Off-duty cop mistakenly shoots himself in elevator while adj

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
jayinsat
Posts in topic: 1

Off-duty cop mistakenly shoots himself in elevator while adj

Post by jayinsat »

Here's a link to the story:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3Nv4ef3CV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is the video:
[youtube][/youtube]
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Off-duty cop mistakenly shoots himself in elevator while

Post by C-dub »

How he's allegedly someone that is used to handling firearms. Maybe he is and maybe he isn't. I also don't think it was in the holster when he pulled the trigger. He was playing around with it too much and looked like a careless fool. But, hey! They're the only professional enough in some peoples' eyes to have guns. :banghead:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jmra

Post by jmra »

I wonder how much he had to drink with dinner.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

C-dub wrote:How he's allegedly someone that is used to handling firearms. Maybe he is and maybe he isn't. I also don't think it was in the holster when he pulled the trigger. He was playing around with it too much and looked like a careless fool. But, hey! They're the only professional enough in some peoples' eyes to have guns. :banghead:
It looked as if he removed it from his holster (uncomfortable?) and tried to place it in his right jacket pocket discharging it in the process. the bullet struck the elevator door and ricocheted striking him there after.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

E.Marquez wrote:
C-dub wrote:How he's allegedly someone that is used to handling firearms. Maybe he is and maybe he isn't. I also don't think it was in the holster when he pulled the trigger. He was playing around with it too much and looked like a careless fool. But, hey! They're the only professional enough in some peoples' eyes to have guns. :banghead:
It looked as if he removed it from his holster (uncomfortable?) and tried to place it in his right jacket pocket discharging it in the process. the bullet struck the elevator door and ricocheted striking him there after.
In this pic you can see both the projectile, the right hand blurry dot between him and the woman, and the ejected casing, the left hand blurry dot.

I get a kick out of, after she exits the elevator and comes back for her purse, she polices up the brass.

I have to wonder how many wails that thing caromed off of to get back to him.
Attachments
Copshot..jpg
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I think he was drunk as he seemed having trouble putting the pistol in his pocket. I just wonder by he had to unholster his pistol :banghead: :banghead:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

Beiruty wrote:I think he was drunk as he seemed having trouble putting the pistol in his pocket. I just wonder by he had to unholster his pistol :banghead: :banghead:
As the woman doesn't seem astonished when he pulls it out, I suspect he was showing off for her. Dunno if it's his wife, girlfriend, or someone he just met, although I suspect she probably knew him prior, due to her demeanor.

No sympathy for him, aside from the pain he must have felt. Bet he was really embarrassed to be spending the night in the ER, instead of wherever he -thought- he was gonna be. I do kinda feel bad for the woman, though.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

JSThane wrote:
Beiruty wrote:I think he was drunk as he seemed having trouble putting the pistol in his pocket. I just wonder by he had to unholster his pistol :banghead: :banghead:
As the woman doesn't seem astonished when he pulls it out, I suspect he was showing off for her. Dunno if it's his wife, girlfriend, or someone he just met, although I suspect she probably knew him prior, due to her demeanor.

No sympathy for him, aside from the pain he must have felt. Bet he was really embarrassed to be spending the night in the ER, instead of wherever he -thought- he was gonna be. I do kinda feel bad for the woman, though.
The article said she is his wife.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

The article also said he was trying to adjust his pistol in the holster.

The video obviously proves that is false. He took the gun out of his waistband (don't know if there was a holster) and pointed it at himself 3 or 4 times as he fumbled around, trying to put it in his coat pocket. I don't think the bullet hit anything else. It looked to me like he shot himself in the stomach, from the side.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

As background info, a local article said he was unholstering to carry his handgun in his hand from the elevator to his car.

This happened at night in a parking garage in the "Over-the-Rhine" neighborhood of Cincinnati. This was traditionally a BAD, BAD, BAD part of town that has recently experienced a certain amount of gentrification and renewal. So people are going there to go out to a restaurant, for example, but trouble is never that far away.

I understand a tactical advantage to having a gun in hand or grasped in your pocket, compared to drawing from a holster under a heavy winter coat. Keeping in mind that Ohio is an open carry state and holding a handgun down by your side while walking to your car is perfectly legal, I could see myself choosing to do that as well. However, I would not be drunk (if he was), and more ideally, I'd NEVER be in that neighborhood at night (especially with my wife!).
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RogueUSMC »

Pawpaw wrote:The article also said he was trying to adjust his pistol in the holster.

The video obviously proves that is false. He took the gun out of his waistband (don't know if there was a holster) and pointed it at himself 3 or 4 times as he fumbled around, trying to put it in his coat pocket. I don't think the bullet hit anything else. It looked to me like he shot himself in the stomach, from the side.
The article also tried to say he dropped it and it went off when she tried to catch it...she never touched it before it discharged. Video tells waaaaay more than the article does.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I bet they didn't realize there were cameras in the elevator when they spun their story.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Different article than I read last night...my bad.

But it that had been me and my wife, she would never allow me to handle a gun around her ever again. She had a car that ran out of gas on her when the gauge said a quarter tank...to this day, in her mind, she can't let a car get below a quarter tank...ever...lol
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Rrash

Post by Rrash »

Mamma always said, "If you're going to carry an unholstered pistol in your pocket with your finger on the trigger, please carry one of these in your other pocket."

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

cracks me up though when news articles try to sound like they know what they are talking about when they say stuff like, "the bullet ricocheted from the gun and hit him in the stomach." :roll:
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”