Post by Charles L. Cotton »

ScubaSigGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: YouTube video test

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

Seems to work fine.

Are you entering the contest Charles?
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

ScubaSigGuy wrote:Seems to work fine.

No, I don't know about a contest. I'm trying to figure out the code for embedding YouTube videos so we don't have to worry about the language content of the comments.

Chas.

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
ScubaSigGuy wrote:Seems to work fine.

No, I don't know about a contest. I'm trying to figure out the code for embedding YouTube videos so we don't have to worry about the language content of the comments.

Chas.
I was just kidding. I watched the video all the way through and it is an advertisement for a singing contest that YT is having.

Thanks for all of the work Chas.
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

I hate to admit this, but I never even thought about watching the whole video to make sure it didn't violate any of our rules. :oops: At this time of night, I should just be watching TV.

Chas.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Unfortunately some of the best spokesfolks for our cause speak as adults to adults, Drew Carry, Penn and Teller, and Ted Nugent come to mind. Censorship because of the choice of a few words, can interfere with getting a message across. I hope we don't come to the point where we can't link to some the best allies of our cause because of a few randy words. It seems to me the most disagreeable and offensive of speech often has no profanity at all.

If we decide to we can't link to a site that has a profane word or two, we limit ourselves to very few resources. Most blogs and even most news sites such as CNN, Fox news will occasionally have a word that doesn't meet with this sites standards.

Just some random thoughts, This probably isn't the place
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

drw

Post by drw »

Last year I decided I would lead the children in building a trebuchet, and so we went to youtube looking for videos on trebuchets. Much to my dismay, almost every single video contained profanity (especially including the f word) and there was never a warning that the profanity was coming. We ended up watching every video with the sound muted.

I don't want to be surprised like that on embedded videos here, and I think Chas has the right idea. It's not censorship, he's communicating to us what is acceptable on his private property.

P.S. I've seen the Penn and Teller video about Frank Lutz, and I appreciated the information, but the profanity was WAY TOO excessive and worthless, adding absolutely nothing to the content and actually making them look unprofessional.

I was on another gun forum yesterday, researching .223 ammo, and saw profanity all over the place. It surprised me and made me appreciate (again) the standards at this forum. It's one of the few places where I wouldn't hesitate to let my children stand over my shoulder and read along with me.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

drw wrote:Last year I decided I would lead the children in building a trebuchet, and so we went to youtube looking for videos on trebuchets. Much to my dismay, almost every single video contained profanity (especially including the f word) and there was never a warning that the profanity was coming. We ended up watching every video with the sound muted.

I don't want to be surprised like that on embedded videos here, and I think Chas has the right idea. It's not censorship, he's communicating to us what is acceptable on his private property.

P.S. I've seen the Penn and Teller video about Frank Lutz, and I appreciated the information, but the profanity was WAY TOO excessive and worthless, adding absolutely nothing to the content and actually making them look unprofessional.

I was on another gun forum yesterday, researching .223 ammo, and saw profanity all over the place. It surprised me and made me appreciate (again) the standards at this forum. It's one of the few places where I wouldn't hesitate to let my children stand over my shoulder and read along with me.
I am mostly just thinking out loud, and I pretty much agree with you that posting videos with vulgar language directly on this site would be in very poor taste. however, I was thinking of click through links. When Penn and Teller make a pro gun video it is important. It reaches to an audiance that the the Typical American Rifleman doesn't reach. If the only people we reach out to is the Midle aged conservative already a gun owner, we will lose this fight.
I understand that I'm getting off topic for a "test" subforum. and the whole topic doesn't seem to be something the mads like discussing in open so .. I'm done. Sorry Chas. ;)
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

To be perfectly candid, the Moderators discussed linked videos at length over a year ago before deciding how they would be handled. Our "policy" for embedded videos will be the same as they are for links to videos. The only reason the embedding option was set up was so we could help posters and readers alike avoid the problem of profanity in the comments many viewers leave.

We do not hold videos to the same standard we do people posting directly on TexasCHLforum. To do so would probably mean many videos with good educational value could not be posted. We do require a language warning if there is foul language in a video, so that people can decide whether they want to view it or not.

Even with a language warning, if the verbal content is so profane or so overwhelming in amount that any educational value is overshadowed by the profanity, then the video will be deleted. An example of this that caused a serious discussion among the Moderators was the video of the apparent gang member bragging about how tough he was, then demonstrated it by beating on a car trying to drive out of a parking lot. That video was also shown in my Utah CFP Instructor Certification School because it has tremendous educational value when teaching what is a reasonable belief that deadly force is immediately necessary. However, the language was atrocious! The Moderators had a difficult time reaching a consensus whether it should be left in the public portion of the forum, or deleted.

Obviously, the video standard is not a bright-line rule as we have for posts, but that's by necessity. So on behalf of all of the Moderators, I ask that everyone understand that this is a judgment call, that it will be made by the Moderators as a group after careful discussion and consideration, and reasonable minds can differ on any judgment call.

Again, this is not a new standard for videos, this is what we've been doing for linked videos. BTW, having the embedding option doesn't mean you can't link to a video, but we'd appreciate it if you would do so only when having trouble with embedding it. We are trying to deal with the YouTube video comments.

Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Return to “Test Area”