Seatbelt Ticket

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
atx2a
Posts in topic: 1

Seatbelt Ticket

Post by atx2a »

Got a ticket today for not wearing my seatbelt. My fault, I know. :banghead:

But, wanted to brag on the Austin Police officer who pulled me over. I rolled down all the windows, hands on wheel, and had my license and LTC out and ready for him. 9mm on my hip. I handed him both licenses, and he immediately handed back the LTC, without even questioning whether or not I was armed.

He was kind, professional, and non-confrontational. The entire stop lasted probably 3 minutes.

That's the way it's supposed to go! :thumbs2:
Austin, TX
Speak softly and have a helluva double tap.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Seatbelt Ticket

Post by WildBill »

atx2a wrote:Got a ticket today for not wearing my seatbelt. My fault, I know. :banghead:

But, wanted to brag on the Austin Police officer who pulled me over. I rolled down all the windows, hands on wheel, and had my license and LTC out and ready for him. 9mm on my hip. I handed him both licenses, and he immediately handed back the LTC, without even questioning whether or not I was armed.

He was kind, professional, and non-confrontational. The entire stop lasted probably 3 minutes.

:iagree: Buckle Up! :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

atx2a wrote:Got a ticket today for not wearing my seatbelt. My fault, I know. :banghead:

LTC holder not wearing his seatbelt? Why, he should have pulled you from your car, tasered you, performed a cavity search and berated you on social media. :biggrinjester:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

TresHuevos

Post by TresHuevos »

I always wear my seatbelt and insist that those riding in my truck do the same but it makes me chuckle that I can open my garage and take off on a motorcycle without a helmet and that act is completely within the law.
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic deeds." - C.S. Lewis
My State Rep Joe Moody is a liberal puke who won't even acknowledge my communications with him. How about yours?

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

TresHuevos wrote:I always wear my seatbelt and insist that those riding in my truck do the same but it makes me chuckle that I can open my garage and take off on a motorcycle without a helmet and that act is completely within the law.
:iagree:

Seatbelt tickets are about revenue and fishing expeditions.

To the OP...sounds like a great encounter.

-Steve
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WTR »

I can't fathom not wearing a seat belt in a vehicle. We seem to have people ejected and rolled over by their vehicles on a weekly basis.. Seat belts do save lives. What is worse, are all the kids running around and standing up with no car seat in the car......human projectiles.
Last edited by WTR on Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

steveincowtown wrote:
TresHuevos wrote:I always wear my seatbelt and insist that those riding in my truck do the same but it makes me chuckle that I can open my garage and take off on a motorcycle without a helmet and that act is completely within the law.
:iagree:

Seatbelt tickets are about revenue and fishing expeditions.

To the OP...sounds like a great encounter.

-Steve
This morning I was following a pickup truck that had four men in the bed.
Two were sitting on the top of the tool chest and could have easily fallen out.
I was wondering if they would get pulled over.
NRA Endowment Member

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

I believe in and always wear seat belts. Back in the mid 80's I was hit head on by a drunk. Fortunately we were in a one ton crew cab truck, and all wearing seat belts.
I am not a fan of air bags, but am of seat belts

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

I always comment about the seatbelt law being the beginning of the nanny state...lol. I wear one and always have for the most part but...

...it was the first law that basically protected you from yourself. Before that, laws were to protect society from you...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WTR »

RogueUSMC wrote:I always comment about the seatbelt law being the beginning of the nanny state...lol. I wear one and always have for the most part but...

...it was the first law that basically protected you from yourself. Before that, laws were to protect society from you...
As many of these people that are taken to the County hospital and treated on our dime......it is protecting us.

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

RogueUSMC wrote:I always comment about the seatbelt law being the beginning of the nanny state...lol. I wear one and always have for the most part but...

