Great traffic stop a few weeks ago

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

TxRVer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TxRVer »

Great story. That stop could have gone a lot differently if he'd had a hard drive crash the night before. ;-)
Charlie

CHL/LEO
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CHL/LEO »

...this stop sign is honestly in the weirdest place I've ever seen one.
Officer happens to be sitting there

I doubt if it was happenstance - every officer knows where those "weird" stop signs are. I can take you to plenty of them I know about and we could sit there for 10 minutes and watch dozens of cars run them. I don't usually write tickets for them - I primarily use them for PC to contact the driver and access the vehicle.
"Conflict is inevitable; Combat is an option."

Life Member - NRA/TSRA/GOA

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by flintknapper »

CHL/LEO wrote:
...this stop sign is honestly in the weirdest place I've ever seen one.
Officer happens to be sitting there

I doubt if it was happenstance - every officer knows where those "weird" stop signs are. I can take you to plenty of them I know about and we could sit there for 10 minutes and watch dozens of cars run them. I don't usually write tickets for them - I primarily use them for PC to contact the driver and access the vehicle.

This can only result in bad relations between the public and LEO.

When every stop turns into "a fishing expedition" (in the name of doing your duty), bad feelings are inevitable.

I guess I just don't understand this. :???:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

BrassMonkey
Posts in topic: 3

Post by BrassMonkey »

If a driver runs a stop sign and gets pulled over for it, how would that be a fishing expedition?
BrassMonkey, that funky monkey....
===========================
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

bauerdj

Post by bauerdj »

BrassMonkey wrote:If a driver runs a stop sign and gets pulled over for it, how would that be a fishing expedition?
"I primarily use them for PC to contact the driver and access the vehicle"

What else would you call this?

Dave B.

BrassMonkey

Post by BrassMonkey »

A driver getting busted for a moving violation. Any traffic violation is "PC".
bauerdj wrote:
BrassMonkey wrote:If a driver runs a stop sign and gets pulled over for it, how would that be a fishing expedition?

Dave B.
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

BrassMonkey wrote:A driver getting busted for a moving violation. Any traffic violation is "PC".
bauerdj wrote:

Dave B.

No problem with the driver being pulled over and cited for the traffic violation. The officer witnessed this and has every reason/duty to stop the person.

"Accessing the vehicle" is a completely different matter. If there is no other reason/indicator that another infraction has occured....then why does the officer need to search/access the vehicle?

Given the circumstances first described.....the officer would have to convince the court that he was looking for more "stop sign running", or "more speeding" right?

I don't buy it.

"Fishing" goes on everyday....and any honest cop will tell you so. It can be a major inconvenience to law abiding citizens to have an LEO make it his habit/policy to try to find something else on everyone he stops (it happens).

Now, I'm about as "pro" LEO as they come.....but I greatly dislike the few that become "badge heavy".

Just my .0002 on it.

CHL/LEO
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CHL/LEO »

then why does the officer need to search/access the vehicle?
I never said anything about searching the vehicle. I want to get a look at what's in plain view and get the window down. I also check their registration, insurance and DL. If everything is in order then I usually cut them loose in less than a minute. We don't "toss" the vehicle during a stop. There's no need to do that.
"Conflict is inevitable; Combat is an option."

Life Member - NRA/TSRA/GOA

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

CHL/LEO wrote:
I never said anything about searching the vehicle. I want to get a look at what's in plain view and get the window down. I also check their registration, insurance and DL. If everything is in order then I usually cut them loose in less than a minute. We don't "toss" the vehicle during a stop. There's no need to do that.
I don't usually write tickets for them - I primarily use them for PC to contact the driver and access the vehicle.

I think you meant "Assess" not "Access", two very different things.

I thought this sounded out of character for you.

O.K., I'm unwadding my panties now. :oops:

BrassMonkey

Post by BrassMonkey »

Hey CHL/LEO, do you smell that?
CHL/LEO wrote:
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

BrassMonkey wrote:Hey CHL/LEO, do you smell that?
CHL/LEO wrote:

Huh? :?:

cxm

Truth IS

Post by cxm »

Truth is PC is not usually needed anyway... most people are so stupid they consent to search... :roll:

Go figure...

V/r

Chuck
CHL/LEO wrote:
Hoist on High the Bonnie Blue Flag That Bears the Single Star!

TxFire

Re: Truth IS

Post by TxFire »

cxm wrote:Truth is PC is not usually needed anyway... most people are so stupid they consent to search... :roll:

Go figure...

V/r

Chuck
I'd replace "stupid" with uninformed. Otherwise, agreed.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”