Another for the 'What happens when you get pulled over' file

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

bwahahaha
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Another for the 'What happens when you get pulled over'

Post by bwahahaha »

flintknapper wrote:
bwahahaha wrote: The Highway Patrol is largely a do-nothing agency (I don't count drug interdiction ops and traffic patrol as useful).

All in all, what a disappointing interaction with this guy.
MY........thats a bit unfair don't you think?
I think it's fair. To be very generous I'll call them a "do very little agency" instead. They nab intoxicated drivers, provide some relief to full-service agencies w/r/t collisions (OTOH, full-service agencies burn patrol time backing them up on traffic stops), and occasionally take persons wanted for felony-level offenses off the street.

The vast majority of their time, however, is spent driving around in circles running moving radar in largely unpopulated areas. They're revenue collectors -- and I think that's all that they are. Do they provide any kind of meaningful benefit? I'd love to see an accurate, impartial study that shows they do. I'd be floored.

I don't consider them to be on par with any full-service police agencies.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by flintknapper »

bwahahaha wrote:
flintknapper wrote:
bwahahaha wrote: The Highway Patrol is largely a do-nothing agency (I don't count drug interdiction ops and traffic patrol as useful).

MY........thats a bit unfair don't you think?
I think it's fair. To be very generous I'll call them a "do very little agency" instead. They nab intoxicated drivers, provide some relief to full-service agencies w/r/t collisions (OTOH, full-service agencies burn patrol time backing them up on traffic stops), and occasionally take persons wanted for felony-level offenses off the street.

The vast majority of their time, however, is spent driving around in circles running moving radar in largely unpopulated areas. They're revenue collectors -- and I think that's all that they are. Do they provide any kind of meaningful benefit? I'd love to see an accurate, impartial study that shows they do. I'd be floored.

I don't consider them to be on par with any full-service police agencies.

Are you speaking of Texas Dept. of Public Safety Troopers or just the "highway patrol" in general (nationwide)?

If the former, I would submit that you know very little about what they do.

I appreciate your right to have (and express) an opinion, but wouldn't an "informed" opinion be of more service to us all.

Here is a good place to start your education:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/

Thanks, Flint.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

gregthehand
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gregthehand »

When I was working I knew many Troopers that made calls just like anyone else as long as they were in the area. One reason why they don't make all the calls is that they can't, they don't have the man power. Think about it how many deputies in just your sherrif's department alone? I bet there are less than a 10th of as many State Troopers in the same county; unless you live way out in West TX where they have departments with only 4 deputies. Most of the ones I got the chance to work with were very good at their job, and could handle themselves on a family violence call, or anything else. Are they revenue collectors? I guess you could put it like that. But one thing I don't have to guess about is that the number one cause of motor vehicle collisions is SPEED. The best way I know to make people do the speed limit in enforcement. People don't speed down roads that they know are patroled often. So I guess besides collecting revenue they provide a visual presence that can't be measured in it's life saving count...
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

bwahahaha

Post by bwahahaha »

flintknapper wrote:Are you speaking of Texas Dept. of Public Safety Troopers or just the "highway patrol" in general (nationwide)?

I'm speaking of both. DPS was one of a host of agencies I looked into around 2000 before joining a federal agency. I'm aware of the DPS' duties and respectfully stand by my earlier comments regarding their service.
flintknapper wrote:I appreciate your right to have (and express) an opinion, but wouldn't an "informed" opinion be of more service to us all.

Flint, thanks for the link. I checked out the link and found that it reinforces what I already believed about the agency. If you have a link that shows I'm wrong when I assert that most people will never deal with a Trooper in anything but a traffic stop capacity, please post it. If I'm misrepresenting the DPS' traffic duties, I'd be happy to discuss/admit that. I haven't seen anything that suggests that I am. I'd like to see formal statistics that show what trends exist in terms of Trooper workload. An agency's official website can provide useful info, but it can also be misleading.

