Speeding (?) Ticket then no ticket

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
AustinMRH
Posts in topic: 5

Speeding (?) Ticket then no ticket

Post by AustinMRH »

Late October on a Sunday I was pulled over in my wife's car with the full family (wife, toddler, and angry dog) and my j frame. In my wife's car so as we were pulling over I slipped the gun out of my waist band and handed it to her to put in the glovebox. Tight fit with all her junk in there, otherwise I would have thrown it under the seat real quick. I had just set the cruise control at the time, 69mph in what I thought was a 70 zone that turned out to be a 65. Officer says though I was doing 76 which was really strange and I even answered his "do you know why I pulled you over" with a "no, I had just set my CC at 69, under the limit" he of course informed me both that the limit was 65 in that section and that he tagged me at 76.

He was very nice, and only asked where the gun was when I handed him my CHL. He came back and handed me a ticket for 74mph, as he told me 11 over would be more points or something. Oh the generosity... Once we got rolling my wife and i used both cell phones and our Garmin to verify the speedo works on the car, which it does. So I was a little bummed. CHL wise, no big deal, first ticket in 10 years though sucked.

Fast forward, the ticket was not in the system come by court date and the clerk told me it could be up to 2 years before it was entered. As of today, still nothing in the system. So if anyone has insight on that I would appreciate it. I keep hoping the officer either had a change in heart, or realized their was something off with his radar that day and threw it out.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Speeding (?) Ticket then no ticket

Post by mojo84 »

Don't know anything about the ticket entering process. However, I am curious why you felt the need to relocate the gun. If it were me, I wouldn't mess with the gun at all during a cop contact.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

Why did you feel the need to disarm during a traffic stop?
Hopefully that gun was in a holster in your waistband?

Sorry, but I don't have anything for you on why the ticket hasn't shown up.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
AustinMRH

Post by AustinMRH »

I use one of the J-Hooks when I am walking around, I usually remove the revolver though and place it in the front seat pocket:

however on my wife's car the pocket is not very deep so the butt end sticks up a little bit. So when I am in her car i usually keep it in my waistband. If i had to actually interact with an officer for any reason I would rather though the gun not be on my person but rather in a secure place in the car. My preference. I slid it out and over to her and as she pulled out the insurance she put it in the glovebox.

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

Seems like both a dangerous and illegal way to carry. Hard to tell without seeing it, but I sure as heck wouldn't do it that way.

Topic author
AustinMRH

Post by AustinMRH »

On my car that pocket is deep enough to fully conceal my revolver, which is why I carry there when I drive. On my wife's car it is barely deep enough for a cell phone, so I don't carry there. As for legal and safe, I'm very confident in both.

The photo is just a generic one from the interwebs intended to show the pocket nothing else.

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

AustinMRH wrote:On my car that pocket is deep enough to fully conceal my revolver, which is why I carry there when I drive. On my wife's car it is barely deep enough for a cell phone, so I don't carry there. As for legal and safe, I'm very confident in both.

The photo is just a generic one from the interwebs intended to show the pocket nothing else.
I'm not trying to bash you, so please don't take it that way at all.

In your wife's car- If you can see the grip it's illegal. There is no way I would be handling a handgun knowing that police would soon be approaching me, I would feel that would be putting myself at unnecessary and added risk.

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

So by reading this thread I have come to the conclusion that if you had carried your weapon in the "Approved manner" you would not have gotten a ticket, oh wait what was the question.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

TVGuy wrote:
AustinMRH wrote:On my car that pocket is deep enough to fully conceal my revolver, which is why I carry there when I drive. On my wife's car it is barely deep enough for a cell phone, so I don't carry there....

...In your wife's car- If you can see the grip it's illegal....
Not necessarily. The question is not whether the driver can see the grip, it is whether someone outside the car can see it.

In the front of the seat, with a driver's legs on each side, it begs the question whether it is really visible outside the car.

Besides, he said he does not carry there in his wife's car.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

Jumping Frog wrote:
TVGuy wrote:
AustinMRH wrote:On my car that pocket is deep enough to fully conceal my revolver, which is why I carry there when I drive. On my wife's car it is barely deep enough for a cell phone, so I don't carry there....

Not necessarily. The question is not whether the driver can see the grip, it is whether someone outside the car can see it.

In the front of the seat, with a driver's legs on each side, it begs the question whether it is really visible outside the car.

If he's asked to step out of the car and the cop can then see it, you have a potentially huge problem. I wouldn't be willing to take that risk.

The way I read it, that's why he moved it. Maybe I'm wrong.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Your ticket should have had a court appearance date on it. If not, then I am wondering if he failed to write it properly. If so, then I would talk to someone about the discrepancy and the validity of the ticket.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

TVGuy wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:
TVGuy wrote:

If he's asked to step out of the car and the cop can then see it, you have a potentially huge problem. I wouldn't be willing to take that risk.

The way I read it, that's why he moved it. Maybe I'm wrong.

He said he moved it from his waistband.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

From what I understand a officer cannot "tear up" a ticket or "unwrite" it. If it was written then it has to go into the system. Why it is not there or couldn't be found at the court date is a question you need to take up with the judge or clerk. Two years does not sound right.

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

Was it in fortworth, my wife had to wait almost 2 years for a court date.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I know what you're talking about when it comes to the "generosity" thing. Drives me crazy and infuriates me all at once. I think I've had four speeding tickets in my life and only two of them were legit. Those were written with the speed I thought I was doing. The officers on the other two each told me they clocked me at more than 10 over what I was doing according to my speedometer. One was more than 25 over. Both claimed they were doing me a favor since I didn't attempt to run. I told both of them I had no reason to run because I wasn't doing anything wrong. Infuriates the day lights out of me because it costs more to fight it than to just pay the ticket. I'm sure they knew that and that is why. Path of least resistance and all that.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”