Photo testing, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Super Shorty Holster Pic test

Post by RPB »

For people who ostensibly really really want to open carry NOW legally with $5.00 and enjoy Federal Paperwork, or who can't afford a CHL

"Hey bud, you got a license to carry that?" ... Nope
"You a police officer" ... Nope

Wonder how that would go over in a mall, especially one posted with a 30.06 sign.
I can't see it ending well, but it's legal to open carry already.

(I usually link to photos I upload to photobucket, testing the "attach" option.)
:mrgreen:
Attachments
holstersm2.jpg
index.jpg
index.jpg (4.39 KiB) Viewed 4082 times
Last edited by RPB on Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Super Shorty Holster Pic test

Post by Beiruty »

what do you mean $5 Federal paper work? If this is a Pistol, so you can't carry if this a short barrel shotgun ( It should have a stock), it is illegal to carry or even own unless your have the federal stamp.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Beiruty wrote:what do you mean $5 Federal paper work? If this is a Pistol, so you can't carry if this a short barrel shotgun ( It should have a stock), it is illegal to carry or even own unless your have the federal stamp.
It isn't a pistol
It isn't a shotgun
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=40540&p=487424&hilit=aow#p487424" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can even "legally" open carry it in a bar past a 51% sign or 30.06 sign
No CHL even needed
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=40529&p=487435&hilit=aow#p487435" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It never had a stock, if it had, it would be a Short Barreled Shotgun.
They are originally built with pistol grips to be AOW

Yes, you pay $5.00 for the Federal Stamp ... see procedure here http://www.serbu.com/dw/nfa.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and see the above link if you want to do a trust. (Might keep personal names away from Wikileaks, and might be easier to transfer to descendants who couldn't inherit one, and be easier since local PD doesn't have to "sign it" ... or something like that ... still researching.)

I was just testing the pic thingy, but point is, $5.00 is the current price of Open Carry
versus the cost of a CHL ... so ... anyway. just testing the attach thingy
I'm no lawyer

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

For Federal Purposes, the above pictured is a SBR (Shotguns included too). I have a deep feeling that a Prosecutor in TX can claim the above pictured firearms as pistol. I see a lot of SIG 556 with no butt and very short barrels are referred to as Pistol to avoid the SBR and it is restrictions. with the Feds.

See here, being sold a Handgun:

http://www.impactguns.com/store/798681413119.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beiruty,

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Beiruty wrote:For Federal Purposes, the above pictured is a SBR (Shotguns included too). I have a deep feeling that a Prosecutor in TX can claim the above pictured firearms as pistol. I see a lot of SIG 556 with no butt and very short barrels are referred to as Pistol to avoid the SBR and it is restrictions. with the Feds.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/798681413119.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In contrast to what you pictured ...The 12 guage Serbu pretty much takes 2 hands to operate.
The foregrip flops down as a second grip, with which to operate the pump shotgun action.
It would be really hard to operated as a pistol. In fact, if you don't hold the front grip REAL WELL, your hand ends up in front of the muzzle due to 12 ga. recoil.
It's a 2-handed operation to work the action / pump anyway.

Whereas what you pictured is an autoloader and could be operated with 1 hand easier probably.
But, with a longer carbine barrel, the pictured one you gave could be carried as a carbine rifle openly instead of being an SBR.

I think the serbu is just like a longarm in where it could be carried.
I'm no lawyer

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Tex. Penal Code §46.01(5) wrote:"Handgun" means any firearm that is designed, made, or adapted to be fired with one hand.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

one hand operation:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

another wih 2 hand pisto grip:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beiruty,

Carry-a-Kimber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

Beiruty wrote:For Federal Purposes, the above pictured is a SBR (Shotguns included too). I have a deep feeling that a Prosecutor in TX can claim the above pictured firearms as pistol. I see a lot of SIG 556 with no butt and very short barrels are referred to as Pistol to avoid the SBR and it is restrictions. with the Feds.

For Federal purposes, the gun is an AOW, thats why there is a $5 stamp instead of $200 stamp. An AOW has never and could never have a shoulder stock attached. An SBS (Short Barrel Shotgun) may have either a pistol grip or shoulder stock, requiring a $200 stamp. However, I believe the Super Shorty is classified as a "smooth-bore, shot-pistol" within the AOW catagory; therefore, it would fall under the same applicable "no handgun" rules as any other pistol.

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

designed, made, or adapted to be fired with one hand.
isn't "can be operated with 1-hand"
like I can open ANY knife with 1-hand (I only have one hand)
But hmmmm
smooth-bore, shot-pistol" within the AOW catagory; therefore, it would fall under the same applicable "no handgun" rules as any other pistol.
I got conflicting answers elsewhere
but ...

