LEO vs Storm Trooper

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Wildscar
Posts in topic: 1

LEO vs Storm Trooper

Post by Wildscar »

Heres one to show that even if its fake its needs to stay covered up. granted it was over in Australia but it could easily happen here.

================================================
A MAN carrying a fake gun to pose for a Star Wars 30th anniversary photo shoot found himself facing the law instead of Darth Vader.

The 32-year-old Melbourne man, dressed all in black, left a replica handgun sticking out of his backpack, alarming a patron at Southbank's food court yesterday.

And it wasn't long until the force was with him.

The patron notified management and security staff followed the man and monitored him on security cameras for several minutes until he made his way outside.

He was arrested at the corner of City Rd and Southgate Ave.

The man, on his way to pose for photos for the MX commuter newspaper, sat stunned on the ground after being handcuffed by police.

His bag was searched and the fake gun found as well as a Star Wars suit.

He was taken to the St Kilda Rd Police Complex for questioning.

Police will charge the man on summons for possessing an unregistered firearm, despite it being a replica.

Sen-Constable Daniel Sage said police had to act quickly.

"A male was carrying what appeared to be a firearm protruding from his bag," he said.

"It was a replica gun. We weren't sure what we were dealing with."

The general manager of Southgate arts and leisure precinct, Andrew Hughes, said it was reported the man had a machinegun.

"He was probably here a good 10 minutes," he said. "He proceeded into one of our public toilets and from there he walked out of the building down towards City Rd.

"He was sitting in the food court. We have procedures in place for this sort of thing.

"Our security kept their distance and followed him."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 62,00.html

================================================
Also when I read this story I couldn't get this image out of my head. :smilelol5:
PIC NOT FROM STORY(but funny none the less)
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

Will938
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Will938 »

"Police will charge the man on summons for possessing an unregistered firearm, despite it being a replica."

Ridiculous, the majority of Australians are literally terrified by the sight of anything resembling a gun.

Hoppes
Posts in topic: 6

People have a false fear of guns in many locales

Post by Hoppes »

Will938 wrote:"Police will charge the man on summons for possessing an unregistered firearm, despite it being a replica."

Ridiculous, the majority of Australians are literally terrified by the sight of anything resembling a gun.
My family and I were in Amarillo this past week. On Saturday night, there was a big Harry Potter party going on in the Barnes and Noble store we visited around 9:30 PM. People of different ages were wearing all sorts of costumes.

We saw at least a half dozen versions of Harry Potter himself and the Chick-fil-A Holstein cow walking around inside the store. While I don't have anything against Harry Potter, I am not all for it either. In my opinion these Harry Potter books encourage fantasy to our younger people.

One young fellow, about 12, saw me carrying around a book I was going to buy. It was a Gun Digest Book authored by Massad Ayoob, owner of Lethal Force Institute, entitled "Combat Handgunnery". there were ilustrations of handguns on the front and back cover of the paperback book. When the 12 year old saw the book with the handgun illustrations, he freaked out. I told him he should read about guns and learn about them because Harry Potter was not going to be able to protect him in real life.

J.K. Rowling is trying to create a "Star Wars" hero in Harry Potter and it is not based upon reality. It scares me that our younger generation mongers after such fantasy. It (the book) is also being heavily used in grade schools.

H :???: PPES
---
The best test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do. - Eric Hoffer
---

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I dunno...I'd probably feel pretty stupid if I was an Australian law Enforcement office after this story...

I haven't been to Australia in years, but does anyone know if they still "sell" novelty "toy" guns anywhere in that vast wasteland of common sense anymore...

And if they do, when you buy a "fake" gun, do you have to register it, or have a waiting period while they contact the Constables office to make sure its ok, to sell this "fake" gun???

:roll: (I wish I could super-size this emoticon)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Hoppes

Post by Hoppes »

stevie_d_64 wrote:I dunno...I'd probably feel pretty stupid if I was an Australian law Enforcement office after this story...

I haven't been to Australia in years, but does anyone know if they still "sell" novelty "toy" guns anywhere in that vast wasteland of common sense anymore...

And if they do, when you buy a "fake" gun, do you have to register it, or have a waiting period while they contact the Constables office to make sure its ok, to sell this "fake" gun???

:roll: (I wish I could super-size this emoticon)
What about buying caps for it? Recon there is a waiting period?

Hoppes
---
The best test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do. - Eric Hoffer
---

Will938

Re: People have a false fear of guns in many locales

Post by Will938 »

Hoppes wrote:
Will938 wrote:

One young fellow, about 12, saw me carrying around a book I was going to buy. It was a Gun Digest Book authored by Massad Ayoob, owner of Lethal Force Institute, entitled "Combat Handgunnery". there were ilustrations of handguns on the front and back cover of the paperback book. When the 12 year old saw the book with the handgun illustrations, he freaked out. I told him he should read about guns and learn about them because Harry Potter was not going to be able to protect him in real life.