Maybe the seatbelt law saves society a huge amount of money after you become a vegetative state after an accident when you are not wearing a seatbelt. I really would have no problem with people not wearing a seatbelt or a helmet if biking as long as they and only they paid their medical bills and society didn't get stuck with the bills. So is it a nanny state beginning or a cost saver for society? Incidentally, seatbelts do save lives.
Why are we so hung up though on confessing our sins and telling about all of these wonderful LEO encounters? I personally don't remember such friendly stops in my youth in California where I could swear the cops were former Gestapo agents. It was California though.

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Just for those that may not know.. Actually wearing a helmet is required by law, what you are referencing is an exception to the law, for which one must qualify for ..and be ready to prove should you get stopped for some other infraction.

Sec. 661.003. OFFENSES RELATING TO NOT WEARING PROTECTIVE HEADGEAR. (a) A person commits an offense if the person:
(1) operates or rides as a passenger on a motorcycle on a public street or highway; and
(2) is not wearing protective headgear that meets safety standards adopted by the department.
(b) A person commits an offense if the person carries on a motorcycle on a public street or highway a passenger who is not wearing protective headgear that meets safety standards adopted by the department.
(c) It is an exception to the application of Subsection (a) or (b) that at the time the offense was committed, the person required to wear protective headgear was at least 21 years old and had successfully completed a motorcycle operator training and safety course under Chapter 662 or was covered by a health insurance plan providing the person with medical benefits for injuries incurred as a result of an accident while operating or riding on a motorcycle. A peace officer may not arrest a person or issue a citation to a person for a violation of Subsection (a) or (b) if the person required to wear protective headgear is at least 21 years of age and presents evidence sufficient to show that the person required to wear protective headgear has successfully completed a motorcycle operator training and safety course or is covered by a health insurance plan as described by this subsection.
(c-1) A peace officer may not stop or detain a person who is the operator of or a passenger on a motorcycle for the sole purpose of determining whether the person has successfully completed the motorcycle operator training and safety course or is covered by a health insurance plan.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

rotor wrote:

Maybe the seatbelt law saves society a huge amount of money after you become a vegetative state after an accident when you are not wearing a seatbelt. I really would have no problem with people not wearing a seatbelt or a helmet if biking as long as they and only they paid their medical bills and society didn't get stuck with the bills. So is it a nanny state beginning or a cost saver for society? Incidentally, seatbelts do save lives.
Why are we so hung up though on confessing our sins and telling about all of these wonderful LEO encounters? I personally don't remember such friendly stops in my youth in California where I could swear the cops were former Gestapo agents. It was California though.
I wear a seat belt religiously, but wouldnt be a burden on soceity if the unthinkable happened. I have health insurance.

Using that logic, anyone who chooses not to carry health insurance is a burden to society and the government needs to regulate being over weight, drinking, smoking, skydiving, being a private pilot, etc.

I don't need big brother telling me what to do. I have it covered.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

steveincowtown wrote:
rotor wrote:

I wear a seat belt religiously, but wouldnt be a burden on soceity if the unthinkable happened. I have health insurance.

Using that logic, anyone who chooses not to carry health insurance is a burden to society and the government needs to regulate being over weight, drinking, smoking, skydiving, being a private pilot, etc.

I don't need big brother telling me what to do. I have it covered.
You have my philosophy wrong sir. I am not suggesting that big brother tell you what to do. I am suggesting that I don't want to pay for your mishaps. I don't care if anyone wants to pursue "risky" behavior as long as they pay for any bad outcomes and the money doesn't come from me or mine. The problem with health insurance is that if you use it a lot it raises my rates too. There is always cash though.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

I, for one, was much happier with the way it was before the seat belt laws were passed. The federal government does not have the authority to pass a national seat belt law, but they forced it into existence by threatening to withhold funds from states - funds that they'd already taken from the states.

Are seat belts a good idea? Sure, and I wear mine more often than not. But laws that the federal government cannot pass, but gets passed anyway by forcing it down the states' (and our) throats are, by definition, a bad thing. The ends does not justify the means.

Just like Obamacare...
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”