Slow crime night in Boerne.

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 9

Slow crime night in Boerne.

Post by mojo84 »

Leaving my daughter's school this evening, my wife and I pass a cop sitting in a parking lot at the corner of the intersection. He jumped in behind me and followed for three blocks including one left hand turn. He finally lights me up. He approached the car and I was prepared with DL and CHL in hand. He advised me he stopped me because my license plate light is not working. He went and ran his checks. When he came back he acknowledged my fairly recent attendance at the Sheriff's Citizens Academy. Returned my license and chl along with a written warning. Very pleasant guy and never mentioned my weapons, which I had two with me. It was obvious he was just looking for a reason to stop me and see if there might be something up. I got home and checked my license plate lights and yep, one of the two is burned out.

No harm no foul.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Slow crime night in Boerne.

Post by jmra »

mojo84 wrote:Leaving my daughter's school this evening, my wife and I pass a cop sitting in a parking lot at the corner of the intersection. He jumped in behind me and followed for three blocks including one left hand turn. He finally lights me up. He approached the car and I was prepared with DL and CHL in hand. He advised me he stopped me because my license plate light is not working. He went and ran his checks. When he came back he acknowledged my fairly recent attendance at the Sheriff's Citizens Academy. Returned my license and chl along with a written warning. Very pleasant guy and never mentioned my weapons, which I had two with me. It was obvious he was just looking for a reason to stop me and see if there might be something up. I got home and checked my license plate lights and yep, one of the two is burned out.

No harm no foul.
I sure do wish I could get paid for fishing. :mrgreen:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Me too!
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

clarionite
Posts in topic: 4

Post by clarionite »

mojo84 wrote:Leaving my daughter's school this evening, my wife and I pass a cop sitting in a parking lot at the corner of the intersection. He jumped in behind me and followed for three blocks including one left hand turn. He finally lights me up. He approached the car and I was prepared with DL and CHL in hand. He advised me he stopped me because my license plate light is not working. He went and ran his checks. When he came back he acknowledged my fairly recent attendance at the Sheriff's Citizens Academy. Returned my license and chl along with a written warning. Very pleasant guy and never mentioned my weapons, which I had two with me. It was obvious he was just looking for a reason to stop me and see if there might be something up. I got home and checked my license plate lights and yep, one of the two is burned out.

No harm no foul.
Most the officers here are pretty nice. There is one though... I'll just say he's a master angler.

I've been here 6 years. No really bad interactions with the LEOs here. But some were more pleasant than others.
5 years ago while I was quitting smoking, I did get "Pulled over" while I was walking off some cravings. He explained that he wanted to make sure I hadn't been drinking. I kept thinking, if I were drinking shouldn't I walk home as opposed to drive? :evil2:

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Some are young and gungho looking to rid the world of high crime. Small town police work can be mighty boring about 99% of the time. You never know when that middle aged couple in a Tahoe is going to turn out to he the next Bonnie and Clyde. I do feel Boerne is much safer now.

Robert*PPS
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Robert*PPS »

jmra wrote: I sure do wish I could get paid for fishing. :mrgreen:
AMEN!!!!! :clapping:

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

I've had pleasant run ins with Boerne PD at the Walmart there, just friendly chitchat while waiting in line. A friend of mine did the Citizen Sheriff's Academy there and did a ride along and was truly bored out of his mind which I guess you can't complain about since it means all is safe. :lol::

I did notice that they've been a bit more active in patrols recently including sitting on the highway running radar or whatever.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

A-R

Post by A-R »

jmra wrote:I sure do wish I could get paid for fishing. :mrgreen:
Not fishing. There was a legitimate issue (light burned out) and the officer pulled over the car to inform the operator of the issue. As OP said, no harm no foul.

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

A-R wrote:
Not fishing. There was a legitimate issue (light burned out) and the officer pulled over the car to inform the operator of the issue. As OP said, no harm no foul.
From the OP:
"It was obvious he was just looking for a reason to stop me and see if there might be something up."

Fishing.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Bonc_CHL

Post by Bonc_CHL »

Is there a law that says you need to have two license plate light? The OP said that when he got home he checked and only one was out.....

Sounds like fishing to me.
Springfield XD40 Sub-compact
S&W Model 37

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

A-R wrote:
Then there are those who think that stopping someone just to point out that one defective bulb on a license plate is a bit silly and is more often than not used to indeed fish for other "legitimate issues". The law the legislature passed ten years or so ago that outlawed license plate frames was such a law and was vetoed because it would have served such a purpose.

But then, these scofflaws that drive around with burned out bulbs are a dangerous lot.

Cops use the excuse often to stop someone for not using a turn signal. I see LEO do it all of the time. Can I make a citizen's arrest next time?

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Since he followed me for three or four blocks and waited through a stop light for me to turn left before lighting me up made me think he was looking for a reason to stop me. There is no way he could have seen that my light was out when he initially decided to get in behind me as he was to my side and not rear.

As been indicated in here and to me personally, at times cops look for any "legitimate" reason to stop someone so they can see if there is anything else going on. It's common. I believe minor equipment and traffic code infractions are used all the time for cops to go "fishing". Some consider it a bad thing and some don't. I don't like it when the motivation for making the stop is hoping they will uncover something more. If they stop a person with the motivation to make them aware and give a warning and they happen to discover more, so be it.

On top of all that, my son and his Explorer post comrades saw me get pulled over. Fortunately, they couldn't tell it was me. That would have earned him some razzing. Daddy making son proud.
Last edited by mojo84 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Some people call it fishing. Other people call it "good police work" when such fishing results in the arrest of a Timothy McVeigh.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I think it was a slow night, and the LEO was just lonely.... :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

Jumping Frog wrote:Some people call it fishing. Other people call it "good police work" when such fishing results in the arrest of a Timothy McVeigh.

Timothy McVeigh didn't have a one of two license plates out....he had NO tag at all. To me having no tag at all is much more indicative that a crime may have occurred (auto theft, etc.) then one of two taillights beings out.

Edited: I said taillights not license plate lights in my first post.
Last edited by steveincowtown on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”