Emory police chief facebook post.

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

gigag04
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Emory police chief facebook post.

Post by gigag04 »

nightmare69 wrote:
talltex wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:All of our instructors are retired LEOs. The one with the least amount of experience has 16yrs on the streets that was cut short by a drunk driver. All the operators that talk about the cool ninja toys are active swat or were. We have a chief of police of a small town who is a special instuctor who is getting a helicopter, if that is not cool idk what is. They all say that LE is 95% boring, 4% cool, 1% terror.
:roll: You just don't seem to "get it" and keep making the points for us. That's precisely the mindset many of us are concerned about, and you seem to aspire to be just like "all the operators with the cool ninja toys" . What possible justification can be given for a police chief in a small town to NEED a helicopter, because that is one EXPENSIVE toy...just the maintenance would break most small town department's budget.
I get what you are saying. You don't like the fact that police departments are turning into the national guard with gadgets and toys that James Bond would be proud of. You are afraid that one day the police will come for your guns and you due to all the firepower and equipment they have now it would be suicide to try to resist. You believe that police are using any excuse they can to deploy swat and dress up like army rangers. You think that the police are becoming too powerful and exercising this power too frequently over the citizens they swore to protect. Am I close?

The government is the reason a lot of these small departments are able to get ahold of this equipment. MRAPS, helicopters, and all the other operator toys are bought through grant programs from the federal government.
I'll try again, but then I'm done. Please stay away from the police apologetics until you've done the job. Hanging around instructors of tactical backgrounds hasn't earned you the credibility to speak on behalf of the LE community. You seem to be getting deeper in this thread, and all the current and former LEOs I know on this board have sided with guys like Talltex and Mojo84.

When you are sworn in, you will not have the first clue on how to actually BE the police. I strongly suggest some patient, quiet, learning and putting in a couple years on the streets, on your own, before debating the pros and cons of tactical teams on the internet or publicly posting your excitement about ninja toys. The words "But my instructor said ______" will not serve you well in FTO or on the internet.

Hope this isn't too harsh. I've been there. I've gotten too loud too soon. Learn faster than I did.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

gigag04 wrote:Learn faster than I did.
And here I thought you came out of the box ready to go. :biggrinjester:
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

gigag04 wrote:I'll try again, but then I'm done. Please stay away from the police apologetics until you've done the job. Hanging around instructors of tactical backgrounds hasn't earned you the credibility to speak on behalf of the LE community. You seem to be getting deeper in this thread, and all the current and former LEOs I know on this board have sided with guys like Talltex and Mojo84.

When you are sworn in, you will not have the first clue on how to actually BE the police. I strongly suggest some patient, quiet, learning and putting in a couple years on the streets, on your own, before debating the pros and cons of tactical teams on the internet or publicly posting your excitement about ninja toys. The words "But my instructor said ______" will not serve you well in FTO or on the internet.

Hope this isn't too harsh. I've been there. I've gotten too loud too soon. Learn faster than I did.
:tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

nightmare
Deactivated until real name is provided
Posts in topic: 1

Post by nightmare »

nightmare69 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:For some it's more fair than for others. ;-)
What is stopping you from going to the police academy? We have a couple in their 50s and one guy who is 63 in my class
Fill in the blank: "the right of __________ to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
(a) government employees
(b) the people
(c) the Pope
(d) orangutans
Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Everybody!

III

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

nightmare69 wrote:I get what you are saying. You don't like the fact that police departments are turning into the national guard with gadgets and toys that James Bond would be proud of. You are afraid that one day the police will come for your guns and you due to all the firepower and equipment they have now it would be suicide to try to resist. You believe that police are using any excuse they can to deploy swat and dress up like army rangers. You think that the police are becoming too powerful and exercising this power too frequently over the citizens they swore to protect. Am I close?
Those are part of what I don't like and fear. I became a cop because i wanted to help people. My godfather was a patrolman in Philly and spent many years just patrolling the subway system. Most of his action was helping people who got lost and did not know the city transit system. The cops I grew up knowing the best were the ones who worked the Police Athletics League. They were my heroes and were the coolest guys I knew. It seems silly now, but I went home to visit my mother once when I was around 45 and she gave me a box with papers I had collected, mostly autographs of cops I had known.

