Citizen Police Academy - Worth the Time?

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
AlaskanInTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Citizen Police Academy - Worth the Time?

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

I have been thinking of signing up for my police department's 12-week citizen police academy. I have always been interested in the police department (from afar) and would like to see how they operate and learn more about policy and procedure. It is basically 12 weeks, with a three-hour class held once a week. I'm curious if anyone else has done something like this and whether they found it to be worth the time investment.

I have no intention of becoming a law enforcement officer - this is just for my own personal edification.

LSUTiger

Re: Citizen Police Academy - Worth the Time?

Post by LSUTiger »

Yes, do it. With out a doubt.

I attended the my PD's Citizen's Police Academy, very informative and insightful. I still don't agree with some things police do and get away with but now I have a better understanding of what to expect from them, the "system" and the reasons why.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Absolutely yes! Go and learn.

I had a pretty bad interaction with a couple of officers on serious power trips after an accident. Needless to say that interaction left a VERY bad taste in my mouth for a long time and a very dim view of police in general. My wife, after much coaxing, convinced me to go to the local CPA and I learned A LOT. Not only did I gain a new appreciation for how hard their job is and what they do for the community from the class, I also got to see first hand that they are just people doing a very hard job.

Through the program I've been able to go on a few ride outs with officers as well and the officers I spent time with were all fantastic individuals, which did a lot to raise my view of law enforcement in general and local law enforcement specifically.

Go, if for no other reason than to get to know the department, the work that they do and how you as a citizen can help them.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojo84 »

I think the one I did was worth it. Learned a lot, experienced a different perspective and got to know a lot of the officers I encounter out in the community.
Last edited by mojo84 on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

jamminbutter

Post by jamminbutter »

Be aware that most CPD programs will not allow you to carry while on patrol.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

jamminbutter wrote:Be aware that most CPD programs will not allow you to carry while on patrol.

Citizens on Patrol and Citizens Police Academy are two different things. We are talking about the latter. However, your comment also holds true in regard to some academies.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

My only concern would be this:

If (and I do hope it will never happen) I am ever forced into a situation where I need to use my sidearm to protect myself or my family, would the fact that I attended the CPA be one of the straws that the other side (prosecutor in the criminal trial and/or plaintiff's attorney in the civil trial) chooses to pull on to demonstrate that I had a 'wannabe cop complex"?

I'm not saying it's going to work, nor am I saying it will definitely happen, but I simply don't trust the 'other side' in any court battle. It's a dirty fight, and I'd hate to give them one more piece of ammo to use against me.

I believe that argument was used against Zimmerman - if not in court, then definitely in the court of public opinion.

All that aside...if you do go, it will be a great learning experience, I'm sure.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

I attended the GPPD CPA earlier this year and it was well worth the time. It left me with a greater respect for our local police, not only as officers but as people. Two added bonuses, which I did not know about when I signed up - we spent a morning at their firing range, and a day at their driver training facility. I actually got to drive one of the Tahoes through their course. That alone was worth the time.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

Vol Texan wrote:My only concern would be this:

If (and I do hope it will never happen) I am ever forced into a situation where I need to use my sidearm to protect myself or my family, would the fact that I attended the CPA be one of the straws that the other side (prosecutor in the criminal trial and/or plaintiff's attorney in the civil trial) chooses to pull on to demonstrate that I had a 'wannabe cop complex"?

I'm not saying it's going to work, nor am I saying it will definitely happen, but I simply don't trust the 'other side' in any court battle. It's a dirty fight, and I'd hate to give them one more piece of ammo to use against me.

I believe that argument was used against Zimmerman - if not in court, then definitely in the court of public opinion.

All that aside...if you do go, it will be a great learning experience, I'm sure.
Personally, I would not be concerned about this. When I attended our local CPA, about half of the class was"more senior" than I was, and many of those were women. I know lawyers can say just about anything in court. However, I don't think any reasonable person would consider attending a CPA as evidence of being a "wannabe cop", when several in the class could have been my grandmother (or at least close).
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”