For what it's worth, I found the opening of a 1999 DPS press release regarding an academy graduation particularly telling: "AUSTIN – An additional 105 troopers soon will be patrolling Texas roadways following their graduation today from the Texas Department of Public Safety’s 116th Training Academy."

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/director_s ... 041699.htm

DPS certainly presents itself as a pretty one-dimensional agency.

Topic author
Big Calhoun

Post by Big Calhoun »

bwahahaha wrote:
flintknapper wrote:Are you speaking of Texas Dept. of Public Safety Troopers or just the "highway patrol" in general (nationwide)?

I'm speaking of both. DPS was one of a host of agencies I looked into around 2000 before joining a federal agency. I'm aware of the DPS' duties and respectfully stand by my earlier comments regarding their service.
flintknapper wrote:I appreciate your right to have (and express) an opinion, but wouldn't an "informed" opinion be of more service to us all.

Flint, thanks for the link. I checked out the link and found that it reinforces what I already believed about the agency. If you have a link that shows I'm wrong when I assert that most people will never deal with a Trooper in anything but a traffic stop capacity, please post it. If I'm misrepresenting the DPS' traffic duties, I'd be happy to discuss/admit that. I haven't seen anything that suggests that I am. I'd like to see formal statistics that show what trends exist in terms of Trooper workload. An agency's official website can provide useful info, but it can also be misleading.

For what it's worth, I found the opening of a 1999 DPS press release regarding an academy graduation particularly telling: "AUSTIN – An additional 105 troopers soon will be patrolling Texas roadways following their graduation today from the Texas Department of Public Safety’s 116th Training Academy."

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/director_s ... 041699.htm

DPS certainly presents itself as a pretty one-dimensional agency.
I'm a noob when it comes to understanding all this law enforcement stuff in Texas. I mean, when I changed my DL over, I asked the Trooper at the motor vehicle office the difference between constables, and sheriffs, and the local PD. Even then, I'm still learning about justice of the peace counties and such. BUT, I can tell you that as far as my experience here with the 'highway patrol' and that in New Jersey, I appreciate the professionalism, courtesy, and respect.

I mean, OK, the Trooper I encountered disarmed me which a few folks disagree with and it even caught me by surprise since I'm a CHL holder and was very compliant and cooperative. However, at least to my perception (and that of a black male), the Trooper treated me with nothing but respect, he didn't seem to suspect I had ulterior motives of any sort, he was very efficient in his duties, and he acted with the utmost professionalism. As I see it, it was an excellent contact with a professional agency.

Sans the weapon, had I been stopped in New Jersey, I would have been interrogated as to where I was going, where I was coming from, their names and addresses, yadda yadda yadda; the Trooper would have tried to trick me into allowing a search, and he ultimately would have issued the ticket and sent me on my way w/ lingering suspicions, as if I was a criminal.

I'm not going to get into the whole 'revenue maker' debate. All I look for is honesty, fairness, and respect, and I believe I obtained all three from the DPS Trooper I encountered.

KRM45

Post by KRM45 »

bwahahaha wrote: I'm speaking of both. DPS was one of a host of agencies I looked into around 2000 before joining a federal agency. I'm aware of the DPS' duties and respectfully stand by my earlier comments regarding their service.
Oh, my... a "Federal Agency" I'm sure they are much more beneficial to public safety than the DPS...

razoraggie
Posts in topic: 3

Post by razoraggie »

bwahahaha wrote:I may be in the minority here but I consider this a bad contact.

Why?

He disarmed you -- why?

He didn't trust you enough at the end of the stop to just give the gun back. C'mon -- back of the seat?

His small talk about the make/model of your gun was ridiculous given the fact that he'd taken your gun.

His small talk was made in order to attain cooperation, not because he's a nice guy.

He instructed you to rearm at the next rest stop -- not ATS.

He cited you for a victimless "crime." You harmed no one through your actions. You (allegedly) exceeded an arbitrary speed limit and were treated as a criminal for it.

Bottom Line: HE MADE IT CLEAR THAT HE DID NOT TRUST YOU, EVEN AFTER YOUR CHL STATUS WAS VERIFIED.

