Friendly interaction with the local PD

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
treadlightly
Posts in topic: 1

Friendly interaction with the local PD

Post by treadlightly »

I hesitate to say which PD was nice to me, because in these strange and wicked times somebody might make a fuss.

On my evening walkabout, I found a set of car keys in the road, very new-looking. Probably a pickup, from the little round key on the ring that could be a toolbox key. There was also what appeared to be a house key.

My first thought was to set the keys on the curb where they could be easily seen. Then I thought about that house key and an unguarded house, or the truck coming back home. If the rightful owner didn't see the keys on the curb, a joyrider might. I pushed the remote "lock" button as I walked the block, but no taillights flashed.

I called the PD's non-emergency number and asked if I could hand the keys over to them. I also said it had been a while since I'd been in their building and wasn't aware if the Municipal Court was still there. I have a Texas handgun license, I explained, and wanted to know if it was OK for a citizen to carry in their PD.

The answer was quick, along the lines of, "Licensed? Pffft! That's not a problem."

I realize the rest of the building, excluding court facilities and jail areas, is properly wide open turf for lawful handguns and I didn't really have to ask. If I had been told I couldn't carry, I would have walked home, gotten my AR15, wiggled into my best sequins and pom-poms, strutted directly to the PD, and...

No, wait. I don't have an AR15 or anything in my wardrobe with sequins or pom-poms. Whatever a pom-pom is. I'm not actually sure.

What I would have done is walk home, got my vehicle so I would have a place to leave my gun, and disarmed to do my good deed. Monday, I would have called the chief and asked why his department had a probably unlawful policy.

As a lad I was very impressed by the story of Davy Crockett grinnin' down a b'ar. Turns out, a heavy caliber grin works pretty effectively on people, too. Maybe even in places like Olmos Park.

When I walked in the PD there was no talk of guns, and no request to see my ID. Just friendly conversation on a rural Saturday night.

Y'all stay safe.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”