Speeding in Allen TX

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Rrash
Posts in topic: 3

Speeding in Allen TX

Post by Rrash »

Welp, my lucky streak of 12 years without being pulled over has been broken recently, and I guess when it rains, it pours (if you can call being pulled over twice in 13 months an unlucky streak). Today, I was caught in Allen going 54 in a 40. I had a good story: Two sick kids, spent the whole morning at the doctor, picked up their prescriptions at the pharmacy, delivered them to my mother-in-law's so somebody can take good care of them, and was desperately trying to get to work - I need to be a little productive at some point today! I wasn't going to voluntarily share my excuse, but oh, how I hoped the officer would ask. Either way, I was speeding and I'm responsible for operating my vehicle within the law regardless of how my day has been going. But one can still hope!

I handed all my information over to the officer, he asked his routine questions (do you have outstanding warrants, etc.), but no, "Why were you speeding?" questions. He immediately gave back my CHL, saying, "I don't need to see that - you're good." It was obvious he was CHL friendly, so as I kept my hands in plain sight, I was starting to think I would be one of the lucky ones I read about on here.

A couple minutes later, he returned. No luck today; I got the ticket. What happened afterwards, however, was awkward, yet cool. He thanked me for being polite, for "not cussing him out." He told me how glad he was to see that I was carrying my firearm - that too many people get their CHL and ever don't use it. I told him I carry everywhere I legally can. Next, he asked what I was carrying, which led to a pleasant chat about guns, EDC knives, flashlights, etc. I told him that in light of all the bad police press lately, I appreciated the job he did. He apologized for giving me the ticket, but said it was "...unfortunately the business side of catching someone going 14 over the limit." (I didn't say it, but I was thinking the "business side" probably had more to do with needing revenue to pay for that fancy new stadium.) We shook hands and went about our ways.

As I drove away, I kept thinking, "Should I be mad?" Yes, but only at myself for being the only idiot who didn't slow down.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Speeding in Allen TX

Post by RoyGBiv »

Thanks for sharing. Good on you for giving the officer some positive reinforcement, even though he was giving you a ticket. :thumbs2:

Now.... SLOW DOWN... (and get off my lawn!) :mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Well put. That little bit of politeness, or professionalism, never hurts.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

MotherBear

Post by MotherBear »

Rrash wrote: (I didn't say it, but I was thinking the "business side" probably had more to do with needing revenue to pay for that fancy new stadium.)
If it's any consolation, the school district budget is completely separate from the city budget in every city/school district I've ever known and I'd be pretty shocked to hear it operates otherwise anywhere in Texas. I've rolled my eyes every time I've driven past that stadium, but at least it likely doesn't have anything to do with the police. I'm given to understand the police there have pretty generous salaries, but I doubt it's out of line with the city's budget as a whole, and I'd imagine the department works to provide service in keeping with their pay.

Munk

Post by Munk »

Has anyone ever gotten out of a ticket in Allen? Haha!
III%

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Beiruty »

MotherBear wrote:
Rrash wrote: (I didn't say it, but I was thinking the "business side" probably had more to do with needing revenue to pay for that fancy new stadium.)
If it's any consolation, the school district budget is completely separate from the city budget in every city/school district I've ever known and I'd be pretty shocked to hear it operates otherwise anywhere in Texas. I've rolled my eyes every time I've driven past that stadium, but at least it likely doesn't have anything to do with the police. I'm given to understand the police there have pretty generous salaries, but I doubt it's out of line with the city's budget as a whole, and I'd imagine the department works to provide service in keeping with their pay.
Allen TX HS stadium is paid by a municipal bond authorized and paid by the Allen residents' home taxes. To be on the positive side, Allen HS team, Allen Eagles are Texas Champions in 3 yrs in row 2012, 2013, and 2014.
Last edited by Beiruty on Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Beiruty »

Munk wrote:Has anyone ever gotten out of a ticket in Allen? Haha!
I did not got a ticket in Allen. In Plano, I was zapped 3 times in the last 3 years, each ticket would cost $185-$240 or so in defensive driving course and court fees.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
Rrash

Post by Rrash »

Beiruty wrote:
MotherBear wrote:
Allen TX HS stadium is paid by a municipal bond authorized and paid by the Allen residents' home taxes. To be on the positive side, Allen HS team, Allen Eagles are Texas Champions in 3 yrs in row 2012, 2013, and 2014.
I was trying for a bit of humor. All good. I was the one speeding, not him.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

And the stadium was shut down to address construction defects. Nonetheless, I understood his point and recognized the attempt at humor.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Munk wrote:Has anyone ever gotten out of a ticket in Allen? Haha!
I pulled an illegal 'u' turn, IN FRONT OF THE POLICE STATION, a few years ago. I was stopped, and not ticketed.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

AlaskanInTexas

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

In Allen, 14 MPH over is about the most serious crime there is (well except for the recent rash of home invasions of Indian and Pakistani families). If they didn't write those tickets, they'd have nothing to do.

Topic author
Rrash

Post by Rrash »

AlaskanInTexas wrote:In Allen, 14 MPH over is about the most serious crime...
"rlol"

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

You were speeding and he was just doing his job.

You did well being polite. I always am because when they pull me over I am usually in the wrong anyway... :totap: :shock: :cryin :banghead: :grumble
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”