It's not as if you initiated the contact.

The Highway Patrol is largely a do-nothing agency (I don't count drug interdiction ops and traffic patrol as useful).

A little harsh there buddy and a little overboard to call the DPS a "do nothing" agency. I don't think that having to work fatality accidents on highways and informing next of kin is a "do nothing" task.

Law Enforcement is not based on trust but to protect and to serve. The officer had his reasons for doing what he did (whether I agree with them or not is NOT for me to decide). These guys put their lives ont he line EVERYDAY they go to work and if that means he is a little more catious with some one that has a firearm than so be it. As to putting the weapon unloaded back into the vehicle....I think it's smart! If he disarmed him, then why hand him back a loaded weapon and become liable if something were to happen such as an accidental discharge or the person that what disarmed had to use their weapon and it was not chambered. This takes the laibility off of the officer and the responsibility to check your own weapon on the holder.

razoraggie

Post by razoraggie »

KRM45 wrote:Oh, my... a "Federal Agency" I'm sure they are much more beneficial to public safety than the DPS...

Pfft.... :smilelol5:

geez KRM45.....geez.
As much as I tired not to laugh.....geez

razoraggie

Post by razoraggie »

What's the problem with patrolling Texas Highways? Most agencies are bound by districts, counties and jurisdictions. EVERY state has a form of state patrol and I think any state is better for it. And who do you think processed that piece of plastic in your wallet? It surely wasn't a do nothing agency.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by flintknapper »

bwahahaha wrote:
The Highway Patrol is largely a do-nothing agency (I don't count drug interdiction ops and traffic patrol as useful).

To be very generous I'll call them a "do very little agency" instead

If we are to take "agency" for it's common meaning....then you are talking about the entire DPS. Surely, you have not read all the contents of this link: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ and still concluded that this "agency" is of so little worth.

bwahahaha wrote:
They're revenue collectors -- and I think that's all that they are. Do they provide any kind of meaningful benefit?
Further, you seek to extract the Troopers from the "agency" and then make the comment above. Unfortunately, the answer to your question "Do they provide any kind of meaningful benefit" is answered is the very link you provided:

Lt. Gov. Rick Perry addressed the graduating class at Palmer Auditorium in Austin.
The troopers began the six-month training academy in October. The instruction, which included traffic and criminal law, arrest procedures, accident reconstruction and classes aimed at personal growth, is double the training required by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education.

The students also received intensive training in firearms, driving and self-defense, as well as enduring a grueling physical fitness regimen.

"We feel DPS troopers are some of the best trained law enforcement personnel in the country and that’s bad news for criminals and drunk drivers," said Thomas. "Every year, troopers put hundreds of narcotics traffickers behind bars and get millions of dollars of drugs and drug money off Texas streets. They are also among the first responders on the scene of natural disasters such as tornadoes and floods."
Yup, I'd say there is substantial benefit in that!

Would it be fair to say that this "Federal Agency" you belong to has employee's/agents/officers/divisions that have different roles from one another? And if so, would it be fair of me to contest the worth of the entire agency by means of examining one small area?

Somehow, I think you'd be loathe to permit that.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Crossfire »

bwahahaha wrote: DPS was one of a host of agencies I looked into around 2000 before joining a federal agency...
And for your decision to join the feds, I am sure DPS is better off, and grateful.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

OnTexasTime

Post by OnTexasTime »

llwatson wrote:
bwahahaha wrote: DPS was one of a host of agencies I looked into around 2000 before joining a federal agency...
And for your decision to join the feds, I am sure DPS is better off, and grateful.
+ 1

If you have an interest in Civil War History I recommend you check out:

http://www.pearcecollections.us/civilwar.php

bwahahaha

Post by bwahahaha »

