Starting Police Academy

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
1s1k52
Posts in topic: 55

Re: Starting Police Academy

Post by 1s1k52 »

Keith B wrote:
1s1k52 wrote:Spanish final. Defensive Tactics final, and some scenerio finals are left. Getting mixed information on what happens if you fail them. Considering I dont plan to fail any I try not to pay any mind to it. I went to apply for Mckinney and they closed job opening. I would like to know if anyone wants to explain how to find out if the agency is an AT WILL. Only one I know for sure in my area is Frisco.

The main drive for me looking elsewhere isn't money as much as insurance. Pay about 550 a month for me, wife, 2 kids. We cant go to the doctor for less than 100.00 and that isn't including prescriptions. Daughters antibiotics were 75.00 this weekend.

Thats the only other update really I guess.
Did you check with Plano? They are hiring.
I don't have a Bachelors degree or required time in the military or behind a badge.
(insert clever signature here)

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

nightmare69 wrote:
1s1k52 wrote:Spanish final. Defensive Tactics final, and some scenerio finals are left. Getting mixed information on what happens if you fail them. Considering I dont plan to fail any I try not to pay any mind to it. I went to apply for Mckinney and they closed job opening. I would like to know if anyone wants to explain how to find out if the agency is an AT WILL. Only one I know for sure in my area is Frisco.

The main drive for me looking elsewhere isn't money as much as insurance. Pay about 550 a month for me, wife, 2 kids. We cant go to the doctor for less than 100.00 and that isn't including prescriptions. Daughters antibiotics were 75.00 this weekend.

Thats the only other update really I guess.
Didn't you have a guarenteed job at DPD or are you looking for something closer to home? Forgive me if this has been answered already. DFW has plenty of great departments to work for. As for as at will, try sherrif departments, most big PDs are all now civil service.
Despite my horrible time with CWA, it is recommend especially now days to be in civil service with a union. NP asking something again. I don't even know if that is what was specifically asked. Closer to home, better pay, better benefits, etc. I was told the reason all these things were so crappy with Dallas, were due to great retirement and more opportunity. Well they are drastically changing the retirement, for the worse, and financial things keep coming up. I am paying a very high amount for health care just to pay a minimum 100.00 or more everytime one of us goes to the doctor. I think I would enjoy being on at Dallas more. However, I have more than myself to think about.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

1s1k52 wrote:I would like to know if anyone wants to explain how to find out if the agency is an AT WILL.
The only two things that stop an agency from being at will are civil service and some type of union contract. If the department you want has a union or police association, there will be an association web page and it will usually have references to a contract. Not all associations have negotaiting rights, so look for the contract.

To check for civil service, look for any sign of a written test before hiring. A civil service test is required. Also look for age limitations. Civil service law requires police officers be under age 35 at hiring unless there is prior police service or military experience. Some at will agencies will still limit the hiring age, but few do that since it is illegal age discrimination when they don't have the law to protect them.

Those are the two quickest hints I know of. There is also the direct method of asking the agency. Oh yeah, there is the third way. All state agencies are at will. A lot of them have some openings.
Steve Rothstein

Gaidheal
Banned

Post by Gaidheal »

This was a very interesting read. Thankyou very much for starting this and updating it pretty regularly.

Some time in the middle there I was worrying that you were not going to make it, it was like watching a Soap Opera :eek6

I'm glad you overcame the initial difficulties and I am sorry to hear you are still facing quite a few adversities, by the sounds of it. Did you sign on with Dallas PD at this time?

I certainly found it informative and and potentially useful, as I intend to seek work as a Texas Peace Officer myself. In fact, it was my intention from quite soon after I settled in Texas, however, in my case, the hold up is naturalization, which I cannot begin the final part of until May this year. Oh well, I will get there. :grumble

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

Gaidheal wrote:This was a very interesting read. Thankyou very much for starting this and updating it pretty regularly.

Some time in the middle there I was worrying that you were not going to make it, it was like watching a Soap Opera :eek6

I'm glad you overcame the initial difficulties and I am sorry to hear you are still facing quite a few adversities, by the sounds of it. Did you sign on with Dallas PD at this time?

