Dove Hunters Held at Gunpoint by MP's

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Animal
Posts in topic: 3

Dove Hunters Held at Gunpoint by MP's

Post by Animal »

http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/local-n ... t_15477637

Apparently these guys were hunting on private property adjacent to Goodfellow AFB and were detained by the MP's. All I can say is WOW!

From Greg Simons FB

I'm disappointed in our local Goodfellow Airforce Base Security for what they did today. On a farm field that we lease that's adjacent to the Base, surrounded b...y a security fence, they swarmed our group of 6 hunters, made them lay on their belly, spread eagle, for almost 30 minutes at gunpoint, two of them on asphalt in almost 100 degree temps and would not let them move, with our hunters pleading with them. One was laying in a red ant bed and they would not let him move. Our local police officers arrived and sorted matters out, assuring the Airforce security that all was okay. Airforce security visited with these same hunters earlier today telling them that all was good, asking who they (security) should contact to get permission to hunt the property. What's even more amazing is that our local television news was there and minutes earlier had finished filming an interview on the importance of hunting to our local economy. Appears they may have also filmed this very unfortunate event. Seems to me that Goodfellow should provide a formal apology to some folks. I'm thankful to our local police department for intervening and providing some relief to this matter.

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Dove Hunters Held at Gunpoint by MP's

Post by Taypo »

Animal wrote:http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/local-n ... t_15477637

Apparently these guys were hunting on private property adjacent to Goodfellow AFB and were detained by the MP's. All I can say is WOW!

From Greg Simons FB

I'm disappointed in our local Goodfellow Airforce Base Security for what they did today. On a farm field that we lease that's adjacent to the Base, surrounded b...y a security fence, they swarmed our group of 6 hunters, made them lay on their belly, spread eagle, for almost 30 minutes at gunpoint, two of them on asphalt in almost 100 degree temps and would not let them move, with our hunters pleading with them. One was laying in a red ant bed and they would not let him move. Our local police officers arrived and sorted matters out, assuring the Airforce security that all was okay. Airforce security visited with these same hunters earlier today telling them that all was good, asking who they (security) should contact to get permission to hunt the property. What's even more amazing is that our local television news was there and minutes earlier had finished filming an interview on the importance of hunting to our local economy. Appears they may have also filmed this very unfortunate event. Seems to me that Goodfellow should provide a formal apology to some folks. I'm thankful to our local police department for intervening and providing some relief to this matter.
I'm going to assume that Goodfellow hasn't changed mission in the last few years and say that there is some fairly sensitive stuff that happens there. As a result, their SP staff has always been a little quick to make judgements. Not that I'm excusing this, but it may provide some background.

I once watched a half naked Captain and a Lieutenant get frog marched out of a facility there for choosing the wrong door to open for some extra curricular activity.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cb1000rider »

"SAPD officers arrived 20-30 minutes later and reminded the security forces the land was on private property and out of GAFB jurisdiction, Simons said."

"“There’s no reason for confusion on where Goodfellow property ends and private property begins,” Simons said."

Sounds like someone was bored...

MONGOOSE
Banned

Post by MONGOOSE »

I've grown up around Ft. Bliss and adjacent ranges....we know where we are. They would have left in body bags. Last time I checked, the military issued weapons but no ammunition......been a few years though.

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Taypo »

MONGOOSE wrote:I've grown up around Ft. Bliss and adjacent ranges....we know where we are. They would have left in body bags. Last time I checked, the military issued weapons but no ammunition......been a few years though.
Goodfellow SP's always had live ammo while I was around. As evidenced by the holes in the ceiling above the gun rack in the chow hall.

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

If they really made one of them continue to lay on an ant bed. Make all the MPs that were present lay on ant beds for the same length of time. Or make them run the perimeter of the base property barefoot a number of times equal to the number of minutes they detained the hunters. Trust me they'll remember where the property line is after that. Hell give the MPs the choice between the two. Then call the matter done.
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
Animal

Post by Animal »

If they really made one of them continue to lay on an ant bed. Make all the MPs that were present lay on ant beds for the same length of time. Or make them run the perimeter of the base property barefoot a number of times equal to the number of minutes they detained the hunters. Trust me they'll remember where the property line is after that. heck give the MPs the choice between the two. Then call the matter done.
That doesn't cut it for me.....turn it around and say the hunters climbed the fence and started shooting doves ON the base. How do you think it would go for them? Seems like a double standard to me.

