Starting Police Academy

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

CoffeeNut
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Starting Police Academy

Post by CoffeeNut »

1s1k52 wrote:snip...

Since this is a CCW forum I will say that whole mindset and training has actually screwed me. Why? I train to shoot till empty for a reload OR combat reload/malfunction checks. So when I am reloading on empty before being instructed to do so OR shooting 6-7 rounds on a still target out of the hostler. It was funny at first for them. However, the second time they asked me if I knew how to count. I apologized and explained why I had the "bad habbit"

Anyone have any direct questions?
So how are they training you? I've got an uncle that is a police instructor and they train their recruits to count their shots in their head and reload before empty so that they're never running dry. From your text I assume this is the training you were getting?
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

DocV
Posts in topic: 6

Post by DocV »

It is always good to hear from you. Provided I did my counting right, today was the end of your week 12 . So, congrats on your progress. You only have an eternity of time left to go in the academy :biggrinjester:

How much range training is in the academy? Is there enough time to get the new shooters's skill sets up to snuff? Is there tactical training at the academy?

We are rooting for you!

Topic author
1s1k52
Posts in topic: 55

Post by 1s1k52 »

yeah we have to count shots.

yeah DocV it is about week 13 I think?

I shot like absolute crap Friday until we did slow head shots as something fun with our small group of 8. I was on point with that. The instructor gave me crap basically asking where shooting was like that all along lol.

We finish at the range this week. Monday is qualification with day time. Tuesday is 3-12 AM!! for night qualification then back to the academy at 8. Supposedly they have pulled all physical punishment from the academy for whatever reason. Kind of crappy considering some of the people look like they have never seen a weight room or tredmill in their lives in the classes. We are sophomore soon to be junior class so rock on for that.

Taser is coming up. I think it is "voluntold" I have no desired to be tased at all.
(insert clever signature here)

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

Finished the range now back to the grind. I think taser is next week. This week its all back to normal in regards to a test every Monday. I passed the range with a 96 or 98 out of 100 cant remember. I really hope to be on a Glock soon, but that is over a year from now. I also plan to qualify with the .357 sig. I have heard that round doesn't run good in the Glock though as well as the 9mm. PT comes in goes. We have it for 8 hours, two 4 hour blocks, ending this week so we will. We had it for 4 hours Friday and despite trying to work out on my own and stay in shape I was still very sore all weekend. I will also have to qualify using a weapon light if I want one. I do want one, but not made of money and haven't gotten an idea on what all I get discounts on yet as I don't have extra money anyways. Hope all is well with everyone.

jmra

Post by jmra »

1s1k52 wrote:Finished the range now back to the grind. I think taser is next week. This week its all back to normal in regards to a test every Monday. I passed the range with a 96 or 98 out of 100 cant remember. I really hope to be on a Glock soon, but that is over a year from now. I also plan to qualify with the .357 sig. I have heard that round doesn't run good in the Glock though as well as the 9mm. PT comes in goes. We have it for 8 hours, two 4 hour blocks, ending this week so we will. We had it for 4 hours Friday and despite trying to work out on my own and stay in shape I was still very sore all weekend. I will also have to qualify using a weapon light if I want one. I do want one, but not made of money and haven't gotten an idea on what all I get discounts on yet as I don't have extra money anyways. Hope all is well with everyone.
Don't know where you're getting the info about Glocks not running .357 sig and 9mm well. I've had both and never had an issue. When the gen 4 first came out there were issues with the 9mm but a spring replacement on Glocks dime took care of that. The only issues I've ever heard of with the .357 sig models had to do with the use of extended mags with the compact guns and putting too much pressure on the bottom of the mag when gripping the gun. There were some who claimed there was an issue with mag followers but I never encountered it.
The only .357 sig I know of that had major issues was the M&P. Many stories on the web - here's one:
http://bearingarms.com/nc-state-trooper ... g-pistols/
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

I was saying I was told the .357 compared to the 9mm. Not the 9mm included in running poor in Glocks. I have had a Glock 29 and 27 and never had a single issue. I haven't run 1000 of rounds in a combat style with the 29 but I did with the 27.

Baton day tomorrow. 8 hours of it. They shut the doors and raise the heat to mid 90's. Taser is next week.

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 25

Post by nightmare69 »

1s1k52 wrote:I was saying I was told the .357 compared to the 9mm. Not the 9mm included in running poor in Glocks. I have had a Glock 29 and 27 and never had a single issue. I haven't run 1000 of rounds in a combat style with the 29 but I did with the 27.

Baton day tomorrow. 8 hours of it. They shut the doors and raise the heat to mid 90's. Taser is next week.
Give someone your phone and get a video of you being tased, its fun to show your friends and family. ASP day is fun, wear athletic tape on your knuckles. Great job on the range. Have you gone through CCP and Juvenile law yet? Those test were tough for me. Glad to see you're still haning in there. How many more weeks till graduation?
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

Greetings. I have some down town and have access to a computer. Academy is still going well. We did our first "redman" scenerio 2 weeks. I was literally thrown around like a rag doll, but kept fighting so I was passed. My partnet, although we fought seperately, got knocked out. About 5-6 people have to redo it due to failure. I weigh about 185 now vs the 215 when i started. Trying to stay in shape as best as possible. SFST was last week. We got to give test to real drunks 2 nights in a row that was pretty awesome. They brought in some off duty officers and nurses. Man those nurses sure did get hammered and had a few of my buddies blushing lol. We could potenially lose some people to some physical test coming up. As of now we have roughly 30 people I think. They have added some people from previous classes that had injuries and such. Hope everything is going well with everyone.

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

Survived the driving school. Survived being pepper sprayed. Which was the most horriable thing. We had to get sprayed then basically do 3 fighting scenerios after it was activated. We have our DPD final next week and TECOLE test the following week after that. Hope all is well with everyone.

DocV
Posts in topic: 6

Post by DocV »

Except for the pepper spray, that is good news! Did the driving school include parallel parking? Mrs. DocV could use a refresher :lol:

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

DocV wrote:Except for the pepper spray, that is good news! Did the driving school include parallel parking? Mrs. DocV could use a refresher :lol:

Haha not at all. Pursuit driving, driving course with proper steering while being timed etc. I will mention maybe they should throw it in there though lol

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

1s1k52 wrote:Survived the driving school. Survived being pepper sprayed. Which was the most horriable thing. We had to get sprayed then basically do 3 fighting scenerios after it was activated. We have our DPD final next week and TECOLE test the following week after that. Hope all is well with everyone.
If you would like a good TCOLE test review let me know. Our review was 95% word for word.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

1s1k52 wrote:Survived the driving school. Survived being pepper sprayed. Which was the most horriable thing. We had to get sprayed then basically do 3 fighting scenerios after it was activated. We have our DPD final next week and TECOLE test the following week after that. Hope all is well with everyone.
What? After several mentions of not wanting to be tased, no description of what it was actually like? :mrgreen: Did you post a youtube video? :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Also, how many have dropped out or flunked out?
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
What? After several mentions of not wanting to be tased, no description of what it was actually like? :mrgreen: Did you post a youtube video? :lol:

no not exactly ha ha

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”