... Well okie dokie then ... I need a Carbine holster :mrgreen:
I'm no lawyer

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

So basically ... it's an

DO YOU WANT TO OPEN CARRY THIS ENOUGH TO BE A TEST CASE type thingy...
Pre-CHL existence, 1979 or so, I carried a double barreled coach gun 18.5" barrel down main street and Elgin/Westheimer, in downtown Houston ... but times are different now.
(Personally, I prefer concealed anyway ... figured I could find a way for the open carry desiring crowd.. I prefer not to show my hole cards)

denwego wrote:
mmestx wrote:So, where would I be able to get clarification concearning the state definition of a glock that is registered as an SBR?
Short-barrled rifles/shotguns are still considered rifles and shotguns under state law, just a particularly restricted type. Vasquez v. State (1982) stated that a rifle whose barrel was shortened and stock completely removed didn't become a pistol, quoting "the definition referred to the design of the weapon, not to its present state after modification." That's supplemented by Ford v. State (1994), which said “the mere fact that a weapon may be defined as a handgun does not disqualify it from also being a short- barrel firearm. A weapon under twenty-six inches in length adapted from a shotgun makes it a short-barrel firearm regardless of whether it can be fired with one hand.”

Both of those cases refer to weapons which started off as long guns and were shortened, but I tend to believe that it would go the other way as well regarding handguns turned into SBRs. Those two cases would offer some strong precedent that a Glock turned into a SBR would still be considered a handgun based on its "original design," as well as also being a SBR which is regulated by §46.05. Thoughts?
srothstein wrote:well, since you asked RPB, I guess I will comment.

First I wanted to say I don't advise this because anyone who does this is really on the cutting edge of the law. And people on the cutting edge usually end up bleeding.

I agree with most of the comments on the signs pictured. The Serbu Shorty is not a handgun as I understand the definition and the weapon. Not having a shoulder stock makes this fairly questionable and I would point to the old Steve McQueen tv show as the reason why.

But if we assume that the shorty is not a handgun, you can carry them anywhere that a rifle is not banned. This includes ignoring 46.02 totally and they can be carried concealed or openly. Signs for 30.06 do not apply, and neither does 51% signs. The blue TABC signs do not apply since, as noted, they require a violation of 46.02 before they become effective. A 30.05 sign banning concealed guns means you could legally carry the shorty open and ignore the sign. A 30.05 sign banning any guns would stop you from carrying there.

Basically, the shorty would be considered the same as an M-1 Garand under the law. I think we all understand where we can carry a rifle legally, and where it would cause problems even if legal. If the firearm is not a handgun under the law, then consider it the same as the M-1 for carrying purposes, just easier to physically conceal.
I'm no lawyer

Carry-a-Kimber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

RPB wrote:designed, made, or adapted to be fired with one hand.
isn't "can be operated with 1-hand"
like I can open ANY knife with 1-hand (I only have one hand)
But hmmmm
smooth-bore, shot-pistol" within the AOW catagory; therefore, it would fall under the same applicable "no handgun" rules as any other pistol.
I got conflicting answers elsewhere
but ...

Got mine here http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/iden ... earms.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 13th gun from the bottom. You could always get a short barrel shotgun and put a pistol grip on it. Only cost you $195 more for the stamp. :rules: Good news a SBS Mossy can be had for about $350 instead of $550 for the Serbu so its a wash.

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

deleted
Last edited by cbr600 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

cbr600 wrote:
RPB wrote:It's a 2-handed operation to work the action / pump anyway.
Similar to the Rossi Ranch Hand pistol, in that regard.
http://www.rossiusa.com/product-list.cfm?category=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guess I should have just posted this thread in General lol I didn't think anyone would see it here ... and was just brainstorming and testing

NOW THAT I've wanted since Luke (not Skywalker) had one (Lucas McCain, The Rifleman)

That I'd get before a serbu ... as I saw on another thread ,,, this forum is costing me money buying stuff I see "rlol"

So ... wonder where you can/can't carry one of those. ... a "pistol" a carbine??
There are numerous variations-rifles, carbines,
Barrel Length: 12”
The Ranch Hand’s 12-inch barrel complies with federal regulations,

so. could this "carbine" be carried where rifles are allowed. like a non-pistol AOW?

Never seen it before thanks ... I'm really interested in that, didn't really favor a 12 ga. recoil on my arthritic wrist.
I'm no lawyer

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

deleted
Last edited by cbr600 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Looking at this NFA class: Smooth-Bore, Shot-Revolver

Than to own a Judge Shooting 410 shot shell needs at $5 AOW and Fed paper. Are current owners of the Judge doing that?
Beiruty,

Return to “Test Area”