Conversation with LEO

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Conversation with LEO

Post by CleverNickname »

jmra wrote: The conversation moved on to his lamenting that as a police officer he was still subject to the same Texas 3 day waiting period for handgun purchases as everyone else...
I think he was probably referring to the max 3 business day wait if NICS returns "delay" instead of "proceed". LE has to go through NICS just like anyone else, unless they have a NICS-exempt handgun license. Since LE in Texas only pays $25 for a CHL, apparently a lot of LE just get a CHL so they don't have to wait on NICS.

Topic author
jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

CleverNickname wrote:
jmra wrote: The conversation moved on to his lamenting that as a police officer he was still subject to the same Texas 3 day waiting period for handgun purchases as everyone else...
I think he was probably referring to the max 3 business day wait if NICS returns "delay" instead of "proceed". LE has to go through NICS just like anyone else, unless they have a NICS-exempt handgun license. Since LE in Texas only pays $25 for a CHL, apparently a lot of LE just get a CHL so they don't have to wait on NICS.
Nope. It was very clear that this is not what he was referring to. We discussed it in depth. He was not convinced until I showed him several legal references on my phone.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

VMI77
Posts in topic: 1

Post by VMI77 »

jmra wrote:Had an interesting conversation with a LEO the other day. I work with a number of officers so these conversations are not unusual.
The conversation started off with a discussion about open carry. The LEO could not understand why it was necessary for anyone to OC and felt it would make his job much more difficult. When I suggested that he would rarely if ever see anyone OC he looked at me in shock and said, "With 40% of Texas residents having CHLs we are expecting a lot of OC".
When I tried to convince him that less than 4% of the population of Texas had a CHL he thought I was crazy. I had to pull up the population stats and the CHL stats. Once he saw the numbers he still insisted that his department and others were being told that the numbers are at 40%.
The conversation moved on to his lamenting that as a police officer he was still subject to the same Texas 3 day waiting period for handgun purchases as everyone else... :banghead:

I am constantly amazed about how little many LEO seem to know about current gun laws. Maybe it's just the area where I live but I'm constantly educating officers who are either misinformed on changes in the law or simply missed law changes completely. I know they have a lot to keep up with, but I think "continuing education" should become a priority in many of our departments.
ETA: I should add that the younger officers I encounter seem to be much more up to date and informed on current gun laws. It seems to be the guys who have been around for a while that are confused.
I think it's quite possible the "leadership" is lying to the rank and file to stir up opposition to open carry, and carry in general.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”