I remember when I was a kid a gun visible in public made me very nervous as well. Not on a book, but on a cop's side. Plain clothed was even worse. Now a days I look to see what they carry, doesn't bother me at all. I don't think the Aussies advanced out of that mindset.

Hoppes

Post by Hoppes »

Will938 wrote:
Hoppes wrote:
Will938 wrote:

I remember when I was a kid a gun visible in public made me very nervous as well. Not on a book, but on a cop's side. Plain clothed was even worse. Now a days I look to see what they carry, doesn't bother me at all. I don't think the Aussies advanced out of that mindset.
IMO, many people across the world have been educated out of the mindset that guns are useful tools for a lot of reasons. Many kids are now told that guns are just "bad". The story told is often monocular or one-sided. History is often edited to insure that only "socially acceptable" information is passed on. I don't know of too many things today that doesn't have a spin on it in some way. I don't like the bad, but I want to hear it so I'll have an idea of what I need to do to help me be a good change agent to debunk bad information. People and businesses make bad decisions in this world because of an incomplete flow of information. More relevant information = better decisions.

I was never scared of guns because my dad taught me about them and how to respect them. I never had an urge to go pick up his hand guns because he extinguished my curiosity with instruction on them. I thank him for that today. He could have just told me, "Guns are bad. Never pick one up." Instead, he taught me how they were good and bad at the appropriate time of my life.

I remember the best Christmas present I ever received - a Ted Williams Single Shot .410 Caliber Shotgun. I spent many weekends with my dad, brother, and friends hunting dove, quail and squirrel. A kid remembers fellowship for life. Much longer than giving someone a CD or DVD today. Will they remember a CD or DVD twenty years late? Probably not.

HOPPES
---
---

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Hoppes wrote:
Will938 wrote:
Hoppes wrote:
Will938 wrote:

IMO, many people across the world have been educated out of the mindset that guns are useful tools for a lot of reasons. Many kids are now told that guns are just "bad". The story told is often monocular or one-sided. History is often edited to insure that only "socially acceptable" information is passed on. I don't know of too many things today that doesn't have a spin on it in some way. I don't like the bad, but I want to hear it so I'll have an idea of what I need to do to help me be a good change agent to debunk bad information. People and businesses make bad decisions in this world because of an incomplete flow of information. More relevant information = better decisions.

I was never scared of guns because my dad taught me about them and how to respect them. I never had an urge to go pick up his hand guns because he extinguished my curiosity with instruction on them. I thank him for that today. He could have just told me, "Guns are bad. Never pick one up." Instead, he taught me how they were good and bad at the appropriate time of my life.

I remember the best Christmas present I ever received - a Ted Williams Single Shot .410 Caliber Shotgun. I spent many weekends with my dad, brother, and friends hunting dove, quail and squirrel. A kid remembers fellowship for life. Much longer than giving someone a CD or DVD today. Will they remember a CD or DVD twenty years late? Probably not.

HOPPES

Not many folks know that the ".410" is actually designated "caliber" and not "gauge" as with other shotgun rounds. Apparently, you do!

Good on ya. :smile:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Hoppes

Post by Hoppes »

flintknapper wrote:
Hoppes wrote:
Will938 wrote:
Hoppes wrote:
Will938 wrote:
I don't think the Aussies advanced out of that mindset.

HOPPES
Not many folks know that the ".410" is actually designated "caliber" and not "gauge" as with other shotgun rounds. Apparently, you do!

The .410 is the only shotgun in a caliber versus a gauge. Yes, many people don't know this. If you go to Bass Pro or Cabelas, etc. and look for .410 stuff, you will see it frequently labeled as .410 gauge and that is not correct. It is a caliber just like you mention.

This is the kind of information that gets changed in history without any challenge. I suppose most of us know that old saying, "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth." Although not intended as a lie, in another 50 years, the .410 might be referred to exclusively as a gauge without prejudice.

Let me explain that to those that might have forgotten:

With a 12 gauge, you can make 12 equal diameter lead balls, to the gun barrel, out of 1 pound of lead.

With a 20 gauge, you could make 20 equal diameter lead balls to the gun barrel, out of one pound of lead.

This goes on for the other larger and smaller gauges of shotguns. I think the largest is a 4 gauge.

People used to buy lead by the pound and that was the unit of measure so you would know how many bullets or pellets you could cast. At several times, lead seemed to be more valuable than gold and other precious metals because the early settler's life depended on lead to stay alive.

The .410 Caliber Shotgun is measured by the barrel's bore, not the number of equal diameter lead balls to the gun barrel, out of one pound of lead. So technically, the .410 shotgun is a caliber and not a gauge.

