Part Time LEOs cannot work off duty jobs.

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

victory
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Part Time LEOs cannot work off duty jobs.

Post by victory »

nightmare69 wrote:
victory wrote:If I could double my pay by taking a one week class, I would jump at the opportunity. I woudn't waste a second complaining on the internet that it was unfair, redundant or superfluous. At least not until after I doubled my pay. :lol:

If I did take the class I would be working under a armed security license and not my peace officers license. I would not be able to arrest but only detain and call police.
What happened to Article 14.01, Code of Criminal Procedure?

gljjt
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gljjt »

nightmare69 wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
talltex wrote:
EEllis wrote:I think is some cases it's almost a necessity. Without some traffic control not only can it take forever to get in and out of a parking lot but the length of time it takes encourages behavior that drastically increases the risk of collisions. In some places businesses are told to hire cops or face fines because since it's their traffic is the problem they should pay, not the city.
I'd like to see an actual example of a business being told to hire a cop or face fines...and under what statute in the penal code a business could be charged with an offense for "Failure to Hire Cops".
My previous employee was a large public school who built a new football stadium off a busy loop. Traffic would back up for miles causing accidents and preventing emergency vehicles from responding. I don't know the details but the city along with the local police department had a meeting with the school and told them to do whatever it takes to control their football traffic. They ended up hiring more officers and civilians for traffic control.
So you don't have evidence. I'd love to see a city try to sue a public school. Not sure if thats even possible legally.
I wasent in on the meeting nor do I have a podcast of it. Just telling you what I know.

I had a meeting with my chief and I'm all clear to work off duty jobs.
You got bumped to 32+ hours. I am confused.

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 11

Post by EEllis »

victory wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
victory wrote:If I could double my pay by taking a one week class, I would jump at the opportunity. I woudn't waste a second complaining on the internet that it was unfair, redundant or superfluous. At least not until after I doubled my pay. :lol:

If I did take the class I would be working under a armed security license and not my peace officers license. I would not be able to arrest but only detain and call police.
What happened to Article 14.01, Code of Criminal Procedure?
This would be the reason for the class. Security have the same arrest powers of any citizen. Basically breaches of the public peace and felonies with in view. What they don't have, and citizens either, is the power to detain. Mind you they are idiots if they tell a cop they arrested someone but if they prevent someone from leaving with either force or threat, including intimidation, then they have legally arrested them or committed a crime by "detaining" them. Now there are some exceptions and grey areas but a security officer should never use the word detain.

tacticool
Posts in topic: 4

Post by tacticool »

What I learned from this discussion.
  • Part time LEOs can work off duty security jobs if they're qualified to do so.
  • Part time LEOs can work off duty medic jobs if they're qualified to do so.
  • Part time LEOs can work off duty barber jobs if they're qualified to do so.
  • Part time LEOs can work off duty driving jobs if they're qualified to do so.
  • Part time LEOs can work off duty teaching jobs if they're qualified to do so.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 21

Post by nightmare69 »

Another bombshell. Thanks to the Education Code 51.212 I cannot work off duty jobs cause I don't have full police athority outside the private university's property. This law should be repealed. I never would have thought trying to earn extra money would be so complicated. I hear McDonalds is hiring, I'll go get a application.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

DocV
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DocV »

nightmare69 wrote:Another bombshell. Thanks to the Education Code 51.212 I cannot work off duty jobs cause I don't have full police athority outside the private university's property. This law should be repealed. I never would have thought trying to earn extra money would be so complicated. I hear McDonalds is hiring, I'll go get a application.
There is probably a law against your working there too. :biggrinjester:

Would becoming an auxiliary member of a local agency be possible or useful?

mojo84
Posts in topic: 16

Post by mojo84 »

carlson1 wrote:
Jim Beaux wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
talltex wrote:
...have they ever really needed them to "arrest troublemakers" at your church services? Ya'll must have some really interesting services!
Our church is a small church and I have had three people arrested in the last three years including one this last Easter.

I guess you have missed the church shootings.
Just how does one go about getting arrested in church...bad singing? Details please.
No I will not give details other than to say one incident was very violent. It is against the law in the State of Texas to disrupt a religious service.

