Starting Police Academy

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
1s1k52
Posts in topic: 55

Re: Starting Police Academy

Post by 1s1k52 »

A-R wrote:Keep checking eBay for Safariland duty holsters. Bunch of basket weave no light 6360 Sig holsters under $50 right now. But w/ light will pop up sooner or later if you keep checking.
yeah can't do basket weave. I can barely get away with the STX stuff. It is supposed to be plain black smooth leather, BUT I see tons of tactical models around because no one wants to fork over an extra $50.00 bucks for the leather.

I am hoping to get one for about $50.00 and sell it for roughly that later. I see them go for that price all the time I just can't seem to jump on it when it does.
(insert clever signature here)

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 25

Post by nightmare69 »

1s1k52 wrote:
A-R wrote:Keep checking eBay for Safariland duty holsters. Bunch of basket weave no light 6360 Sig holsters under $50 right now. But w/ light will pop up sooner or later if you keep checking.
yeah can't do basket weave. I can barely get away with the STX stuff. It is supposed to be plain black smooth leather, BUT I see tons of tactical models around because no one wants to fork over an extra $50.00 bucks for the leather.

I am hoping to get one for about $50.00 and sell it for roughly that later. I see them go for that price all the time I just can't seem to jump on it when it does.
I wear nylon due to the cost and comfort. When I went to work for my department the Chief said he didn't like the look of nylon cause it looks too "tactical". I said I will wear whatever the department wants as long as they are willing to purchase it for me, never heard another word. Im not about to drop a grand on a leather rig just because the dept doesn't like the look of nylon.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

nightmare69 wrote:
1s1k52 wrote:

I wear nylon due to the cost and comfort. When I went to work for my department the Chief said he didn't like the look of nylon cause it looks too "tactical". I said I will wear whatever the department wants as long as they are willing to purchase it for me, never heard another word. Im not about to drop a grand on a leather rig just because the dept doesn't like the look of nylon.
Lol I don't have the luxury of that.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mojo84 »

Yeah, most new employees don't have the luxury of dictating to their boss what they will and won't do. Complying with the dress/uniform code set by the boss is usually a basic requirement of being employed.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

mojo84 wrote:Yeah, most new employees don't have the luxury of dictating to their boss what they will and won't do. Complying with the dress/uniform code set by the boss is usually a basic requirement of being employed.
I didn't dictate anything. I'm willing to wear whatever they provide. I however am not willing not able to purchase a full leather duty rig. I'm sure Dallas provides everything but your underwear while small departments like mine provide shirts.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

nightmare69 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Yeah, most new employees don't have the luxury of dictating to their boss what they will and won't do. Complying with the dress/uniform code set by the boss is usually a basic requirement of being employed.
I didn't dictate anything. I'm willing to wear whatever they provide. I however am not willing not able to purchase a full leather duty rig. I'm sure Dallas provides everything but your underwear while small departments like mine provide shirts.
Yes they are better than most. It's weird on allowing some things and not others. It's just like anything else. One supervisor may say he doesn't care and the other may nit pick every little thing?

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

Lol ohhhh so now you tell me

DocV
Posts in topic: 6

Post by DocV »

1s1k52 wrote:
I take it this means a Tactical Kilt would be out of the question? :shock:
There goes my holiday gift idea.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

DocV wrote:
1s1k52 wrote:
I think peer pressure would take care of skirt wearing.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

DocV wrote:
1s1k52 wrote:
Not until I get on bike patrol lol

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

Training is going..ok..I guess. My current trainer tells me to drive the opposit way when something serious comes out. Soooo needless to say I am being trained by the finest. We sit in the car a lot and do nothing.

I do traffic stops and 9-10 times I don't write a ticket. Not really why I signed up for this gig. My previous trainer was a lot more proactive thank god.

Wife already hates my current shift (nights) can't blame her. So last night she text me saying she is scared to be home that late by herself all night but doesn't want a gun :headscratch I told her I'm not going to push it on her. Last thing I want is her with a gun she doesn't know how to use. I even told her about the new Glock 43 but no dice. So then I come home and find all 4 locks unlocked on the back door. Yup 4 of them 2 deadbolts, security latch, and the door knob lock.

On the subject of concealed carry I struggle to conceal this sig 226 appendix. I go back and forth whether I should just carry a glock again so I am at least armed with something more comfortable and concealed. Hope all is well with everyone

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

1s1k52 wrote:Training is going..ok..I guess. My current trainer tells me to drive the opposit way when something serious comes out. Soooo needless to say I am being trained by the finest. We sit in the car a lot and do nothing.

I do traffic stops and 9-10 times I don't write a ticket. Not really why I signed up for this gig. My previous trainer was a lot more proactive thank god.

Wife already hates my current shift (nights) can't blame her. So last night she text me saying she is scared to be home that late by herself all night but doesn't want a gun :headscratch I told her I'm not going to push it on her. Last thing I want is her with a gun she doesn't know how to use. I even told her about the new Glock 43 but no dice. So then I come home and find all 4 locks unlocked on the back door. Yup 4 of them 2 deadbolts, security latch, and the door knob lock.

On the subject of concealed carry I struggle to conceal this sig 226 appendix. I go back and forth whether I should just carry a glock again so I am at least armed with something more comfortable and concealed. Hope all is well with everyone
Does DPD provide a compact firearm for concealed carry? They cannot expect you to conceal your full size duty gun. I also carry the Sig 226, is yours the double action only or double/single action?
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

nightmare69 wrote:
1s1k52 wrote:Training is going..ok..I guess. My current trainer tells me to drive the opposit way when something serious comes out. Soooo needless to say I am being trained by the finest. We sit in the car a lot and do nothing.

Does DPD provide a compact firearm for concealed carry? They cannot expect you to conceal your full size duty gun. I also carry the Sig 226, is yours the double action only or double/single action?
Haha no they don't I have to carry a Sig of some sort till I "qualify" next year with a Glock. IF I choose another Sig it must be purchased by me, ammo by me, but they do maintainence. I can't buy the gun used because if I do I run the risk of it not meeting DPD standards. For example, a classmate bought a Sig 239 used and they would not approve her carrying it due to the "guts" not being OEM. Sad thing is this was from another officer that was posted on bulletin board.

So new with a LEO discount most Sigs are 8-900.00. I can get 2 Glocks for that sadly. Supposedly they are working on a push for Glocks. The most I was told could happen if I used an "unauthorized" weapon off duty is a written reprimand.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

That is the reason big departments are not my cup of tea. They seem to wanna dictate every aspect of your life both on and off duty.

I have to use whatever I buy and my department supplies the ammo. I like it cause I can buy what I'm most comfortable and effective with. My AR-15 is the coolest in the department.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I'm curious about this statement. Can you elaborate?

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”