Weatherford Police shoot woman answers door with gun in hand

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

VMI77
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Weatherford Police shoot woman answers door with gun in

Post by VMI77 »

Keith B wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
Keith B wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
n5wd wrote:From the Weatherford Democrat newspaper:

http://www.weatherforddemocrat.com/news ... l?mode=jqm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"When the lone male officer arrived at the house, he was met at the front door by a woman with a weapon in her hand, according to Crawford.

“At that time, we had an officer-involved shooting where shots were fired,” Crawford said. “The female was transported to [John Peter Smith Hospital] with gunshot wounds.”

Texas Rangers are investigating this situation.
When they use the passive voice like this, they did something sketchy and are trying to distance themselves from any responsibility.
I don't think so. They may be protecting the person who was shot by not saying she was whacked out and went for her gun.
Then they would say something like: the subject pointed her gun at the officer and he defended himself with lethal force --phasing that directly accepts responsibility for the action taken. Use of the passive voice is always a deflection of responsibility, no matter when it is used, whether by a police spokesman, a politician, a scientific paper, or an engineering study. As an engineer I see this technique used all the time when the writer doesn't want to accept responsibility for a conclusion or wants to hedge his claims. And every time I've seen it used, when I dig a little deeper, I find that the argument being made is either very weak or deceptive.
Total speculation. Will wait and see.
BTW, I'm not saying that because they phrased it as they did it means they're guilty of lying or covering something up...it could just be that there was some uncertainty about events and they were deflecting in case some unknown surfaced.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cb1000rider »

If I answered the door with a firearm (which could happen) and it happened to be a police officer, I'm immediately dropping it and on my knees. Immediately. I'm much more afraid of that scenario than opening the door to a Bad Guy...

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 1

Post by nightmare69 »

Just because someone knocks on your door does not mean you have to answer it. If you do not know the person then talk to them through the door or window.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

I'm glad to know it was lack of a complete picture of the event that made me have doubts. I've found Weatherford and Hudson Oaks PD to be excellent.

Officers really do have tough jobs. Anyone see the old lady dragged and "abused" from her vehicle for not giving the officer her license and registration when asked. I have nothing but approval for that officer. She was completely in the wrong for telling him No. Now she's suing of course.
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

Running Arrow Bill

Post by Running Arrow Bill »

nightmare69 wrote:Just because someone knocks on your door does not mean you have to answer it. If you do not know the person then talk to them through the door or window.
Agree 110% !
Running Arrow Farm, LLC
Wellington, TX. 79095
longhorncattle2013@gmail.ocom
Registered Texas Longhorn Cattle

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Running Arrow Bill wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:Just because someone knocks on your door does not mean you have to answer it. If you do not know the person then talk to them through the door or window.
Agree 110% !
This gives you something to think about. . .
[youtube][/youtube]

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

She should have kept the door closed and verified who was there. Then put your gun away and open the door for the officer.
MAS got a good video on this on YouTube.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=YD3zIA6vJkQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

cb1000rider wrote:If I answered the door with a firearm (which could happen) and it happened to be a police officer, I'm immediately dropping it and on my knees. Immediately. I'm much more afraid of that scenario than opening the door to a Bad Guy...
wow
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Just another scenario where on-officer cameras would clarify the issue for a lot of people... And protect good officers that are just doing a tough job.

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

cb1000rider wrote:If I answered the door with a firearm (which could happen) and it happened to be a police officer, I'm immediately dropping it and on my knees. Immediately. I'm much more afraid of that scenario than opening the door to a Bad Guy...
I got a (loud) knock on the door at 2:30am one night. Took me a couple of minutes to get dressed and get my gun, and by the time I got to the door, the person knocking was walking back to his car.

The walkway was dark, so I didn't notice right away that he was a cop. I had my gun in hand, behind my back, and as he walked back, I saw the uniform then noticed it was a cop car.

I didn't drop to my knees, but I did immediately say "I need you to know, I have a CHL and my gun is behind my back. I'll keep it there until you tell me what to do". He laughed, and said not to worry, just holster the gun. Said that if he answered the door at that time of the morning, he'd do it gun in hand too.

Turned out they stopped a couple guys in a car, and noticed what looked like stolen items in the car. Turns out several cars (including my daughter's) in the area had been burglarized, and they had items belonging to her, and wanted her to fill out a report.

dihappy

Post by dihappy »

jmra wrote:Quote
"Nothing at all except the fact that she, like lots of folks when not expecting someone to call, answer the door with a gun in hand."

I don't know about y'all, but I'm not in the habit of answering the door with a gun in my hand - maybe on my hip but not in my hand. And if I ever did, it wouldn't be in plain sight of the person who rang the doorbell.
Heck, i dont even answer the door...ever..without knowing who is on the other side. ESPECIALLY at night.

If im not expecting you, im not answering.

I will shout and ask who you are and what you want, but im not opening the dang door.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”