Also, if you and I rolled up on someone and held them at gunpoint, with no authority to do so, what all charges would be filed? Surely assault with a deadly weapon at the least......

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Id suggest we have but one side of a three sided story.

Was there an Aircraft flying by when these hunters were shooting up in the air at "Dove""
Were there stray pellets landing inside AF property or worse, onto or against AF aircraft, buildings, vehicles, personnel?
Was there a report of nefarious activity? Threats of same?

The SP's had a reason, and it was not boredom. We may not agree with the reason (whatever it was), but two things. It's unlikely they did not know the property in question was / was not Air Force property. And two... they had what they believed, or were told was justifiable reason to do so.
Now for the rest of the story which we may, or may not ever get.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Some of the stuff I am seeing is astonishing. What in the world is going on and why are people getting away with such?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

rmr24

Post by rmr24 »

I don't think Goodfellow AFB has any active runways, they do have an interesting looking train wreck, among other things.

Weg

Post by Weg »

Dang, I miss the good old days. We used to be able to check in at the gate of Fort Hunter Liggett in California and camp and hunt on the base all weekend. It sucked when they were doing night firing though, those guns were loud.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

E.Marquez wrote:Id suggest we have but one side of a three sided story.

Was there an Aircraft flying by when these hunters were shooting up in the air at "Dove""
Were there stray pellets landing inside AF property or worse, onto or against AF aircraft, buildings, vehicles, personnel?

The SP's had a reason, and it was not boredom. We may not agree with the reason (whatever it was), but two things. It's unlikely they did not know the property in question was / was not Air Force property. And two... they had what they believed, or were told was justifiable reason to do so.
Three sides. Boy! There's lots of conjecture to consider there, but it doesn't excuse making people lie face down in dirt and asphalt in this weather after they are disarmed. We don't know the whole story but I would bet if they were shooting at buildings or worse as you theorized they wouldn't have been let go. They were on private land according to what I read not AFB property.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

E.Marquez wrote:Id suggest we have but one side of a three sided story.

Do you believe they would have been sent on their way with no further action or charges if they were shooting at military aircraft, vehicles or hitting buildings or vehicles? I also don't think the mere fact shot may have landed on military property justifies the treatment the hunters received.

I understand your comment about there being three sides as there usually is the two parties versions and the truth is usually somewhere in between. However, speculating they were shooting at aircraft or other equipment without being arrested or charged is a mere strawman argument. Also, military cops are not above reproach and they also aren't above pushing their authority at times. I have a cousin that was an MP and he tells some real dingers about doing just such.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

Animal wrote:
If they really made one of them continue to lay on an ant bed. Make all the MPs that were present lay on ant beds for the same length of time. Or make them run the perimeter of the base property barefoot a number of times equal to the number of minutes they detained the hunters. Trust me they'll remember where the property line is after that. heck give the MPs the choice between the two. Then call the matter done.
That doesn't cut it for me.....turn it around and say the hunters climbed the fence and started shooting doves ON the base. How do you think it would go for them? Seems like a double standard to me.

Also, if you and I rolled up on someone and held them at gunpoint, with no authority to do so, what all charges would be filed? Surely assault with a deadly weapon at the least......

are you really saying that you are ok with them making someone lay on a fire ant bed for 30 mins? I know several people who would be in the the hospital after 2 mins, and I'd be helping them sue the pants of the security dudes! I wouldn't be surprised if the ones lying on the asphalt don't have burns. geez!

these men had already talked to AF security, there was no reason for this, it's most likely a lack of communication between shifts.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

They should have called the police or sheriff since they were not on the base's property and on private land if there was a real problem. AFAIK, an MP has no authority over a civilian on private property and they should be charged with whatever I would be charged with if I'd done the same thing to someone else on their own property.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”