For those that don't realize the need for cops, CHLs or security in churches.

http://www.guns.com/2014/08/29/suspecte ... ormer-cop/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In this case, the bad guy encountered a preacher that's a former cop.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Dori

Post by Dori »

nightmare69 wrote:I hear McDonalds is hiring, I'll go get a application.
It's good for you they don't serve alcohol or else you would need TABC training. :mrgreen:

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

DocV wrote:

I've thought about going to my local constable and asking him to hold my commision. The problem with that is I doubt anyone will hold my commision just so I can work off duty jobs. You would think it would be simple to make some extra money in this state but that's not the case. The laws and regulations IMO serve no purpose but to keep man from making a living. All I'm trying to do is work but the bureaucracy in Austin is preventing such. Sorry for the rant, I'm going to find a part time job doing maintenance or something to keep my head above water.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 6

Post by carlson1 »

nightmare69 wrote:...I'm going to find a part time job doing maintenance or something to keep my head above water.
There you go! That is the right way to go about things until you go full time.

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

nightmare69 wrote:
DocV wrote:

I've thought about going to my local constable and asking him to hold my commision. The problem with that is I doubt anyone will hold my commision just so I can work off duty jobs. You would think it would be simple to make some extra money in this state but that's not the case. The laws and regulations IMO serve no purpose but to keep man from making a living. All I'm trying to do is work but the bureaucracy in Austin is preventing such. Sorry for the rant, I'm going to find a part time job doing maintenance or something to keep my head above water.
While it's unfortunate that you are having such a hard time right now I can't say I disagree with the laws. You basically are working for a private enterprise and still have the privilege of having police powers. This is hardly universal. You then want to go and work as police off duty for extra money. But you are only police when you are working at the private university so.....yeah I don't know about that. Basically you think you should be the same as all peace officers but you took a job where you are only a peace officer, sort of, when you are working. You may not abuse them but you shouldn't have police powers outside your job.

That being said it's hard to get started in a new field sometimes. I'm sure you are still looking and you will get there if it's what you're meant to do. You might want to think about reserve work because that often leads to full time and gives you that extra needed experience. Constable Deputies can make extra money sometimes by serving warrants and working the JP courts depending on the dept.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Even though I work for a private university I still went through the same academy and hold the same lisence through TCOLE. Plus I still have my commission with a local sheriff dept.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

nightmare69 wrote:Even though I work for a private university I still went through the same academy and hold the same lisence through TCOLE. Plus I still have my commission with a local sheriff dept.
I wasn't questioning your qualifications or even ability. I think of it, as I think I said before, as paying police to "police" at a specific place rather than the cops being "security". In a case such as your you would have a person who has no police powers off duty so how can they "police" off duty? Then there is the fact that you work for a private institution so under who's supervision and guidelines are you working? HPD requires officers to get permits to work off duty and regulates where and how they do their jobs even off duty. How could a private agency supervise their officers working off duty? Sure it sucks for you but I can understand why it's like it is. I knew of a Rice U cop who worked uniform security as a second job just for the reason you brought up. His issue was that due to physical issues he couldn't get on with a large public Dept. It is just unfortunate that you didn't know all this going in.

Hola Gato

Post by Hola Gato »

carlson1 wrote:Just my .02 I don't mind if reserves or part time officers work part time security as long as the full time officers have had a chance at that job first.
I don't mind if reserves, retired, or active cops work as a security guard off duty as long as they wear a security guard uniform, drive security guard vehicles, etc. When they're getting paid to do the bidding of some corporation, it should be obvious to the public they're not acting in the discharge of their official duties. A public servant using their official office for personal gain doesn't seem ethical.
I didn't vote for Obama.
Somebody else did that.

jmra
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jmra »

Hola Gato wrote:
carlson1 wrote:Just my .02 I don't mind if reserves or part time officers work part time security as long as the full time officers have had a chance at that job first.
I don't mind if reserves, retired, or active cops work as a security guard off duty as long as they wear a security guard uniform, drive security guard vehicles, etc. When they're getting paid to do the bidding of some corporation, it should be obvious to the public they're not acting in the discharge of their official duties. A public servant using their official office for personal gain doesn't seem ethical.
:iagree: 100%
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”