First time pulled over with CHL

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Ryan
Posts in topic: 3

First time pulled over with CHL

Post by Ryan »

Well, the inevitable happened yesterday. I got pulled over by Arlington PD. It was my first time interacting with an officer since I got my CHL. It actually turned out to be the best interaction I've ever had with an officer. He pulled me over and I immediately handed him my DL and CHL license. He asked if I was carrying and I told him yes. The very next comment he said was, "Well, what do you carry?" Awesome, I love talking guns anytime I get the chance. We proceeded to talk guns for the next 20 minutes. It was awesome. He was the friendliest cop I have ever came in contact with. The only down side is when the conversation was over, he handed me a ticket. Bummer :(

Although I'm not going to say I didn't deserve it. I guess having your inspection out since October of 2012 is not OK. I really didn't even realize it. In my own defense...I am a hard core biker and ride my motorcycle literally every day so my car inspection completely slipped my mind. But since my bike is down with a coolant leak and my wife's car is leaking gas...We had to take mine. And since my wife and I work at the same place, we usually always take her car to work (Better gas mileage). My car sees the light of day maybe twice a month and that's to usually to pull it out of the garage and wash it. Yesterday happened to be one of those days that I had to drive it. So I learned a good hard $140 dollar lesson yesterday. But as I drove away I couldn't help but be happy about the interaction in general.

Lesson learned. And guess what's on my agenda for this weekend??? Yup, inspection!!!

Kudos Arlington PD. You've got one hell of a good officer on your force.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First time pulled over with CHL

Post by RPBrown »

Better reason to have a second bike :evil2:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojo84 »

Can't believe he gave you a ticket. Doesn't he know there is a grace period? ;-)
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

mojo84 wrote:Can't believe he gave you a ticket. Doesn't he know there is a grace period? ;-)
Yeah, but it's not 17 months. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Details details. Some people are just sticklers.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

RPBrown wrote:Better reason to have a second bike :evil2:
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

mojo84 wrote:Can't believe he gave you a ticket. Doesn't he know there is a grace period? ;-)
How much is the ticket if you get the inspection resolved? How many years of no inspections does it take to cover that cost? :-)

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Ryan,

You did good.

The officer did his job while being a good guy.

C'mon, your mistake was too 'egregious' for him to overlook.

He probably didn't want to ticket you, but after that much time, sheesh....

Topic author
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Abraham wrote:Ryan,

You did good.

The officer did his job while being a good guy.

C'mon, your mistake was too 'egregious' for him to overlook.

He probably didn't want to ticket you, but after that much time, sheesh....

:iagree:

I absolutely agree with you. I deserved it and I know it. Lesson learned!!!

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

What was the officers name?...I'm catching up with old marine buddies from 20 years ago and one is an Arlington cops...lol
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

NavyVet1959

Post by NavyVet1959 »

I know the feeling about having a vehicle that sits in the garage all the time and you seldom drive it. I've had that happen on motorcycles that were in the back of the garage -- I always just rode the bikes that were closest to the door. I notice one day that one of the bikes that I was going to ride was 2 years out of date on its registration and inspection stickers. I had a truck that was used on the ranch all the time and probably seldom put on the public roads other than to go from one pasture to another. One day I had to take it into town to get a load of feed for the cattle and realized on the way back that the registration and inspection stickers were 4 years out of date. Funny how much more nervous you get when you see a cop when you have just realized that you are that far out of date.

aggie67
Posts in topic: 4

Post by aggie67 »

Some folks don't even know you have to have an inspection sticker. I lived and ranched in Jack County in the 80's and had a widow neighbor who was 80 or better. One day I stopped by to tell her that her water gap on the Wizzard Wells road had washed out and I had retied it with with wire, but her hand needed to check it. She drove a '65 Chev Impala that they bought new in Jacksboro (No Chev house now). It still had a 1965 sticker on it. She honestly did not know it had to be inspected each year and evidently her now diseased husband did not either. She drove all over the east side of Jack County and shopping once a week as well as Bingo in Runaway Bay. Never had been stopped.

NavyVet1959

Post by NavyVet1959 »

aggie67 wrote:It still had a 1965 sticker on it. She honestly did not know it had to be inspected each year and evidently her now diseased husband did not either. She drove all over the east side of Jack County and shopping once a week as well as Bingo in Runaway Bay. Never had been stopped.
And some states do not even have a requirement for an inspection sticker and they get along just fine. It's just another tax for the use of the roads.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

aggie67 wrote:Some folks don't even know you have to have an inspection sticker. I lived and ranched in Jack County in the 80's and had a widow neighbor who was 80 or better. One day I stopped by to tell her that her water gap on the Wizzard Wells road had washed out and I had retied it with with wire, but her hand needed to check it. She drove a '65 Chev Impala that they bought new in Jacksboro (No Chev house now). It still had a 1965 sticker on it. She honestly did not know it had to be inspected each year and evidently her now diseased husband did not either. She drove all over the east side of Jack County and shopping once a week as well as Bingo in Runaway Bay. Never had been stopped.
1. Pray tell a city boy - what's a water gap?

2. He's probably DECEASED because he was DISEASED. :-)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

aggie67
Posts in topic: 4

Post by aggie67 »

A water gap is a pivoting gate put in a creek or dry wash. When it floods and water and debris comes down creek, it can pivot up and not wash out the fence.. Think of a gate (shaped like the creek bands and hinged to a cable on top rather than hinges on ends.

As for #2, us old guys sometimes type and don't proof read--you caught me.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”