I almost agree with your other statement about police work. It is probably about 75% boredom, not 90% but "routine" calls for reports can be seen as boring to some. I worked hard at not seeing that as boring. Yes, it might have been the fifth burglary report I took that day, but it was more likely the first ever for the victim, and they definitely saw it as an emergency. I can't deny that I did find the code three runs "cool" and thrilling, but my favorite memories of what I did do not involve crimes. The kids I helped are the best. Helping the woman who was lost driving through Luling and spoke no English was cool. I got to use a new translating service the state was trying where I talked on the phone and then the interpreter would repeat it to the woman. The neat part was finding that there was such a difference between Mandarin and Cantonese that we had to switch interpreters. I knew they were different, but that really drove it home. I liked the calls where I knew I was helping someone, event he ones other cops hated (like the older woman who called at three in the morning because her hot water heater was too hot and burned her - I know what she really needed was just someone to talk with for awhile but we did adjust the water heater too).

I have kicked in doors and had those moments of sheer terror. And I will always remember the first time an E.R. doctor told me that my actions had saved the man's life. I will also always remember the worst moments, like the drowning of a five year old girl.

Police work has its ups and downs. And it is still the best job I have ever had or can imagine. But, as others in here have said, always remember that your license and the law say you are a peace officer, not a law enforcement officer. There is a huge difference in attitude, as I am sure you will see when you get out there.

For everyone else, I am sure nightmare69 will turn out to be a good officer. Most of what we are seeing here is the enthusiasm of a cadet/rookie learning a new job. If he was not that way now, especially with the trainers showing this attitude to them, I would be much more worried about his prospects. Give him a little time on the road to get the newness worn off the badge and you will see a change. It is kind of like what Churchill said about being a liberal at twenty and a conservative at 40. Time and experience make a big difference.
Steve Rothstein

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

I've always wondered why FedGov gives all these armored vehicles to LEOs in the name of "first-responder safety", but they never give them to fire and ambulance crews for the same reason. If anyone needs armor protection, it's the rescue crews working the bad sides of town.....

thatguy

Post by thatguy »

First, we should ALL be accountable but particularly when pulling a gun for self defense, this includes the police. I'd add that police are given more leeway because of the nature of their jobs and I can understand the logic but to a point.

What really gets on my last nerve is when LE simply dismisses me or other citizens by saying we don't understand because we are not "one of them".
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

baldeagle wrote:
gigag04 wrote:Learn faster than I did.
And here I thought you came out of the box ready to go. :biggrinjester:

Things have changes or have they? When I graduated the academy I was pumped. I didn't have visions of being rambo and wanted to get out catching bad guys. We were paid to go to the academy and got our badges on graduation day. The academy I went through was tough and physically challenging, which is contrary to the college type academies one sees now. Heck even TCOLE, the agency that regulates TX academies wants to makes some changes and cut the number of academies in TX big time. Depending on where you go you are taught different tactics, ect. It really hould be the same across the state.

When you hit training you ate by yourself and earned your spot at the table. Now days the RGR's (raw green rookies) feel entitled vs. having to earn their spot with doing good in training and earning respect by doing a good job and making good decisions. You saw the change in some cadets as the academy progressed (7 1/2 months)... not saying good, bad or ugly but one can see that in this thread progression...you saw people getting into off duty incidents as cadets and knew who was going to have the heavy badge when they got it.... I also imagine our instructors would have made us do push ups until somebody fessed up to running a commentary on the net about the academy as well..that just wouldn't fly where I come from.

I guess my age is showing :smilelol5:

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

nightmare69 wrote:
ShootDontTalk wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:Should swat and other tactical response teams be allowed to use firearms and equipment not legal for the general public to own? Like full auto weapons, flash bangs, MRAPS etc.
Perhaps the question should be this: How will SWAT respond when the bad guys discover RPG's and Dshk's? Will we see M1 tanks in the streets?

I already voiced my thoughts on the militarization of CIVILIAN police departments. Where does it all end? Do you really want people flying Hellfire-armed Predator drones over our cities and striking the wrong address? I still believe good police work backed up by reliable intelligence can handle 99% of the calls. If folks want to play war, join the Marines and see the world. My opinions, anyway.
Getting to go through all the operator training and getting the cool ninja toys to play with is a perk of the job. Every swat operator I've ever talked to says its one of the best parts of the job.

