Nephews encounter with LEO N. Dallas

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

hornetfan63
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Nephews encounter with LEO N. Dallas

Post by hornetfan63 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
EEllis wrote:That's great that the officer is pro chl but where the heck does he or any cop get off by lecturing about anything not pertaining to legal issue? My carry is my business carry-or not. He's a cop not a parent. Not a buddy. We're not hanging out he is making a custodial stop.
Wow. :roll:
:iagree:

bigity

Post by bigity »

Outstanding.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Vol Texan »

EEllis wrote:That's great that the officer is pro chl but where the heck does he or any cop get off by lecturing about anything not pertaining to legal issue? My carry is my business carry-or not. He's a cop not a parent. Not a buddy. We're not hanging out he is making a custodial stop.
I bet he saw this as a good mentoring opportunity, and a way to develop a personal bond with a person with whom he may someday have another encounter. It sounded like good policing to me.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

jmra wrote:He left him with this question, "What if I had needed you and your firearm today to save my life?"
Meh, it's Dallas; just jaywalk and there will be a half dozen transit police there faster than any response to an "officer needs help" call.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

KD5NRH wrote:
jmra wrote:He left him with this question, "What if I had needed you and your firearm today to save my life?"
Meh, it's Dallas; just jaywalk and there will be a half dozen transit police there faster than any response to an "officer needs help" call.
LOLZ.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by EEllis »

Vol Texan wrote:
I bet he saw this as a good mentoring opportunity, and a way to develop a personal bond with a person with whom he may someday have another encounter. It sounded like good policing to me.
You bond with someone by lecturing them? Because I don't . Sure it's okay with most here because they might agree but what would be the response if it were an anti gun lecture? Different picture then huh? If the cop was just chatting then no problem. If he was indeed lecturing then I disagree with it. It's a personal choice to carry that he sure as heck shouldn't have to defend just because he got pulled over.

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TVGuy »

EEllis wrote:
Vol Texan wrote:
You bond with someone by lecturing them? Because I don't . Sure it's okay with most here because they might agree but what would be the response if it were an anti gun lecture? Different picture then huh? If the cop was just chatting then no problem. If he was indeed lecturing then I disagree with it. It's a personal choice to carry that he sure as heck shouldn't have to defend just because he got pulled over.

It's not like the nephew was being detained while given a lecture, I think you're taking it too far.

It's also possible that "lecture" wasn't the proper word to be used. To have a cop talk about the importance of the general public in helping them accomplish their mission is not at all a bad thing.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Even if the lecture was negative, he didn't give a ticket which is a win-win once you are pulled over.

Topic author
jmra

Post by jmra »

TVGuy wrote:
EEllis wrote:
Vol Texan wrote:

It's not like the nephew was being detained while given a lecture, I think you're taking it too far.

It's also possible that "lecture" wasn't the proper word to be used. To have a cop talk about the importance of the general public in helping them accomplish their mission is not at all a bad thing.
My nephew had a smile on his face when he used the word lecture so maybe it was more my nephew beating himself up for not carrying than it actually was lecturing by the LEO. Either way it had a positive effect on my nephew and may result in being a life saver for himself or some else in the future.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

trdvet

Post by trdvet »

You know, you're right. All cops shouldn't talk to anyone besides the matter at hand. Side conversations should not be allowed, don't want to think cops and non-cops share a vested interest in public safety or personal protection. Next time I hope that cop "sticks to the facts", writes a citation and goes on his way like a robot.

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

TVGuy wrote: It's not like the nephew was being detained while given a lecture, I think you're taking it too far.

It sounds like he was. I'm supposed to think and respond as if the OP meant something other than he actually said because why? Cop wants to shoot the bull and the other person wants to listen then fine. Cop decides to use a custodial stop to climb on a soapbox, not fine.

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

trdvet wrote:
You know, you're right. All cops shouldn't talk to anyone besides the matter at hand. Side conversations should not be allowed, don't want to think cops and non-cops share a vested interest in public safety or personal protection. Next time I hope that cop "sticks to the facts", writes a citation and goes on his way like a robot.
Never mind that isn't what I said or anything but a distortion for effect, what if the cops vested interests was anti gun?

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

EEllis wrote:
trdvet wrote:
Never mind that isn't what I said or anything but a distortion for effect, what if the cops vested interests was anti gun?
But it wasn't. You can "what if" all day long.

It was a good encounter between a CHL citizen and a cop. Let's not make it out to be something more.

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

EEllis wrote:
trdvet wrote:
I'm sure the cop assumed that, since the gentleman had a CHL, he wasn't anti-gun. Nothing wrong with a little small take amongst two human beings with a common interest.

Topic author
jmra

Post by jmra »

TVGuy wrote:
EEllis wrote:
trdvet wrote:
But it wasn't. You can "what if" all day long.

It was a good encounter between a CHL citizen and a cop. Let's not make it out to be something more.
:iagree:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”