Undercover Arlington officer mistaken for thief, shot multiple times

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Undercover Arlington officer mistaken for thief, shot multiple times

Post by JALLEN »

What would Joe Horn do?
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pariah3j »

JALLEN wrote:What would Joe Horn do?

Too soon.... "rlol"
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

WTR wrote:I would not have believed his lame excuse of dropping something. I would not have shot him, but I would have held him for uniformed Police Officers
Maybe he reached towards his waistline in a furtive manner.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oohrah »

Reading this morning that the undercover was immigration enforcement, the shooter has a Hispanic surname. After talking to the undercover, the shooter opened fire. Ther is a whole lot more to this story not out yet. (Source DMN)
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

treadlightly wrote:A friend of a friend is an Arlington officer. He's got his concerns and his job to do, but he's also got a wonderful, protective attitude about all civil rights. He wants to defend civil order in all respects, including the right to keep and bear.

This is a TV news story, which means there is reason to verify from a second source. If the story is accurate and the shooter felt safe enough to ask the officer what he was doing, it sounds like the shooter could have gotten away. He wouldn't have been in fear of his life.

If the police officer was in the process of putting something external on the car, I don't see how that would rise to the level of deadly force. He was already stopped from stealing anything, if that's what it looked like.

The law should allow for deadly force to protect property, but I don't think a suspicious guy still on the outside of a parked car, particularly one engaged in dialog, justifies anything harsher than "Get the heck off my property."

That's my polite take on the matter. In truth, if the story is completely and factually presented, I think it's a story of attempted murder.
it sounds like the shooter could have gotten away
You do not have a “duty to retreat”.

I believe I would have handled it differently. I would have had him put his hands on the trunk then called 911 and waited for uniformed officers to arrive.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

couzin

Post by couzin »

Given the additional information about the warrant search of the shooter's home (meth), I have to go with half a bubble off level...
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

couzin wrote:Given the additional information about the warrant search of the shooter's home (meth), I have to go with half a bubble off level...
The shooter was the neighbor of the object of the car locator. Is there now a warrant for the shooter's residence or car?

"Cisneros" is yet another neighbor who heard shots, went outside and encountered the wounded officer.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”