First Police Encounter after CHL Permit...Video

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
JonnySW
Posts in topic: 8

First Police Encounter after CHL Permit...Video

Post by JonnySW »

So i was on the job late the other night training a new employee. Those of you who have seen my other post, know that i work on ATM machines all hours of the day/night, and company policy states no guns allowed. We are however, able to get armed guards as needed.

I was at a site in an older, upper class area in the downtown section of town. We have the ATM open and are performing service when a local police officer arrives. He approaches us and asked what we were doing, when i stated we were working, he was concerned of how late it was (23:30). After explaining what it was we did, he still wasnt satisfied, asking for my DL and company ID. Since i wasnt carrying at the time, i didnt think i needed to give him my CHL permit, so i didnt. He basically stated he needed a more "Legit" reason for me being there, and i stated we are contracted, and work all hours, and i just had a service call. I was in my marked company truck, wearing a company shirt with logo, had company ID and access to the ATM and alarm. All of the equipment including the ATM also have our logos on the as we are also the manufacturer. After more questions and checking ID's, he finally left, and had a few police cars hang around until we left.

My question is, since i wasnt carrying, should i have shown him my CHL permit? i thought about it during the end of our encounter, but didnt want to bring it up and risk more questions. Our people have had numerous run ins with police, some not so great, so i just wanted him to leave. Here is the video, there is audio, but the conversation cant be heard.

[video][/video]

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First Police Encounter after CHL Permit...Video

Post by srothstein »

He left and you completed the job and left, both with no problems. That means you did something right. You were not required by law to give him the CHL since you were not armed at the time. I normally recommend giving the CHL at the same time, just to help keep the officer from panicking when he finds out that you do have one. Apparently, that was not necessary this time but you might consider it for any future encounters.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
JonnySW

Post by JonnySW »

True, i would have given it to him, and if i was carrying i would have right away, but i was a little nervous as we have had some not so great police encounters while working before, resulting in arrests and police roughness...all due to misunderstandings.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Legally, no, you don't have to show your CHL if you are unarmed. I would personally advise the officer that you do have a CHL and notify that you are unarmed and he is more than welcome to see your license if he wishes. If he ran your DL then he knew if you had a valid CHL but I guess he did not feel the need to see it. You did fine.

Some here will argue that you don't have to show it even if the officer asks and they are correct, I personally see no need in creating a fuss about handing over a piece of plastic.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Topic author
JonnySW

Post by JonnySW »

Well he did take my ID and DL, asked me how to pronounce my name and then gave it back. Whether he ran it in his car later, i dont know.

BigBangSmallBucks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BigBangSmallBucks »

I have a friend that was an ATM Tech for Diebold and had a similar thing happen except he was detained for about 15 minutes in the back of a squad car and it was during daylight hours.

Topic author
JonnySW

Post by JonnySW »

BigBangSmallBucks wrote:I have a friend that was an ATM Tech for Diebold and had a similar thing happen except he was detained for about 15 minutes in the back of a squad car and it was during daylight hours.
Do you know what area of TX he worked in? Why detained, ever get a reason from Police?

BigBangSmallBucks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BigBangSmallBucks »

JonnySW wrote:
BigBangSmallBucks wrote:I have a friend that was an ATM Tech for Diebold and had a similar thing happen except he was detained for about 15 minutes in the back of a squad car and it was during daylight hours.
Do you know what area of TX he worked in? Why detained, ever get a reason from Police?
Houston but I can't remember what area at the moment and he thought it was because of his race because he had all of his work badges and was also in his company vehicle.

Topic author
JonnySW

Post by JonnySW »

Ive heard Houston can be bad. I just find it hard to think that the Police have never seen or heard of us working on the ATM;s so late. That seems to be the same story ive heard several times. Some of which are the same cities we have had other altercations with, so i know they have seen us before. Whats sad is, ive been at this site half a dozen times this year after hours, and never had anyone stop.

Misfit Child

Post by Misfit Child »

nightmare69 wrote:Some here will argue that you don't have to show it even if the officer asks and they are correct, I personally see no need in creating a fuss about handing over a piece of plastic.
I agree. Based on some stories, and some other videos, there are a few people in the wrong profession who DO create a fuss over a piece of plastic. Sad.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

it's perfectly understandable why the police would be curious about activities around an ATM and especially late at night. One would think that the ATM company would have established a relationship with the local police, and would inform them when maintenance is being conducted, give the badge number of the contractor, etc.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
JonnySW

Post by JonnySW »

We at times run 10-15 calls a day, no time to call every police dept. We have been doing this line of work for decades, most police know of us.

steve817

Post by steve817 »

JonnySW wrote:
My question is, since i wasnt carrying, should i have shown him my CHL permit? i thought about it during the end of our encounter, but didnt want to bring it up and risk more questions. Our people have had numerous run ins with police, some not so great, so i just wanted him to leave. Here is the video, there is audio, but the conversation cant be heard.

[video][/video]

I'll say something like "I'm not carrying right now you don't need this, correct ?" while holding on to it. Never had one take it. It I am carrying, I will hand it over with my drivers license and say "Here you will need that to".
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”