Starting Police Academy

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 25

Re: Starting Police Academy

Post by nightmare69 »

They can't legally stop you from having a firearm in your vehicle. I would just keep it consealed inside your car and not say a word to anyone. My academy had written notice 30.06 in the rules handout so I just kept it in my car.

One of the downsides to these huge departments is they seem to rule over you telling you what you can and cannot do on your off time. I noticed when DPD came and talked to us they seemed to be a very liberal department. I don't think I would be a good fit for that type of department.

Glad you are making it, keep strong and study.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

TomV
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TomV »

If you need a 357 Sig barrel I can help you out.
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
1s1k52
Posts in topic: 55

Post by 1s1k52 »

nightmare69 wrote:They can't legally stop you from having a firearm in your vehicle. I would just keep it consealed inside your car and not say a word to anyone. My academy had written notice 30.06 in the rules handout so I just kept it in my car.

One of the downsides to these huge departments is they seem to rule over you telling you what you can and cannot do on your off time. I noticed when DPD came and talked to us they seemed to be a very liberal department. I don't think I would be a good fit for that type of department.

Glad you are making it, keep strong and study.

Yeah I understand. Not like a lot of departments were beating down my door. I still would have liked Dallas just because of the areas I may be open to working.
(insert clever signature here)

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

healthinsp wrote:If you need a 357 Sig barrel I can help you out.
If I make it to that point I will let you know. It just drops in?

TomV
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TomV »

Yes, it is very easy to change out.
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

healthinsp wrote:Yes, it is very easy to change out.
So the slide is the same size pretty much? pretty cool. wish Glocks were like that. I know you can go from 40/.357 down to 9 but not up.

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

today went by FAST. Thank god. It was for the most part stuff about our pension and benefits etc. I have been selected class treasure. Not sure why. I horrible at math and money. I have a Amazon Prime account so that helped I guess.

Anyways so firearms day was crap. We had to see how well we gripped and how fast we could pull the trigger on the Sig 226 with one hand then the other. It has what feels like a 14lb trigger pull. I shot the crap out of a buddies Smith SVE and I though that thing was bad.

anyways their constant change in scheduling and such is pretty agitating but such is life.

posted this

http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=73284" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if anyone has anything to chime in.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Glad everything is going well. Do whatever your department asks. I never understood a PD forcing you to carry a certain type of firearm off duty. I believe you should let your officers carry whatever weapon they are most comfortable and effective with.

Off topic but here is a problem a buddy is having while putting in applications. Every LE angency is going to the TCOLE personal history statement, it's nice that it is shorter and doesn't require as much detail. The problem is that you have to submit a sealed original copy of your birth certificate and college transcript. These are expensive and take time to get. It cost me over 50 bucks to submit 1 complete application. A buddy is at the point he can no longer afford to submit applications to other departments. He is now going back to departments he has applied with and requesting his birth and college transcript back due to being unemployed and broke. This is something that should only be required after the background investigation and you have a very good chance of being hired by the department.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Chris
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Chris »

The police academy. No other class can make you feel as prepared for a job as the police academy. And sadly, any old FTO can make you feel dumber than a bag of hammers.

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

hmm had a long post that didn't get posted. Well things were going well. I was the only one in class to fail our test today by 2 points. I know exactly why I failed it, but sadly that wont help me now. We receive information weekly on what to study for. The majority of the class studied the same thing I did and ignored the parts that we were lead to believe wouldnt be a main focus. Well as it turns out the entire test was over that. Problem is I clearly looked over that information even less than most because although a lot of people were shocked, I was the only one that failed. Considering I am already a horrible test taker, this didn't help anything. Other than that its been a very busy time trying to stay afloat. Having to tell my wife I failed was the worst part of it.

This entire day just didn't go very well. I forgot my dress socks at home. The Walmart I finally found didn't open till 6:30. I usually show up at 5:30 to work out then shower by 7 or so and study till 7:45 for formation. Forgot my lunch lol. Just one thing after another today.

We got issued our pistols and belts etc to keep in our lockers.

Bought a new car after selling my Glock. I have nothing to carry now. Stupid right? Sadly all I really have of value. Mazda 3 2013 got a good deal on it. The payments are low enough that even a year of payments wouldn't touch the repairs my old car needed. I will mention there was chevy pickup I would have been much happier with if finances allotted for it. However, they do not.

Hope everyone's 4th went well.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Keep pressing on brother, you still have a very long road ahead.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

cadet3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cadet3 »

1s1k52 wrote: The instructor recommended anyone with a CHL not carry even on our personal time. He said do what you feel you have to do, but he advised against it. To me that is some really conflicting information. He strongly recommended we did carry off duty, but not as a CHL holder while in the academy?
That instructor gave you sound advice based on experience. I would follow it. The academy isn't a time to do your own thing or assert your rights a gun owner. Your job is to blend in with that wall that's in the back of your classroom and not to stand out and make yourself a target. I had one academy classmate that was having trouble during the firearms portion and he would practice his trigger pull while driving to the academy in the morning. Some truck driver looks down sees him doing this and calls it in. Dude was fired for unsound judgement. Yeah it sounds crazy but it happens. So basically they are catering to the lowest denominator. Take the advice, play by their rules, do your 8 months and get on with your life and police the way that you want to police.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Any updates?
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

nightmare69 wrote:Any updates?
The academy itself is going great i believe. I am losing a lot of weight. We have a test every Monday, fail 3 and your out. I just passed one today. Next Monday will be a doozy. I havent been online much my computer power cord bit the dust and I never feel like getting on my wife's laptop. We have done a lot of PT in the past week so I am still pretty sore from all the hands on stuff and running 4 miles a day. Looking into getting my old job back for financial reasons and insurance purposes. I still give a 110 percent daily, but if I can go back to work where I was I am gone. More of a need than a want really so.

The academy Dallas provides and all the instructors are awesome. I would easily recommend it to anyone. My choice to leave, or look into leaving rather, is for personal needs not a reflection of the department or staff. Not really sure what to up date on. Anyone can ask me any questions they want. That will be a lot easier to be honest. We haven't gone to the range yet. Everything has been hands on tactics and classroom stuff. Currently on penal code. I am a horrible test taker. Case in point I studied all last week, the weekend, and woke up 2 hours early today and still only made a 76. When reviewing with another recruit I was knocking it out quick. I get tripped up in some of the wording and go back and change answers sometimes. Which may help or hurt depending the question. We are in or academy uniforms now. bought my Bates boots for around 130.00 last week at Academy in case I need to take them back. Shining boots is no bueno. Anyone got anything they want to ask?

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”