If I ever make swat I would want every advantage I could get over the bad guy. I don't want a glock when he has an AK, I want an AK or something better. There is no playing fair in a fire fight, only winning.
The statements you make on here, like this one, leads me to believe that if your attitude doesn't change, you will like be one of those cops people complain about. If you think cool ninja toys are a perk and the best part of the job, you're going into law enforcement for the wrong reasons.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

nightmare69 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
Getting to go through all the operator training and getting the cool ninja toys to play with is a perk of the job. Every swat operator I've ever talked to says its one of the best parts of the job.

If I ever make swat I would want every advantage I could get over the bad guy. I don't want a glock when he has an AK, I want an AK or something better. There is no playing fair in a fire fight, only winning.

I am not trying to argue or be combative in any way. The portion in bold is exactly what is wrong with much of today's law enforcement attitude. "Playing" with the "cool ninja toys" leads to over utilization of the TOOLS in inappropriate circumstances. In my opinion, if someone is going into law enforcement for the adrenaline rush and the "perk" of getting to play with "cool ninja toys", they need to be in another occupation such as military service or the circus.

I expect people charged with upholding the laws of the land and Constitution to be more mature than overgrown kids.
Getting the ninja toys a is not the main reason people get into LE. If they say it's not a cool part of the job they are a liar. LE is a para military career also. Over half of my class are former or still active reserve military.
Law Enforcement is NOT nor has IT EVER BEEN nor should it EVER BE para military, you DO NOT prosecute WAR in any shape form or fashion, do NOT equate your civilian JOB with my MILITARY CAREER OR MINDSET! Law Enforcement is a balance of keeping the CIVILIAN population from doing itself harm and cleaning up after it does do itself harm. When the populace becomes the enemy you have become a SS jack booted thug period. you are a SERVANT plain pure and simple, when you loose that mindset you become part of the problem NOT the soulution. War has rules, yep but everyone on the other side is the enemy, are you?

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 13

Post by nightmare69 »

JP171 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:

I am not trying to argue or be combative in any way. The portion in bold is exactly what is wrong with much of today's law enforcement attitude. "Playing" with the "cool ninja toys" leads to over utilization of the TOOLS in inappropriate circumstances. In my opinion, if someone is going into law enforcement for the adrenaline rush and the "perk" of getting to play with "cool ninja toys", they need to be in another occupation such as military service or the circus.

I expect people charged with upholding the laws of the land and Constitution to be more mature than overgrown kids.
Getting the ninja toys a is not the main reason people get into LE. If they say it's not a cool part of the job they are a liar. LE is a para military career also. Over half of my class are former or still active reserve military.
Law Enforcement is NOT nor has IT EVER BEEN nor should it EVER BE para military, you DO NOT prosecute WAR in any shape form or fashion, do NOT equate your civilian JOB with my MILITARY CAREER OR MINDSET! Law Enforcement is a balance of keeping the CIVILIAN population from doing itself harm and cleaning up after it does do itself harm. When the populace becomes the enemy you have become a SS jack booted thug period. you are a SERVANT plain pure and simple, when you loose that mindset you become part of the problem NOT the soulution. War has rules, yep but everyone on the other side is the enemy, are you?
I guess I'll have to get the inscription on my patrol car changed then, it had a nice ring to it.

2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 10

Post by mojo84 »

nightmare69 wrote:
JP171 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:

I guess I'll have to get the inscription on my patrol car changed then, it had a nice ring to it.

[ Image ]

The irony of it is, you don't have a patrol car.
Last edited by mojo84 on Sat May 24, 2014 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

jmra

Post by jmra »

mojo84 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
JP171 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:

[ Image ]

The irony of it is, you don't have patrol car.
:smilelol5: "rlol"
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

jmra wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
JP171 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:

[ Image ]

The irony of it is, you don't have patrol car.
:smilelol5: "rlol"
Wow - :nono: talk about digging a hole... during the background process one is asked about all their social media activity. Do you want this out there for the background investigator to see? :smash:

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”