of the two lights working. The single light on your Tahoe may illuminate the plate enough but another make and model may not. Even a guest may read this post and act the fool, who knows. I figured it would be good to post the law.
I would hope that people who frequent this forum have the sense to know that during a traffic stop, on the side of the road is not the time and place to argue the finer points of the law with a LEO. There is plenty of time for that in a court room with many more witnesses, and you can bring your own lawyer to argue the point for you. I'm pretty sure nobody ever argued their way out of a ticket, or had the LEO change his/her mind about issuing the citation due to the sarcastic comments made while they were performing the stop.

I have seen such behavior influence an officer's decision to not stop at only one citation. If really pushed, a knowledgeable officer can write just about as long as someone can mouth off.
I'm sure that's correct. I only know of one person who got out of a ticket by bluster and attitude. That was many years ago in a very small community. The jerk who got off was someone with enough juice that he'd have gotten it dropped the same day with a few calls. He actually told the officer to shut up and write him the ticket or send him on his way, he didn't have time to deal with his stupidity today. But for most of us, that wouldn't have ended well.

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 9

Post by mojo84 »

clarionite wrote:
Excaliber wrote:
clarionite wrote:

I'm sure that's correct. I only know of one person who got out of a ticket by bluster and attitude. That was many years ago in a very small community. The jerk who got off was someone with enough juice that he'd have gotten it dropped the same day with a few calls. He actually told the officer to shut up and write him the ticket or send him on his way, he didn't have time to deal with his stupidity today. But for most of us, that wouldn't have ended well.
It'll be a cold day before I try this tactic. Now, I might be thinking it in my head but won't let it pass my filter.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

clarionite
Posts in topic: 4

Post by clarionite »

Just to make it clear, that jerk was not me. He was a politically connected veterinarian in a rural town in southern MO. A real peach of a guy.

No way I'd have the nerve to say that even if I were thinking it. And having worked with LEO most of my adult life, It would have to be a really bad encounter for me to even think it.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

clarionite wrote:Just to make it clear, that jerk was not me. He was a politically connected veterinarian in a rural town in southern MO. A real peach of a guy.

No way I'd have the nerve to say that even if I were thinking it. And having worked with LEO most of my adult life, It would have to be a really bad encounter for me to even think it.
I coul.d see that if I were the only doctor in a small town actually. . . :eek6

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

gregthehand wrote: (g) A taillamp, including a separate lamp used to illuminate
a rear license plate, must emit a light when a headlamp or auxiliary
driving lamp is lighted.
I just wanted to emphasize this point. This is the law that says that if the manufacturer put three lamps on each side, all three must be kept working. The same goes for two license plate lamps. One may be enough to illuminate the plate, but all lamps installed on the car by the manufacturer must be working.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I agreed with another poster on traffic stops. I have made many felony arrests that started as traffic stops. One that jumps to mind started as an expired registration sticker that I had intended to give a warning on. The marijuana in plain view on the front seat led me to look further into things. It turned out the car had been stolen two years earlier and the registration was from the thief's car. He had been halfway smart and stolen the same year and make/model as his car and just kept the registration going. He just got a little sloppy that year.

Having said that, I don't think the officer in the OP was fishing. He probably did not pull out because of the license plate light, but noticed it as soon as he was behind the car. The blocks to stop the car was probably waiting for a return on running the license plate before stopping him.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 9

Post by mojo84 »

$.81 and about 45 second of time. That's what it took to fix it. Sure thankful he only gave me a warning.

I understand about waiting on the plate return. However, the way he took off across the parking lot and into the street to get behind me, I think he had already decided he wanted to stop me. Then saw the light out which game him his reason. Otherwise, I think he would have followed me until I did something to give him as reason to make the stop. He was didn't just leisurely pull out if the parking lot and get behind me.

I understand the game and don't hold any anymosity toward him. My fault for giving him an excuse to stop me.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

srothstein wrote:
gregthehand wrote: (g) A taillamp, including a separate lamp used to illuminate
a rear license plate, must emit a light when a headlamp or auxiliary
driving lamp is lighted.
I just wanted to emphasize this point. This is the law that says that if the manufacturer put three lamps on each side, all three must be kept working. The same goes for two license plate lamps. One may be enough to illuminate the plate, but all lamps installed on the car by the manufacturer must be working.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I agreed with another poster on traffic stops. I have made many felony arrests that started as traffic stops. One that jumps to mind started as an expired registration sticker that I had intended to give a warning on. The marijuana in plain view on the front seat led me to look further into things. It turned out the car had been stolen two years earlier and the registration was from the thief's car. He had been halfway smart and stolen the same year and make/model as his car and just kept the registration going. He just got a little sloppy that year.

Having said that, I don't think the officer in the OP was fishing. He probably did not pull out because of the license plate light, but noticed it as soon as he was behind the car. The blocks to stop the car was probably waiting for a return on running the license plate before stopping him.

That and watching driving, deciding a safe place to make the stop and of course had to finish his bagel :cheers2:

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”