Unpleasant encounter with Rosenberg LEO

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Unpleasant encounter with Rosenberg LEO

Post by nightmare69 »

gigag04 wrote:Lol at duty holsters with snaps!
Is that what the old guys carried their revolvers in?

Still hear them making fun of our "electric" guns and asking if we brought our own extension cords or needed to borrow some at the range. They are a different breed.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MechAg94 »

Don't most LEOs run your license plate and pretty much know you have a CHL before approaching the vehicle? I took that as a given.

victory
Posts in topic: 2

Post by victory »

MechAg94 wrote:Don't most LEOs run your license plate and pretty much know you have a CHL before approaching the vehicle? I took that as a given.
That assumes the car is registered in your name, for one thing.

TresHuevos

Post by TresHuevos »

MechAg94 wrote:Don't most LEOs run your license plate and pretty much know you have a CHL before approaching the vehicle? I took that as a given.
My understanding is that the license plate is not tied to your CHL but your driver's license is.
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic deeds." - C.S. Lewis
My State Rep Joe Moody is a liberal puke who won't even acknowledge my communications with him. How about yours?

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

Your plate is not tied to show your CHL, only your drivers license. If an officer runs your tag, then runs the name that comes back to the tag, they may assume you are the driver and then know you have a CHL. If you only give them your DL, then they may want to know why you didn't give them your CHL as well.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

talltex
Posts in topic: 7

Post by talltex »

nightmare69 wrote:
gigag04 wrote:Lol at duty holsters with snaps!
Is that what the old guys carried their revolvers in?

They are a different breed.
HEY...I resemble that remark! But not ONLY for beautifully crafted revolvers, such as a 4"Colt Python in Royal Blue, or a Model 27 Smith in mirror finished Bright Blue, but also my favorite carry, a Colt 1911 Mark IV, circa 1976, in polished blue with custom ivory grips. All of the aforementioned holstered in light tan, heavy natural oil tanned leather, with metal reinforced thumb break top strap. Mostly Bianchi belt models years ago, but current favorite for looks and comfort is Galco Paddle in lined light tan with tension screws and thumb break top strap for that 1911, and a newer Officer's Model from the early 90's. They just look GOOD. I have to admit there are also some Kydex paddles on the shelfs that see use occasionally, and more often than not now I carry a Springfield XD 9mm with 17 round mags, but it's also in a molded tan leather paddle with thumb break top strap....can't help it....just old school. ;-)
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Keith B wrote:
Your plate is not tied to show your CHL, only your drivers license. If an officer runs your tag, then runs the name that comes back to the tag, they may assume you are the driver and then know you have a CHL. If you only give them your DL, then they may want to know why you didn't give them your CHL as well.
All that comes back is name and address of owner, insurance infomation, and if the vehicle is stolen.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Dad24GreatKids

Post by Dad24GreatKids »

StrangeBulge wrote:
Abraham wrote:StrangeBulge,

I would have a respectful talk with her Chief.

If she's that tense, what would've happened if you too had gotten shrill and obnoxious, especially given her unjust treatment of you...?

Yes, it ended up o.k., due it sounds like mainly because YOU were cool, calm and professional, rather than reacting justly aggravated with her ill treatment of you.
I've looked into her past this morning. She has been an officer for less than a year.

I will email the chief and mention that walking around "hand on pistol" is probably not the best way to maintain "officer safety". I will also mention i do not enjoy being questioned from behind by an officer, potentially at gunpoint. It is really hard to have a conversation once the OODA loop engages. She is obviously not realizing that her reaction escalates the situation instead of defusing it. I have no desire to get shot either, so I identified.
Did you get a response to your email?
Dad24GreatKids
NRA Life member
TSRA

Distinguished Rick

Post by Distinguished Rick »

I don't fault her and I think the situation was handled professionally. Granted CHL'ers have a very low crime rate she erred on the side of caution. No wrong with that. Flip side, you did your part as well. Courteous and level headed is the way to act. Bright side is....no ticket! :hurry:
CHL holder since 1996.
USMC Shooting Team 1985 - 1988
Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
"People sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Bottom line she is young and still a little damp behind the ears. Her Shift Sarge needs to sit her down and a nice talk with her. With the wrong person her escalation of the situation could wind up with both dead or in hospital. :txflag:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

nightmare69,

You said: "All that comes back is name and address of owner, insurance infomation, and if the vehicle is stolen."

Insurance information being that you have it and it's current or ...?

If that's the case, why do we have to show proof of insurance if the insurance information is in the system?

Thanks!

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

Abraham wrote:nightmare69,

You said: "All that comes back is name and address of owner, insurance infomation, and if the vehicle is stolen."

If that's the case, why do we have to show proof of insurance if the insurance information is in the system?

Thanks!
The insurance database is only about 85% accurate. It has gaps and incorrect information and this admission is from the State of Texas website. But cops are trained to ask so they ask.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

LabRat wrote:
Abraham wrote:nightmare69,

Thanks!
The insurance database is only about 85% accurate. It has gaps and incorrect information and this admission is from the State of Texas website. But cops are trained to ask so they ask.

LabRat
and the requirement to carry proof of insurance hasn't been removed from the law

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

JP171 wrote:
and the requirement to carry proof of insurance hasn't been removed from the law
Absolutely correct. Still a requirement and you should have it.
There are plenty of folks driving around without insurance...usually discovered when an accident occurs.

If I have to pay for car insurance, so should everyone. It's the fair thing to do. I do know that Carrollton Police will tow a car if there is no insurance and they find it on the roadway. Good for them. Not a dreaded seizure; just get insurance and reclaim the car.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

hillfighter
Banned

Post by hillfighter »

LabRat wrote:I do know that Carrollton Police will tow a car if there is no insurance and they find it on the roadway. Good for them.
I wasn't sure if "find it on the roadway" includes traffic stops but if it does I think that's a great idea. Especially if they apply the same standard to vehicles with out of state and foreign plates. They're also required to have proof of financial responsibility if they operate the vehicle on Texas roads.
"support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”