Emory police chief facebook post.

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

talltex
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Emory police chief facebook post.

Post by talltex »

carlson1 wrote:My license from TCOLE says, "PEACE OFFICER" not "Law Enforcement Officer." I guess mine is out of date. :confused5 I still think in terms of "Peace Officer" not "crime fighter."
:thumbs2: That's the kind of Officers I had the good fortune to be around when I was younger! Kinda' spoiled me I guess
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 13

Post by nightmare69 »

All of our instructors are retired LEOs. The one with the least amount of experience has 16yrs on the streets that was cut short by a drunk driver. All the operators that talk about the cool ninja toys are active swat or were. We have a chief of police of a small town who is a special instuctor who is getting a helicopter, if that is not cool idk what is. They all say that LE is 95% boring, 4% cool, 1% terror.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

gigag04 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:For some it's more fair than for others. ;-)
What is stopping you from going to the police academy? We have a couple in their 50s and one guy who is 63 in my class
Not interested in going just so I can carry a cool ninja toy. :lol:
It don't seem unfair to me then if you choose not to go through the requirements. One of the best perks for me will be getting to walk past 30.06 signs armed and going through the required training to be able to carry on an airplane when I travel to New York. Getting to carry in New York thanks to the LEO safe act is a nice benefit also.
Hey man - you may want to tone down the LEO talk until you're actually doing the job. Just a suggestion. Training is great but it's not the streets.

:iagree:

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Purplehood »

I usually have issues with the politicians (both civilian and LEO) that compromise the leadership of various Law Enforcement departments, rather than the rank and file.
As a general rule, all of my encounters with rank and file LEO's have been positive.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

ShootDontTalk
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ShootDontTalk »

Purplehood wrote:I usually have issues with the politicians (both civilian and LEO) that compromise the leadership of various Law Enforcement departments, rather than the rank and file.
As a general rule, all of my encounters with rank and file LEO's have been positive.
:iagree:
My concern is that with the fundamental goal of instruction, attitudes espoused or whatever it is, that seems to be evidenced by nightmare69's posts in an academy today, how long will we be able to say this?
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

talltex

Post by talltex »

nightmare69 wrote:All of our instructors are retired LEOs. The one with the least amount of experience has 16yrs on the streets that was cut short by a drunk driver. All the operators that talk about the cool ninja toys are active swat or were. We have a chief of police of a small town who is a special instuctor who is getting a helicopter, if that is not cool idk what is. They all say that LE is 95% boring, 4% cool, 1% terror.
:roll: You just don't seem to "get it" and keep making the points for us. That's precisely the mindset many of us are concerned about, and you seem to aspire to be just like "all the operators with the cool ninja toys" . What possible justification can be given for a police chief in a small town to NEED a helicopter, because that is one EXPENSIVE toy...just the maintenance would break most small town department's budget.
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

mojo84
Posts in topic: 10

Post by mojo84 »

A recent article from The Economist

http://www.economist.com/news/united-st ... r-soldiers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peter Kraska, a professor at Eastern Kentucky University’s School of Justice Studies, estimates that SWAT teams were deployed about 3,000 times in 1980 but are now used around 50,000 times a year. Some cities use them for routine patrols in high-crime areas

...Fred Leland, a police lieutenant in the small town of Walpole, Massachusetts, says that police departments in towns like his often invest in military-style kit because they “want to keep up” with larger forces.

...Because of a legal quirk, SWAT raids can be profitable. Rules on civil asset-forfeiture allow the police to seize anything which they can plausibly claim was the proceeds of a crime. Crucially, the property-owner need not be convicted of that crime. If the police find drugs in his house, they can take his cash and possibly the house, too. He must sue to get them back.

...Many police departments now depend on forfeiture for a fat chunk of their budgets. In 1986, its first year of operation, the federal Asset Forfeiture Fund held $93.7m. By 2012, that and the related Seized Asset Deposit Fund held nearly $6 billion.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Here is a reader's comment regarding the above article. He claims he is an ex-cop with substantial experience. I think he is spot on with his comments.

Off Duty
Mar 21st, 21:52
In my 30+ year law enforcement career which began in the mid 70's, I have been involved in hundreds of arrests, from petty drug dealers to interstate gun runners, to organized crime to disorganized crime, from major cases, multi-agency task forces to off duty incidents. NEVER did I and my colleagues employ armored vehicles or assault rifles and in fact during most of our arrests, our most intimidating equipment consisted of 12 gauge pump action shotguns, battering rams and on rare occasion, helmets and ballistic shields. Of course we had vests, radios, gas and other entry tools. We chose hostage negotiation over flash-bangs and the bosses didn't tolerate excessive OT. We shut down whole projects and streets. We left with most of the neighborhood thanking us for getting rid of their vermin.
SWAT teams were highly specialized units formed for dealing with very rare situations.
With militarized police, the neighborhood's gratitude gets sorely tested and cooperation quickly evaporates. Whoever is making these decisions to intensify the militarization of police better think carefully what they are doing. Police are supposed to "serve and protect" not "suppress and conquer".
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 13

Post by nightmare69 »

talltex wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:All of our instructors are retired LEOs. The one with the least amount of experience has 16yrs on the streets that was cut short by a drunk driver. All the operators that talk about the cool ninja toys are active swat or were. We have a chief of police of a small town who is a special instuctor who is getting a helicopter, if that is not cool idk what is. They all say that LE is 95% boring, 4% cool, 1% terror.
:roll: You just don't seem to "get it" and keep making the points for us. That's precisely the mindset many of us are concerned about, and you seem to aspire to be just like "all the operators with the cool ninja toys" . What possible justification can be given for a police chief in a small town to NEED a helicopter, because that is one EXPENSIVE toy...just the maintenance would break most small town department's budget.
I get what you are saying. You don't like the fact that police departments are turning into the national guard with gadgets and toys that James Bond would be proud of. You are afraid that one day the police will come for your guns and you due to all the firepower and equipment they have now it would be suicide to try to resist. You believe that police are using any excuse they can to deploy swat and dress up like army rangers. You think that the police are becoming too powerful and exercising this power too frequently over the citizens they swore to protect. Am I close?

