Cop Arrested Coach over cuss word.

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Deltaboy
Posts in topic: 3

Cop Arrested Coach over cuss word.

Post by Deltaboy »

http://www.star-telegram.com/opinion/op ... 42883.html
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/09/22/i-te ... nst-coach/

Off duty cop tells a coach not to cuss at a game. Burleson PD showed up talked a bit and left. Time passes and the Alvarado officer files charges against her . She is arrested bailed out and the County DA dismissed the case.

How Alvarado PD is defending this guy with a straight face is beyond me.
:banghead:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Cop Arrested Coach over cuss word.

Post by Abraham »

Does Forum Rule No. 1 say it's ok to use abbreviated profanity if it's in a proper context?

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Remember this:

Re: Abbreviated profanity
I guess some people thought we were kidding. Perhaps I should add that multiple offenses will result in taking a 30-day vacation.

Chas.

cowboymd
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cowboymd »

Went from 6 to 2 just like that. :rules:
TSRA Member
NRA Life Member

Countryside
Banned

Post by Countryside »

My apologies. I'll get all these rules down eventually. Meant no harm. I repent. :cryin

Topic author
Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

She called an official bad name , Burleson PD shook their heads and left. The officer should have dropped it.

Glockedandlocked

Post by Glockedandlocked »

Under PC 42.01 it could be charged as Disorderly Conduct, a class C misdemeanor or if pushed could be terroristic threat or assault depending on what was said and how.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Just from reading through the stories, it looks like crimes were committed, but the perp was the police captain, not the coach. He grabbed her arm, and then filed charges for something that the DA later determined to not have been an offense.

IMHO, if these stories are true, then at a minimum this guy should be banned from attending any of his kids sporting events and should never again work in law enforcement. I know that if I grab the arm of an opposing coach at my daughters soccer game, I will not be allowed at her future games.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I used to do sideline photography at high school football games. At many games there would be at least one instance of a coach bellowing in a player's face, with airborne spittle, and just about everything to qualify as verbal assault. I never heard serious cussing, but there were often words not welcome here.

The officer's actions and the Police Department's Facebook embarrassment sound unjustifiable - but there may have been a wee bit of mud on the other side of the fence, too.

I never said anything about the student abuse I and everyone in the stands continually witnessed because coaches ride so high. I would have gotten nowhere but unwelcomed from the games.

High school sports are great. Wish they were more diverse, though. Maybe when high school physics is as well funded as high school football, I'll become a gridiron fan. :lol:

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

treadlightly wrote:I used to do sideline photography at high school football games. At many games there would be at least one instance of a coach bellowing in a player's face, with airborne spittle, and just about everything to qualify as verbal assault. I never heard serious cussing, but there were often words not welcome here.

The officer's actions and the Police Department's Facebook embarrassment sound unjustifiable - but there may have been a wee bit of mud on the other side of the fence, too.

I never said anything about the student abuse I and everyone in the stands continually witnessed because coaches ride so high. I would have gotten nowhere but unwelcomed from the games.

High school sports are great. Wish they were more diverse, though. Maybe when high school physics is as well funded as high school football, I'll become a gridiron fan. :lol:
Oh I'm certain that there was a lot of mud on the other side. Passions run extremely high at kids sporting events.

When I lived in Seattle, I was the coach for my daughters under 7 co-ed soccer team. The players on the other team were getting a bit physical. Parents started getting in each other's face, and I decided to pull my team off the field at half time for fear of a full on brawl on the sidelines. And that was 6 and 7 year old kids soccer, in Seattle.

I was also recently challenged to a fist fight (for the first time in 20+ years) at my daughters soccer game (she is now 15). A girl on the opposing team shoved her, and I used the word "thug" when complaining to my wife. Unfortunately, that girls mom and her mom's boyfriend were within ear shot. I was at fault and I apologized.

I don't fault the police captain for getting upset at the game. I have done it myself. I do fault him for putting his hand on the coach, and I definitely fault him for using his public office in an apparent vendetta against the coach. He was not at the game in an official capacity. If he had an issue he should have addressed it with the official, or better yet, let his teams' coach handle it. It is never appropriate for a parent to confront the opposing team's coach.

In this case, it appears that the parent called the police, and that the police responding determined it was a non-issue. It should have ended there. IMHO, unless something is missing from the stories linked, this guy does not belong anywhere near his kids sporting events, and he does not deserve a badge.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

When I'm attending a school event, a game etc. I absolutely do not want my kids to hear profane comments tossed around.
Little law and order shock I guess, now that we've lived under this regime where criminality was downright tolerated / encouraged.

Topic author
Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Well it seemed to have all blown over.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

parabelum wrote:When I'm attending a school event, a game etc. I absolutely do not want my kids to hear profane comments tossed around.
Little law and order shock I guess, now that we've lived under this regime where criminality was downright tolerated / encouraged.
We are in agreement on not wanting our kids to hear profanity. It is tough to accomplish that nowadays with profanity all over the TV and radio. It sucks that we can't at least keep them free from profanity at a school event.

I also don't want my kids to see a man grab a woman and think that is a proper response to the use of profanity. Last night I took my 3 kids to the grocery store. A pedestrian right behind us got upset with the driver of a car (apparently the driver did not yield, but I didn't see it). There was a lot of profanity being thrown back and forth and yet it never even occurred to me that I should grab either person by the arm, or call the police about the profanity.

Bottom line - the police chief here was out of line. If there was any "criminality" it was on the part of this LEO. And it was definitely tolerated / encouraged. I agree that he could definitely use a little law and order shock.

Unocat
Banned

Post by Unocat »

She should just file a civil lawsuit if she feels the LEO and department over reached. Account for her embarrassment, painful arm, and loss of time/money dealing with it. She'll likely wind up with enough to buy a new car or maybe a nice vacation out of it.
NRA lifetime member
Combat Veteran
"carthago delenda est"

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

Unocat wrote:She should just file a civil lawsuit if she feels the LEO and department over reached. Account for her embarrassment, painful arm, and loss of time/money dealing with it. She'll likely wind up with enough to buy a new car or maybe a nice vacation out of it.
only if the city the cop works for says its ok to sue us, but no were not going to let you do that. you have no recourse if the city says no

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”