Thanks for the nice comment Flint Napper. I know what a napper is too. My grandmother on my dad's side of the family was native American Indian.

We have a lot of Indian history found right on our property here in Texas and up in Arkansas. I've got boxes of original napped flints and chert I have found over the years.

Hoppes
---
---

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Hoppes wrote:The .410 is the only shotgun in a caliber versus a gauge. Yes, many people don't know this. If you go to Bass Pro or Cabelas, etc. and look for .410 stuff, you will see it frequently labeled as .410 gauge and that is not correct. It is a caliber just like you mention.

This is the kind of information that gets changed in history without any challenge. I suppose most of us know that old saying, "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth." Although not intended as a lie, in another 50 years, the .410 might be referred to exclusively as a gauge without prejudice.
Like we have lost the true meaning of the word caliber? I wonder how many people remember that caliber is actually a measurement of 1/100th of an inch. Thus, truly a 45 caliber pistol and not the way we have all written it .45 caliber, which would be very small.
Steve Rothstein

Hoppes

Post by Hoppes »

srothstein wrote:
Hoppes wrote:The .410 is the only shotgun in a caliber versus a gauge. Yes, many people don't know this. If you go to Bass Pro or Cabelas, etc. and look for .410 stuff, you will see it frequently labeled as .410 gauge and that is not correct. It is a caliber just like you mention.

Like we have lost the true meaning of the word caliber? I wonder how many people remember that caliber is actually a measurement of 1/100th of an inch. Thus, truly a 45 caliber pistol and not the way we have all written it .45 caliber, which would be very small.
Stephan,

Unfortunately, not all calibers are measured in strictly 1/100 of an inch measurements. Some calibers defy this logic.

Hoppes
---
---

Will938

Post by Will938 »

Hoppes wrote:
flintknapper wrote:
Hoppes wrote:
Will938 wrote:
Hoppes wrote:
Will938 wrote:
I don't think the Aussies advanced out of that mindset.

HOPPES

The .410 is the only shotgun in a caliber versus a gauge. Yes, many people don't know this. If you go to Bass Pro or Cabelas, etc. and look for .410 stuff, you will see it frequently labeled as .410 gauge and that is not correct. It is a caliber just like you mention.

Let me explain that to those that might have forgotten:

With a 12 gauge, you can make 12 equal diameter lead balls, to the gun barrel, out of 1 pound of lead.

With a 20 gauge, you could make 20 equal diameter lead balls to the gun barrel, out of one pound of lead.

This goes on for the other larger and smaller gauges of shotguns. I think the largest is a 4 gauge.

People used to buy lead by the pound and that was the unit of measure so you would know how many bullets or pellets you could cast. At several times, lead seemed to be more valuable than gold and other precious metals because the early settler's life depended on lead to stay alive.

The .410 Caliber Shotgun is measured by the barrel's bore, not the number of equal diameter lead balls to the gun barrel, out of one pound of lead. So technically, the .410 shotgun is a caliber and not a gauge.

Thanks for the nice comment Flint Napper. I know what a napper is too. My grandmother on my dad's side of the family was native American Indian.

We have a lot of Indian history found right on our property here in Texas and up in Arkansas. I've got boxes of original napped flints and chert I have found over the years.

Hoppes
When I was 12 I went through the Texas Hunter Safety Course. The guy teaching it said that a .410 shotgun = 67 gauge?

Hoppes

Post by Hoppes »

;
Will938 wrote:When I was 12 I went through the Texas Hunter Safety Course. The guy teaching it said that a .410 shotgun = 67 gauge?
Yes, that is correct because .410 = roughly 67 gauge. Below are some data on shotgun gauges.

===============================================

Gauge.......................Bore (Inches)

67.............................0.410 (If .410 was a gauge)

67 Gauge is actually 0.411. It is commonly referred to as .410. Also, I think if you do the math, it will work out close to 67.5 gauge.

Y can see how to calculate gauges at the following URL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_(bore_diameter)

Hoppes
---
---

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

Wow you guys got massively sidetracked

LEO + Stormtrooper = Gauge lesson

interesting

I am sooooo glad I live in a state where common sense still is prevalent and we are allowed to own firearms! I could NOT live in Kalifornia
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

HankB

Re: LEO vs Storm Trooper

Post by HankB »

Wildscar wrote: Police will charge the man on summons for possessing an unregistered firearm, despite it being a replica.
Since they're prosecuting people for possessing unregistered toys, in Australia do they also:

* Charge people for being drunk, even if they've had nothing but tea to drink?

* Charge people with reckless driving, even if they're legally parked?

Once again the truth of my .sig line is proven.

Guns never bothered me, even as a kid . . . at achool, I just didn't mention going target shooting every week with my Dad, since I'd been educated in the virtue of keeping a low profile on some things. (We lived in Chicago which had passed a registration law . . . )
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”