Almost got to have The Talk with a nice officer

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
treadlightly
Posts in topic: 2

Almost got to have The Talk with a nice officer

Post by treadlightly »

While securing the rear area of our business I saw a weak flicker of pickup headlights and a feeble attempt to grind a starter down in an underpass that floods in every heavy dew.

Lately, it's been flooded quite a bit. It has to be barricaded so often there are permanent gates on each approach to the underpass. Just after the truck's starter wheezed its last I heard the characteristic clink of beer bottles bouncing off cement, splashing into the three feet of water that had stalled the truck.

I had a (probable) drunk run a car through my back fence a while back in the middle of the night. I didn't have a chance to help that motorist, who cut and run before we could negotiate repair expenses, but this motorist was right there waiting for my assistance. I called the police to report the vehicle in distress.

About a half dozen cop and DPS cars showed up, all of whom seemed amused at the situation. The motorist said the locked gate was actually open when he drove past, and cops started making cracks about the driver having had a little to drink. It also came to light there were kids in the truck with the possibly tipsy driver.

I commented to a state trooper if the driver had been thinking ahead he would have brought a rod and reel. Sitting in the middle of that pond he had plenty of time to fish. He wasn't going anywhere.

Many chuckles were had by all. By then, the discarded beer bottles had floated back to the truck. They were floating like fish bobbers all over the place.

And then one of the officers wanted my contact information since I'd made the helpful call. I didn't quite know the correct protocol for that kind of encounter between citizens, one with a badge, enjoying their Second Amendment rights. I gave the officer my name and phone number, kind of waiting for him to ask for ID. He didn't, and I really felt bashful about not having already mentioned the daemonic mechanism tucked coyly in my belt.

So I didn't say anything. We exchanged pleasantries, shook hands, and parted as friends.

Is that generally the right way to handle being armed in the company of law enforcement? If they don't ask, don't tell?

'Course, it was nice to know my concealment worked.

Later, while we were eating supper, I saw the rescued pickup truck on the back of a tow truck headed in the general direction of the local impound. When you drink, drive, and swamp your pickup behind police barricades you get valet parking. Convenient!

But I'm curious - was that the right way to handle the conversation?

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Almost got to have The Talk with a nice officer

Post by Keith B »

If only asked for name and contact info, and not ID, then you don't have to produce it. You did fine.

As to the driver, the only thing that burns me more than intoxicated driver is one that has kids in the vehicle. :mad5
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

joe817

Post by joe817 »

I think you handled the situation perfectly. :thumbs2: As you were acting as a witness, there was no reason to mention your CHL OR your gun. Concealed means concealed. Had he asked you for ID, of course you would have presented both.

Neat story. Thanks for sharing.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
treadlightly
Posts in topic: 2

Post by treadlightly »

Thanks for your insights. Low key is always better, at least when it's appropriate.
As to the driver, the only thing that burns me more than intoxicated driver is one that has kids in the vehicle.
My thoughts exactly.

ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

I think you did just fine.

My pet peeve is going out to eat and watching the Idots consume 4 or 5 of those extra large mugs of beer then stagger out with the wife and little kids in tow. :mad5

On a lighter note. Around here we have lots of spots where really big catfish are swimming in front yards. No need for rod and reel! You just have to beat the crocs to 'em. :eek6
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”