Farmer's Branch PD - Good

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
grumble
Posts in topic: 2

Farmer's Branch PD - Good

Post by grumble »

Normally I cruise to work to be in the office by 7:00 a.m. This morning I was running a few minutes behind and was driving down Webb Chapel headed south towards 635. Now my normal routine has me passing all of the school zones before they become active. This morning, not so much...

Took off from a red light and accelerated, looked up and saw the officer sitting in the oncoming turn lane, looked at my clock and then saw the flashing yellow school zone sign (I just spaced it after I came to the light). Crap.

Of course, he pulls me over. Stop was as smooth as glass. The officer was polite and courteous. He asked for my license and insurance. I handed him my license and flipped my wallet over to hand him my CHL - telling him that I was getting it for him. He then said "I'll pull your insurance info from your license and no need to take out your CHL. Are there weapons in the car?" I answered yes sir, in the center console. He said "Thanks, I'll be right back." In under a minute he was back at my window and handed me my license and told me to "please slow down and enjoy your day." No citation, even though I totally deserved one.

It never hurts to be polite...
Who are my congressmen again? http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Farmer's Branch PD - Good

Post by Keith B »

Man, you're lucky; School zones are usually a guaranteed ticket with a big fine! :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Keith B wrote:Man, you're lucky; School zones are usually a guaranteed ticket with a big fine! :thumbs2:
You're right Keith. He lucked out. I always thought exceeding school zones speed limits was big time fines, but I was on a jury in Clear Lake JP court deciding the fate of a school zone speeder and the judge said the fine was between $1 and $150 for a guilty verdict and handed us the statute. The speeder represented himself with an idiotic defense ( he said the school zone flashing lights go off all hours of the night and day- he was driving during school hours) He was found guilty. A couple of people wanted to fine him $1. :headscratch I was the foremen so we voted and I told them majority ruled for the sentencing phase. :thumbs2: I assume there were court costs and administrative fees but we weren't privy. I thought the fines were statutorily set and were much higher for school zones.

grumble you were lucky the officer cut you a break. We have a school zone that begins just on the far side of a double four lane intersection and if you're not familiar with it it's very easy to miss it, especially if there's a large vehicle obstructing the view. I have mentioned it a time or two to some LEO's as well as the fact they reduce the speed from 45 to 20 mph. As I recall the max reduction is 20 MPH if the normal speed if over 35MPH.
Last edited by puma guy on Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Keith B wrote:Man, you're lucky; School zones are usually a guaranteed ticket with a big fine! :thumbs2:
Boy did we ever write tickets in school zones. We would work the same zones daily for weeks and in one hour write a minimum of 5 tickets. Usually more. People with their heads inserted in their anus. :coolgleamA:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

puma guy wrote:
You're right Keith. He lucked out. I always thought exceeding school zones speed limits was big time fines, but I was on a jury in Clear Lake JP court deciding the fate of a school zone speeder and the judge said the fine was between $1 and $150 for a guilty verdict and handed us the statute. The speeder represented himself with an idiotic defense ( he said the school zone flashing lights go off all hours of the night and day- he was driving during school hours) He was found guilty. A couple of people wanted to fine him $1. :headscratch I was the foremen so we voted and I told them majority ruled for the sentencing phase. :thumbs2: I assume there were court costs and administrative fees but we weren't privy. I thought the fines were statutorily set and were much higher for school zones.
I believe it depends on the the jurisdiction - I have heard in some places it basically doubles the fine... However, I've never been given a speeding ticket in a school zone so I can't confirm that...
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
grumble

Post by grumble »

At this particular school zone, there are 2 stop lights after the school zone begins. When I hit the school zone, it was not yet active (it was like EXACTLY 7:00). When I accelerated from the 2nd stop light after it had turned green, the school zone had become active - and yes, I could see the yellow flashing light at the end of the school zone 1 block ahead, but it just didn't register in my head. I believe that fact (that the yellow light wasn't flashing when I entered the zone) contributed to the officer's decision.

I lucked out, and fully expected to pay heavily. I have no defense. I should have been ticketed.

Maybe the fact that I made the officer completely comfortable, and also the fact that I said "I'm sorry" helped the cause. He was a good dude and I sincerely do appreciate the favor.
Who are my congressmen again? http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

A lady I know was coming out of a school zone and when her car's front end reached the "end of school zone" sign she began to speed up. A motorcycle Policeman pulled her over and issued her a citation. He told her the back bumper needed tp clear the zone before she sped up to the posted speed. Talk about mad as a wet hen!

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

WTR wrote:A lady I know was coming out of a school zone and when her car's front end reached the "end of school zone" sign she began to speed up. A motorcycle Policeman pulled her over and issued her a citation. He told her the back bumper needed tp clear the zone before she sped up to the posted speed. Talk about mad as a wet hen!
A valid defense would be that when your front bumper breaks the plane of the intersection before the light turns red, you have not run a red light. If she went to court with that she might have gotten it tossed.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”