I certainly found it informative and and potentially useful, as I intend to seek work as a Texas Peace Officer myself. In fact, it was my intention from quite soon after I settled in Texas, however, in my case, the hold up is naturalization, which I cannot begin the final part of until May this year. Oh well, I will get there. :grumble

Thank you very much. I didn't post as much as would have liked to. I graduated and been in the field for a few weeks now. Best job I have ever had hands down.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mojo84 »

Which agency? Let us know more about how it's going.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

Thanks for all the support especially with recent events. I am with Dallas PD. I don't anything anything can phase me. I have already seen things a lot of people maybe couldnt handle? I use a question mark because everything differs from person to person you know? young children are my weakness. Dead bodies, crap houses, dirt bags, car wrecks, etc. I don't really care about any of that. What i mean by I don't care is It doesn't phase me. I will always bust my butt to help ANYONE but the only thing that has kept me up at night thus far is kiddos. ill spare details. Best job ever though for sure. OH and nanna nanna boo boo 30.06 signs no longer apply to me!!!

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 25

Post by nightmare69 »

1s1k52 wrote:OH and nanna nanna boo boo 30.06 signs no longer apply to me!!!
This is a nice perk we get as peace officers.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Keith B »

Sure they do. If you are carrying under authority of Subchapter Chapter 411 Government Code, then it applies to you. An example would be if your department only allowed you to off duty carry your specific type of weapon you carry on duty, then you could carry a different type of pistol with your CHL and the signs would apply.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

Keith B wrote:
Sure they do. If you are carrying under authority of Subchapter Chapter 411 Government Code, then it applies to you. An example would be if your department only allowed you to off duty carry your specific type of weapon you carry on duty, then you could carry a different type of pistol with your CHL and the signs would apply.
You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!

I never really went anywhere anyways that this would help me. College campus maybe but even then it was rare.

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 25

Post by nightmare69 »

1s1k52 wrote:
Keith B wrote:

I never really went anywhere anyways that this would help me. College campus maybe but even then it was rare.
For me I've carried in a few hospitals, court houses, (jury duty) schools, etc that are off limits.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

nightmare69 wrote:
1s1k52 wrote:
Keith B wrote:

For me I've carried in a few hospitals, court houses, (jury duty) schools, etc that are off limits.
Crap forgot about Hospitals. Yeah. Not sure if my kids school falls under the restriction or not. It's not posted, it's preschool/church that's not marked anyways so never really have it much thought.

So anyways stories. Well let's see. So far it's been dirtbags or dirtbags complaining on dirtbags. Had a call where a wealthy guy basically wanted relationship advice about a girlfriend and wife. How to get rid of the girlfriend and keep the wife. I'm like ummm you don't?? Lol not really.

Last night I worked 17 hours still haven't slept. Agg robbery call with drugs and the gun. Tired. I won't be sleeping until midnight tonight between kiddo and honey do's

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

I haven't been around much but I'm glad to see you made it and are progressing through field training. Have a great career!
Psalm 91:2

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

Thanks for all the support everyone. I am making through ok I think. I overheard my trainer and the training Sgt talking about me and nothing bad was said. For those of you who don't know how the military/leo life goes, no news is pretty much good news. Maybe not always the case, but in my case this is a good thing. If the Sgt was needing to talk to me about anything it most likely would be bad due to the nature of chain of command etc. I kind of laugh to myself with that statement because there is a Sgt for just about everything you can think of it seems like. Admin, training, multiple shift Sgt's etc. Speaking of which I shot the worst score I have to date a measly 92. My shift Sgt shot a 80 something lol. I may be able to move to a Glock a lot sooner than I thought I would be able to. So keeping my fingers crossed on that. I can't conceal this Sig for anything. I am the smallest I have been since high school so all my clothes are even baggier than before so cant imagine how it would conceal otherwise. I didn't do like a lot of my classmates have already done and stop working out. Infact I am able to work out harder and more regulated than the program in the academy. Only downside is I am eating us out of house and home lol.

Its been fun, exciting, heartbreaking, and frustrating all wrapped in one so far. Previously life experiences sort of had me prepared for a lot of this so i am not as shocked as maybe other people would be.

Hope all is well with everyone. If anyone sees a used Safariland 6360 w/light for a 226 let me know. I have gone back and forth buying a new one or not because i will have to by a new one for a Glock when I got to it. So If I find one used I won't take a big loss when I sell it.

A-R

Post by A-R »

Keep checking eBay for Safariland duty holsters. Bunch of basket weave no light 6360 Sig holsters under $50 right now. But w/ light will pop up sooner or later if you keep checking.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”