Hung up at the Mobil

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Supercat
Posts in topic: 1

Hung up at the Mobil

Post by Supercat »

A few months back I stopped a a Mobil gas station for a drink and some food. Got out of the car checked if my shirt was covering my gun and proceeded into the store. Got my drink and a dog and proceeded to the counter. on my way to the counter a woman dropped her keys and I bent down to pick them up for her. as she was being rung up I feel someone pat my shoulder, I turn to see a Police officer that promptly and quite descretly states you may want to cover that and motions to my belt. I pulled my shirt back down which got hung on the grip when I bent down. After I rung up I prompted a conversation with the officer. I told him I thought I might get a harder time for something like that, stern warning, assumption that I'm gonna rob the place.
He politely stated that :
A. I run into CHL holders every day his wife included.
B. I got a good look at your gun and you don't see many criminals carry polished 1911's in shark skin holsters.

To which I could only say thanks for understanding and I really appriciate what he and the other officers do for my community.

He probabily saw me pick up the keys and understood the error, he came in when I was going to the line and my back was to the door so I never saw him. But still he could have handled it alot different.
Big round, Little round, Having one is what counts!!!

age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

That's a great experience all around. Was it how you bent to get the keys or the length of your cover shirt that caused the issue? What area was the LEO from? Definitely good to have a LEO like that around!
http://www.berettaforum.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just remember: Your very best thinking got you where you are now!!!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Sounds like he might have been jealous of that Shark Skin holster! ;-)

Mitch Rosen???
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I refrain from bending to pick things up when I'm carrying to prevent such mishaps. Lift with your legs not your back. ;-)
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

wow. it just warms my heart to hear of a leo reaction like that :)

Will938

Post by Will938 »

MoJo wrote:I refrain from bending to pick things up when I'm carrying to prevent such mishaps. Lift with your legs not your back. ;-)
Exactly.

Thane

Post by Thane »

If you must pick something up, crouch, don't bend. Not only does this lessen the likelihood of your cover garment riding up and catching on your gun, it also allows you to keep a clearer view around you, instead of "nuthin' but floor." If nothing else, a clearer field of vision can help you spot Officer Friendly as he's walking up. :lol:

starrbuck

Post by starrbuck »

Yes, cool story, Supercat.
Springfield XD(m) 9mm 3.8 | Springfield XD-45 Compact | Springfield XD-9 Service
Kimber Pro CDP II .45 ACP | Kimber Pro Aegis II 9mm w/Crimson Trace | Walther PPS 9mm
Bushmaster AR-15 w/Magpul pistol grip and foregrip, Bushnell holosight

I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”