Grapevine Citizen's Police Academy

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

CompVest
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Grapevine Citizen's Police Academy

Post by CompVest »

tfrazier wrote:I can't really stand the thought of driving around unarmed in a car with a police paint scheme after having done it with plenty of ordinance on hand for eight years, so I'll never be a "Citizen on Patrol". I'll stick to covering my own neighborhood while walking the dog and packing heat with a CHL.
+1
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

tfrazier
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tfrazier »

bpet wrote:Hi-Power

Since no one else has asked, and I'm curious; Did you carry during the orientation?
Yeah, how 'bout that, HP? I left mine locked up and hidden in the car since I already knew it was also a court building. Had that not been the case at the time, and barring any 30.06 signs, I would have been totin'. Fess up...or plead the fifth. :bigear:

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

CompVest wrote:
tfrazier wrote:I can't really stand the thought of driving around unarmed in a car with a police paint scheme after having done it with plenty of ordinance on hand for eight years, so I'll never be a "Citizen on Patrol". I'll stick to covering my own neighborhood while walking the dog and packing heat with a CHL.
+1
+2
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

Topic author
hi-power
Posts in topic: 12

Post by hi-power »

Yeah, it's definitely not the ideal situation, but I'll at least have a 2-ton weapon. I just figure if the retired guys can do it, I'll be able to do it.
tfrazier wrote:Hey, Hi-Power, time for us to meet up at Bass Pro's range. I just plunked down my latest article earnings on a Kimber Eclipse Ultra II. My first 1911...everyone tells me after I shoot it I'm going to want to sell off the Beretta PX4 Storm and the other miscellaneous double-actions I have and buy more Kimbers.
Cool! Let's go. I want to see that new Kimber. I'll PM you on your forum and see if you've got any time this weekend.

Topic author
hi-power

Post by hi-power »

Since no one else has asked, and I'm curious; Did you carry during the orientation?
Good question. No, I left it in the car that night, (and every time I go up there since then). I knew there was a municipal court upstairs and I figured that would make carrying it anywhere in the building illegal. That may or may not be true, depending on how the law is interpreted, but I'm glad I didn't have it with me since the Sgt. gave us verbal notification shortly after class started that we couldn't carry in the building.

Edited to add:
Ha! I just read your post tfrazier.
tfrazier wrote:Yeah, how 'bout that, HP? I left mine locked up and hidden in the car since I already knew it was also a court building. Had that not been the case at the time, and barring any 30.06 signs, I would have been totin'. Fess up...or plead the fifth.
Thinking back on it, Sgt. G. was probably watching to see if either of us went out to the car on our first break. :cup: That might have been a little awkward.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

hi-power wrote:I knew there was a municipal court upstairs and I figured that would make carrying it anywhere in the building illegal. That may or may not be true, depending on how the law is interpreted, but I'm glad I didn't have it with me since the Sgt. gave us verbal notification shortly after class started that we couldn't carry in the building.
I understand the hesitation because of the court issue, but aside from that, a verbal notice always has exactly the same weight as a proper 30.06 sign -- in this case, zero.

bpet

Post by bpet »

hi-power wrote:

Good question. No, I left it in the car that night, (and every time I go up there since then). I knew there was a municipal court upstairs and I figured that would make carrying it anywhere in the building illegal. That may or may not be true, depending on how the law is interpreted, but I'm glad I didn't have it with me since the Sgt. gave us verbal notification shortly after class started that we couldn't carry in the building.

Edited to add:
Ha! I just read your post tfrazier.
tfrazier wrote:Yeah, how 'bout that, HP? I left mine locked up and hidden in the car since I already knew it was also a court building. Had that not been the case at the time, and barring any 30.06 signs, I would have been totin'. Fess up...or plead the fifth.
Thinking back on it, Sgt. G. was probably watching to see if either of us went out to the car on our first break. :cup: That might have been a little awkward.
Appreciate the honest answer and I have to admit I'd of probably done the same thing. I just have to keep asking myself why? As KBCraig points out, I think it would have been legal but there's always the question about the proximity of the court that keeps me guessing and makes me uncomfortable. Besides, sounds like you were having fun and didn't want to jeopardize the opportunity.

Hope you have a good time and enjoy the experience. Good luck.
"Limit politicians to two terms. One in office and one in jail!" (Borrowed from an anonymous donor)

Topic author
hi-power

Post by hi-power »

KBCraig wrote:
hi-power wrote:I knew there was a municipal court upstairs and I figured that would make carrying it anywhere in the building illegal. That may or may not be true, depending on how the law is interpreted, but I'm glad I didn't have it with me since the Sgt. gave us verbal notification shortly after class started that we couldn't carry in the building.
I understand the hesitation because of the court issue, but aside from that, a verbal notice always has exactly the same weight as a proper 30.06 sign -- in this case, zero.
KB, I agree that in this case verbal notice means squat. Had I known that before I went there, (I should have known, but didn't), I still would not have challenged it in the class or during a break because I wouldn't want to spend class time on this one issue that only affected me and one other person in the class. Also wouldn't want to get an early tour of the jail facility while we worked through this issue! :shock:

Now that I am clear on where to find justification for carrying in that building and know a few of the LEOs a little better, I probably still won't challenge it . After all, I'm just looking to volunteer up there and although I could challenge the policy and probably win, I'm going to look at it as if the sergeant in charge of the VIPS program were a friend of mine and told me he preferred that I didn't carry in his home. Of all places, this is one that I'm not concerned about being unarmed. Once I get into the secure area, there's plenty of firepower walking around.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”