Good encounter this evening

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
jmra
Posts in topic: 4

Good encounter this evening

Post by jmra »

A couple of hours ago a mentally unstable teenage girl rang our doorbell. The wife and I kept her verbally engaged while contacting the authorities. Don't believe she was a threat to others but do believe she was a threat to her own safety.
After what seemed an eternity the officer arrived. I meet him at the street - told him I was the home owner and handed him DL and CHL (I was armed). He said thank you and handed both back to me.
He was familiar with the young girl who will be returning to a facility where hopefully she can get the help she needs.

Things that went through my mind:
1. The girl wanted in the house. Before opening to door I made sure I could see both of her hands and that no one else was in the porch area. I used positioning and body language while engaging her in calming conversation that let her know that entering the house was not an option.
2. I used words to reassure her that everything was going to be ok while using body positioning and body language to back her up enough to ensure no one else was in the front yard.
3. Although my wife was not armed, she had clear access to my Glock carried at 4:00 in an IWB holster. She has her CHL and knows how to handle the Glock.
4. Until the officer arrived we both had eyes on the young girl and on access points to the house as did my teenage boys who were watching rear entry points. My biggest concern was the demons chasing the young lady were made of flesh and bone. Fortunately none of any kind materialized.

I know some would not have answered the door in fear she might be working with others waiting just out of sight, but my training and experience working with ED teenagers made it evident that this was not an act.

All in all a good LEO encounter and hopefully the girl gets back on her meds.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Cjwglock19
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Good encounter this evening

Post by Cjwglock19 »

Sounds like a good plan in place and it is good you worked to help the child while ensuring the safety of your family. I too work with special education and deal with many kids with a tremendous amount of challenges, and even have a 17 year old child with mild autism. Glad it all worked out for everyone.

Quick question on the situation...when the law enforcement arrived and you met them, did the girl walk over with you or where was she at that point and how did she respond?
"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

- Clint Smith

Topic author
jmra

Post by jmra »

Cjwglock19 wrote:Sounds like a good plan in place and it is good you worked to help the child while ensuring the safety of your family. I too work with special education and deal with many kids with a tremendous amount of challenges, and even have a 17 year old child with mild autism. Glad it all worked out for everyone.

Quick question on the situation...when the law enforcement arrived and you met them, did the girl walk over with you or where was she at that point and how did she respond?
At this point she was pretty much in a fetal position on the porch with my wife close by. She became a little excited when she saw the officer but we were able to calm her down. She got in the car without resisting.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Cjwglock19
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Cjwglock19 »

I had a feeling that something like that was the outcome. Sure glad it worked well for you and you were able to control the situation for the safety of all. I'm one of our CPI (crisis prevention and intervention)people on campus, hardest thing is having to restrain a kid who just earlier in the day that had a huge smile when they saw you before class. In a real world setting like your front porch, many people may not have been able to handle it as you did. Again, thanks for sharing.
"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

- Clint Smith

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SewTexas »

poor thing. I'm glad you were there for her last night. I hope she's able to get real medical help.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
jmra

Post by jmra »

SewTexas wrote:poor thing. I'm glad you were there for her last night. I hope she's able to get real medical help.
I hope so too. Asking around the neighborhood today it appears this is a pretty common occurrence.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

I wouldn't have handed the officer anything until asked but not harm in doing so.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
jmra

Post by jmra »

gigag04 wrote:I wouldn't have handed the officer anything until asked but not harm in doing so.
Normally I wouldn't have but given the situation with the teenage girl I wanted to establish without doubt that I was the home owner and belonged there.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

Nice planning w/ your entire family. Everyone at the ready & vigilant.

I made a mistake before by opening a door at night that i will never repeat in my lifetime. Fortunately my mistake didn't cost me anything. I put my entire family at risk. I tell you the truth, even today i am so guilt ridden of what it could have been. Thank the Lord He protected us.

Hopefully the young girl will find hope and help.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

SewTexas wrote:poor thing. I'm glad you were there for her last night. I hope she's able to get real medical help.
Working, as I do, with some of our ED kids in the classroom (I could not do a Special Ed teacher's job!) if you are able to look into the history of kids like this, they've often had good medical attention for a number of years, but after the meds have stabilized their moods so well for a time, they believe they are "cured", or that the meds are de-sensitizing them to the world, and stop taking the meds, to once again begin to have the problems that set upon them in the first place.

For some of the kids, it's a vicious cycle.

To jmra: good job and a great outcome!
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Steamboat

Post by Steamboat »

jmra wrote:
gigag04 wrote:I wouldn't have handed the officer anything until asked but not harm in doing so.
Normally I wouldn't have but given the situation with the teenage girl I wanted to establish without doubt that I was the home owner and belonged there.
Good idea on proper identification. Well handled.
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”