Emory police chief facebook post.

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

mojo84
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Emory police chief facebook post.

Post by mojo84 »

Wish I could carry an asp.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 13

Post by nightmare69 »

mojo84 wrote:Wish I could carry an asp.
Life is just so unfair. Wish I could carry a full auto MP5 under my coat.

After beating each other to death with the trainer asps, (they hurt btw) I would rather take a beating with the asp vs a face full of OC again.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

For some it's more fair than for others. ;-)
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

mojo84 wrote:For some it's more fair than for others. ;-)
What is stopping you from going to the police academy? We have a couple in their 50s and one guy who is 63 in my class
5/20-Plastic in hand.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

nightmare69 wrote:
What is stopping you from going to the police academy? We have a couple in their 50s and one guy who is 63 in my class
Not interested in going just so I can carry a cool ninja toy. :lol:

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

mojo84 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
It don't seem unfair to me then if you choose not to go through the requirements. One of the best perks for me will be getting to walk past 30.06 signs armed and going through the required training to be able to carry on an airplane when I travel to New York. Getting to carry in New York thanks to the LEO safe act is a nice benefit also.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I'm not the one that said it wasn't fair.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

nightmare69 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Wish I could carry an asp.
Life is just so unfair. Wish I could carry a full auto MP5 under my coat.

After beating each other to death with the trainer asps, (they hurt btw) I would rather take a beating with the asp vs a face full of OC again.
A Double Homicide? :shock:
NRA Endowment Member

Jaguar
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jaguar »

I don't mind the police having cool "ninja toys", what I am opposed to is using those toys to bust in on Billy Bob at zero dark thirty because he bought a quarter ounce of weed from a snitch. The reason the public approved SWAT was for hostage situation, barricades, and terrorist situations. Go knock on Billy's door and take him into custody, don't bust through his door and windows with flash-bangs, point guns at his wife and kids, shoot his hound dog, destroy his property, and risk his life, cops lives, innocent people lives, and the peace in general just because he has access to a toilet. I realize this reduces the use of "ninja toys", but that is a price I am willing to pay.

Most of all, when things go bad, and with SWAT raids they have - and will again, do not cover up, obfuscate, and delay justice for your "brother" who screwed up. Good cops need to be good cops all the time to qualify as good, covering for bad cops is not being a good cop.
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

nightmare69 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
It don't seem unfair to me then if you choose not to go through the requirements. One of the best perks for me will be getting to walk past 30.06 signs armed and going through the required training to be able to carry on an airplane when I travel to New York. Getting to carry in New York thanks to the LEO safe act is a nice benefit also.
Good luck with that.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

ShootDontTalk
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ShootDontTalk »

nightmare69 wrote: Getting the ninja toys a is not the main reason people get into LE. If they say it's not a cool part of the job they are a liar. LE is a para military career also. Over half of my class are former or still active reserve military.
No it is not. It is a civilian job. There are some militaristic aspects to the job, but that is not the result of being a paramilitary organization. The Fire Department has many of the same characteristics. Your job is to deal with the public and enforce the law, no more, no less.

And again, with all due respect to your instructors, I wish one seasoned police officer would come speak to you about the endless hours of paperwork, the boredom of a slow shift, getting spit on and cursed out by some woman whose husband you had to put in jail for beating her, and the very real truth that the vast majority of officers retire having never had to fire their service weapon. If you start to live with the anticipation of deploying all the "cool ninja toys", I think you might be very unhappy with the job. Law Enforcement is all about making a difference in the lives of the people who pay your salary. It's about leaving the community a better place to live. It is about protecting the innocent and defenseless.

Have you ever asked yourself why so many veterans become cops? Do you really believe it is to stay in the military and ride around town in combat gear all decked out with "cool ninja toys?" Please go ask them. You could take some of the advice here, but better you hear it in person.
Last edited by ShootDontTalk on Tue May 20, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

nightmare69 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
Hey man - you may want to tone down the LEO talk until you're actually doing the job. Just a suggestion. Training is great but it's not the streets.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

ShootDontTalk wrote:
nightmare69 wrote: Getting the ninja toys a is not the main reason people get into LE. If they say it's not a cool part of the job they are a liar. LE is a para military career also. Over half of my class are former or still active reserve military.
No it is not. It is a civilian job. There are some militaristic aspects to the job, but that is not the result of being a paramilitary organization. The Fire Department has many of the same characteristics. Your job is to deal with the public and enforce the law, no more, no less.

And again, with all due respect to your instructors, I wish one seasoned police officer would come speak to you about the endless hours of paperwork, the boredom of a slow shift, getting spit on and cursed out by some woman whose husband you had to put in jail for beating her, and the very real truth that the vast majority of officers retire having never had to fire their service weapon. If you start to live with the anticipation of deploying all the "cool ninja toys", I think you might be very unhappy with the job. Law Enforcement is all about making a difference in the lives of the people who pay your salary. It's about leaving the community a better place to live. It is about protecting the innocent and defenseless.

Have you ever asked yourself why so many veterans become cops? Do you really believe it is to stay in the military and ride around town in combat gear all decked out with "cool ninja toys?" Please go ask them. You could take some of the advice here, but better you hear it in person.
And this ^. All of it.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

talltex
Posts in topic: 4

Post by talltex »

nightmare69 wrote: Getting to go through all the operator training and getting the cool ninja toys to play with is a perk of the job. Every swat operator I've ever talked to says its one of the best parts of the job.
Your statement just points out the problem that a lot of folks have with the overuse of SWAT/ SRT/ SRU units for purposes they were never intended to be used for. The very terminology you use, comes from the military and military contractors...you are training to be a Police Officer...not an "Operator", and the fact that you view going through all the "operator training and getting to PLAY with the cool ninja toys" as a perk, is a big factor in the departments commonly using SWAT teams for serving search warrants nowdays, when the original justification for them, was to respond to situations where they faced heavily armed professional robbery teams (LA bank robbers), hostage situations, and terrorist attacks. Now that every department has a SWAT team and "every SWAT Operator you've talked to says it's the best part of the job", it's no wonder they all want to suit up and go play Rambo any chance they get. In a follow up post you mentioned that over 50% of your academy class is coming in from a military background, and that's another reason for the fostering of the idea that the police are a para-military organization when they are not...they are civilian government employees, who have been given some special privileges over other civilians, to expedite the performance of their job. That job is not to act as an occupying military force, riding roughshod over their fellow citizens unecessarily.
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by carlson1 »

My license from TCOLE says, "PEACE OFFICER" not "Law Enforcement Officer." I guess mine is out of date. :confused5 I still think in terms of "Peace Officer" not "crime fighter."

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”