Part Time LEOs cannot work off duty jobs.

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 11

Re: Part Time LEOs cannot work off duty jobs.

Post by EEllis »

tacticool wrote:
jmra wrote:
Hola Gato wrote:When they're getting paid to do the bidding of some corporation, it should be obvious to the public they're not acting in the discharge of their official duties. A public servant using their official office for personal gain doesn't seem ethical.
:iagree: 100%
Ethically it's in the same category as slipping the building inspector a few bucks to fast lane your paperwork or paying a judge on the side to use his office to your benefit.
Since one is illegal and the other is not there seems to be a big difference ethically speaking

tacticool
Posts in topic: 4

Post by tacticool »

Since one is illegal and the other is not there seems to be a big difference legally but none morally or ethically.
FYP :patriot:
When in doubt
Vote them out!

talltex
Posts in topic: 9

Post by talltex »

tacticool wrote:
Since one is illegal and the other is not there seems to be a big difference legally but none morally or ethically.
:iagree: 100%...just because something is legal doesn't make it moral or ethical...and it works the other way too...there are many things that are illegal that have little to do with morals or ethics, but a lot to do with revenue.
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

talltex wrote:
tacticool wrote:
:iagree: 100%...just because something is legal doesn't make it moral or ethical...and it works the other way too...there are many things that are illegal that have little to do with morals or ethics, but a lot to do with revenue.
:iagree: And vice versa.
NRA Endowment Member

mojo84
Posts in topic: 16

Post by mojo84 »

Based on this comment from another thread, I find it even more idiotic a part time cop can't work a security job.

EEllis wrote:
Jason K wrote:This is what you get when gov't gets involved in regulating private businesses at the request of business......

Why Does the private security field need to be licensed in the first place?
While Texas gives no additional authority to security guards and only limited privileges there is a public benefit to having universal background checks and mandatory training.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

mojo84 wrote:Based on this comment from another thread, I find it even more idiotic a part time cop can't work a security job.

EEllis wrote:
Jason K wrote:This is what you get when gov't gets involved in regulating private businesses at the request of business......

While Texas gives no additional authority to security guards and only limited privileges there is a public benefit to having universal background checks and mandatory training.
Why?

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

EEllis wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Based on this comment from another thread, I find it even more idiotic a part time cop can't work a security job.

EEllis wrote:

Why?
It's self explanatory for those not looking to argue or debate. ;-)
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Alf

Post by Alf »

:nono: No such law. They can legally work a security job if they follow the PSB rules, same as you or me.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Alf wrote:
:nono: No such law. They can legally work a security job if they follow the PSB rules, same as you or me.
That's true, but commissioned officer pay is often less than half of LEO pay for security work.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Alf

Post by Alf »

OK, but commissioned officer pay is a lot less than my normal pay too. Apples and oranges.

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

mojo84 wrote: It's self explanatory for those not looking to argue or debate. ;-)
Well I assume most people on here are at least looking for discussion but but somehow the "IF you don't know then I'm not going to tell you" grade school tactics seems a bit unnecessary. If you don't want to discuss it then why bring it up and if you won't be forthcoming on your stance it's a bit hard to have an open discussion.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Alf wrote:OK, but commissioned officer pay is a lot less than my normal pay too. Apples and oranges.

A part time officer has only a certain number of hours available for private security work. If at the commissioned officer rate he can't make enough during those hours combined with his LEO salary to make ends meet, I think the distinction is quite important.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

EEllis wrote:
mojo84 wrote: It's self explanatory for those not looking to argue or debate. ;-)
Well I assume most people on here are at least looking for discussion but but somehow the "IF you don't know then I'm not going to tell you" grade school tactics seems a bit unnecessary. If you don't want to discuss it then why bring it up and if you won't be forthcoming on your stance it's a bit hard to have an open discussion.

Assume all you want. You call others out for making assumptions but do it quite often yourself.

If this is true, and I have no reason to believe it isn't, then why should it require separate licensing which most would agree is less involved than becoming a licensed cop.

While Texas gives no additional authority to security guards
See, very simple. :tiphat:
Last edited by mojo84 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

Quit the bickering guys or the topic will be locked.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Yes sir!

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”