Not a "contact or blooper" but an interesting article

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Not a "contact or blooper" but an interesting article

Post by mojo84 »

This is an older article but it gives some good insight from a cops perspective. Hope this isn't a duplicate post. Much of it is common sense or redundant info but it is a good read nonetheless. I'm sure there are some things that can be quibbled with but overall, I think it is on point. The author conveys many of the characteristics and attitudes I appreciate in a good cop.
Dealing with citizens legally carrying a concealed weapon
With 48 of our 50 states allowing some form of CCW permit, the possibility of encountering a law-abiding, pro-law enforcement person carrying a gun is significant, and growing

http://www.policeone.com/police-product ... ed-weapon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Grillmark55
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Not a "contact or blooper" but an interesting article

Post by Grillmark55 »

Great article. Hope that most LEO's feel that way!
A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojo84 »

I think that article is representative of many. The comments below are encouraging.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

txcharvel

Post by txcharvel »

I agree, interesting article.

I admit, I don't understand the need for an officer to disarm an otherwise lawful citizen during a traffic stop (see comments in article). The average citizen, or officer of the law, would never know I'm carrying if they met me out in a restaurant or other social setting. But all of a sudden I become a threat when they pull me over and I tell them I'm lawfully carrying.

For the record, I have never been disarmed by a police officer, but the idea of it happening seems extremely insulting.

I understand that police officer members of this forum may not operate this way, but I would be interested in gaining some insight into why some do.

:patriot:

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

txcharvel wrote:
I admit, I don't understand the need for an officer to disarm an otherwise lawful citizen during a traffic stop (see comments in article). The average citizen, or officer of the law, would never know I'm carrying if they met me out in a restaurant or other social setting. But all of a sudden I become a threat when they pull me over and I tell them I'm lawfully carrying.

For the record, I have never been disarmed by a police officer, but the idea of it happening seems extremely insulting.
I agree. I put it this way to a friend, who is an investigator with a local agency:
"You're driving your unmarked car and get involved in a fender-bender while traveling through a neighboring city. The responding officer, finding out that you're lawfully carrying a concealed weapon, decides to disarm you "for his protection". How insulted would YOU be?"
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Such disarming doesn't always occur, as those LEO's have common sense.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

I have generally observed that rank and file, front line officers, are typically fine with concealed carry licensees, as well as being pro-2A.

Conversely, police chiefs and other top brass in large urban areas seem to be more politician than law enforcement. Their attitudes typically mirror the Democratic party that also seems to dominate large urban areas: i.e. generally anti-gun and pushing gun control.

There are exceptions to both tendencies, of course. The sheriff in Milwaukee WI and the police chief in Detroit both appear to welcome and support concealed carry licensees. Similar anti-gun exceptions occur in the rank and file.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Been stopped about 5 times (only one ticket), approached on foot twice, and never been disarmed (stops by sheriff, local, and DPS).
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

I have never been "stopped" while carrying but have been in two fairly serious traffic accidents, one in Dallas and one in Grand Prairie, while carrying and met with an officer in Oklahoma City after he called me from my home phone that my house had been burglarized. I informed all and never had them blink, other than the double take the officers at the accidents had that I was so calm when every one else was running on adrenalin. :evil2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”