KRM45 wrote:
bwahahaha wrote: I'm speaking of both. DPS was one of a host of agencies I looked into around 2000 before joining a federal agency. I'm aware of the DPS' duties and respectfully stand by my earlier comments regarding their service.
Oh, my... a "Federal Agency" I'm sure they are much more beneficial to public safety than the DPS...
Sorry, my point was that I've seen the DPS from a different perspective than most, not that I went to a better place. Apologies for mentioning it...seriously.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

bwahahaha wrote:
KRM45 wrote:
Sorry, my point was that I've seen the DPS from a different perspective than most, not that I went to a better place. Apologies for mentioning it...seriously.
Well, from the point of view of a long time experienced Texas officer, I would have to say that you have some valid points and a somewhat jaundiced view also. DPS (and I will refer just to the Highway Patrol Division) is a full service police organization. Their primary function is to enforce traffic laws, which may or may not be just revenue gathering, but they also do everything else that any other cop does in Texas. They handle accidents, disturbance calls, shootings, bar fights, robberies, and anything else. In many areas, DPS is the primary backup for the local agency and the locals are very glad for the help.

I worked in a small rural town for a few years. I went by when DPS was on a traffic stop several times, and had them come by when I was. I also had them go by disturbance calls when I was the only officer on duty. I remember when we had a riot one night at a bar party. We had all of the officers on duty that were not needed getting sleep for the next shift, which meant about 5 of us were available. There were about 1200 people at the party when someone started fighting, shots were fired, and one car ran over some people trying to leave. We called for assistance and the county SO put it out (in three counties). Our own deputies were 30 miles away and started our way (both of them). Deputies from two neighboring counties and about 5 cities also headed our way (and I estimate the closest was about 20 miles off). DPS units from all three counties also responded and I believe some of them were the first there. They also ended up with more officers on scene than any other agency (including my own). They just pitched in and helped clear the problems and handle the reports with no arrogance or sense of anything other than cops helping out.

Yes, their primary function is traffic. Many of them seem to feel they are law enforcement officers, which means they give very little leeway on traffic offenses. This makes them seem like revenue officers to me, especially since Texas is now using traffic fines as a revenue source for non-traffic related problems (check out the surcharge program). Others, and me, see traffic safety as a real problem that kills more people than crime does. When I enforce traffic laws, I am doing my best to save lives by stopping behavior that is potentially very dangerous to others. These officers will not be writing tickets for 2 miles over (like some agencies I have seen do).

Overall, DPS is a good agency with some officers that could be replaced in my opinion. Of course, I have not seen too many agencies that I do not feel that way about, with the exception of some of the federal agencies. I am not a very big fan of the FBI, as one example, but that is a whole separate story.

AS to the original stop, because I really do not want to hijack the thread, I believe the officer made some serious mistakes. I have problems with the disarming of the CHL. The law says that he must reasonably believe there is a danger. None was articulated here though we do only have one side of the story. I do not believe a general fear of citizens having guns meets the legal requirement, but I am seeing this as a trend in cases where people report being disarmed.

I also have a problem with the way he returned the weapon and his instructions. The law says the weapon will be returned to the CHL before he is discharged from the scene. Placing the weapon in the car away from the CHL and with it unloaded does not meet the law, IMHO. There is also no excuse for it. I wonder what he would do if the CHL went to the car, picked up the weapon, loaded it, and reholstered it right there. No, I am not recommending anyone test this out for a reaction, but I do think the officer did not meet the law and had no call for what he did.

Might I suggest that TSRA start looking into this problem and maybe work with DPS on how they should handle the disarming and returning of the weapon. If DPS adopts a policy on this, I think most local agencies would soon adopt similar policies.
Steve Rothstein

bwahahaha

Post by bwahahaha »

srothstein wrote: Well, from the point of view of a long time experienced Texas officer, I would have to say that you have some valid points and a somewhat jaundiced view also.
I do have a cynical view of DPS and sometimes let that get the best of me. Today was one of those days. I am not a fan of DPS, and was very disappointed to read OP's account of a particular Trooper's conduct during his traffic stop. That said, I appreciated reading your post and the other posts in this thread -- part of the reason for being here is to learn from everyone else and I definitely figured some things out today :twisted:

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”