The government is the reason a lot of these small departments are able to get ahold of this equipment. MRAPS, helicopters, and all the other operator toys are bought through grant programs from the federal government.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Those that are part of the problem seldom see nor acknowledge why the others resent and distrust them.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

nightmare69 wrote:
The government is the reason a lot of these small departments are able to get ahold of this equipment. MRAPS, helicopters, and all the other operator toys are bought through grant programs from the federal government.
When the time comes, the government will demand repayment for all of this. The government will require complete and total obedience from those who have acquired this equipment. There is a price to pay and it will be extracted with a vengeance. If you are one of those wielding and using this equipment you will be one called to obey.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Purplehood wrote:I usually have issues with the politicians (both civilian and LEO) that compromise the leadership of various Law Enforcement departments, rather than the rank and file.
Not mine. Not my boy's.
Mine have become positive now that there's "a bit" of grey on the old face. When I was in Cali, there were NO positive interactions, ever.
I would hate for the local police to act like Cali. It sure seems to be heading that way.
Last edited by Cedar Park Dad on Wed May 21, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrillKing
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GrillKing »

On second thought, deleted. Sorry.....
Last edited by GrillKing on Wed May 21, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

mojo84 wrote:Here is a reader's comment regarding the above article. He claims he is an ex-cop with substantial experience. I think he is spot on with his comments.

Off Duty
Mar 21st, 21:52
In my 30+ year law enforcement career which began in the mid 70's, I have been involved in hundreds of arrests, from petty drug dealers to interstate gun runners, to organized crime to disorganized crime, from major cases, multi-agency task forces to off duty incidents. NEVER did I and my colleagues employ armored vehicles or assault rifles and in fact during most of our arrests, our most intimidating equipment consisted of 12 gauge pump action shotguns, battering rams and on rare occasion, helmets and ballistic shields. Of course we had vests, radios, gas and other entry tools. We chose hostage negotiation over flash-bangs and the bosses didn't tolerate excessive OT. We shut down whole projects and streets. We left with most of the neighborhood thanking us for getting rid of their vermin.
SWAT teams were highly specialized units formed for dealing with very rare situations.
With militarized police, the neighborhood's gratitude gets sorely tested and cooperation quickly evaporates. Whoever is making these decisions to intensify the militarization of police better think carefully what they are doing. Police are supposed to "serve and protect" not "suppress and conquer".
Agree with most but the patrol rifle aka ar15 is a very much needed tool.

I've dealt with lots of trainees over the years. The first thing you do is let them know they are a brand new rookie that doesn't know squat. You then teach them the PROPER way to be a LEO. That includes following the law, obeying policy and US Constitution. You make sure they are not becoming "badge heavy." At six months they may start to get it and hopefully realize the public is NOT the enemy, but in fact a friend. Depending on where they start they will get a GREAT foundation or be tarnished for life.

Again - the public is NOT the enemy.

I recall a guy from my academy being fired the first month for doing stupid stuff the FIRST WEEKEND he had a badge....

talltex

Post by talltex »

nightmare69 wrote:
talltex wrote:
I get what you are saying. You don't like the fact that police departments are turning into the national guard with gadgets and toys that James Bond would be proud of. You are afraid that one day the police will come for your guns and you due to all the firepower and equipment they have now it would be suicide to try to resist. You believe that police are using any excuse they can to deploy swat and dress up like army rangers. You think that the police are becoming too powerful and exercising this power too frequently over the citizens they swore to protect. Am I close?

You are partially correct...I want them to be Police Departments...not National Guard Army/Navy/Air Force/Delta/SEALS/Force Recon or any of the many military agencies....if THAT's what the officers WANT...go do it for those entities.

I'm NOT really afraid they are going to come take my guns. Out here in the country where I live, the Officers would refuse to follow that order. I know them personally and they are friends of mine. I don't worry about them.

No one can deny that the use of SWAT/SRT units has mushroomed FAR beyond their original purpose...much more so in larger departments, but the very existence of them is almost universal now regardless of size of the department. Our local Sheriff's Office has a dark green armored SRT vehicle parked outside...a "gift" from the DHS. It's an 8 man department...If they ever all suited up to go on a raid, there wouldn't be anyone left to answer the phone or watch the jail. They haven't used it once in 7 years, but they've got it, since everyone else does too.

Your last statement is actually one of my biggest issues...the funding for those grant programs doesn't come from the federal government...they just distribute the money (throw it out like confetti). The money actually comes from all the working citizens who are paying taxes. In order to give away money (GRANTS), you first have to get the money from somewhere, and since the government doesn't produce any profits, they have to take it from you and me. It is still OUR money being wasted on a bunch of "toys" that aren't actually needed to do the job.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”