Question for Instructors

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Salty1
Posts in topic: 1

Question for Instructors

Post by Salty1 »

With the recent reduction in required class hours I was wondering how that will translate into the classroom costs to obtain a CHL. It seems that the average price for the class is around $100, since the required class time is being reduced by half will instructors be reducing the class costs as well? People always seem to complain about the costs to get their Texas CHL by reducing the cost of the class do you feel that more people who hold out of state licenses would opt for the Texas CHL if the class time and class costs were reduced?
Salty1

jmain

Re: Question for Instructors

Post by jmain »

Reduction in time doesn't mean reduction in costs for instructors.
I bet some will, but I would also bet the majority won't.
Texas CHL Instructor
www.austinarmory.com
IWB Custom Holsters - CHL Classes - CHL/Holster Packages.

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

There are a couple other threads on this subject. I think the general consensus is that there will be some that considerably lower their price, some that will drop the price by 10-15% and those that will stay the course. Most students don't realize the time that is involved outside of the classroom with teaching the CHL.
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

Ericstac

Post by Ericstac »

heck I bet a lot of folks would pay more for shorter hours.. raise them prices!! :mrgreen:

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Our costs remain the same, regardless of the class time.

Room rental, printing, food and drink, equipment, and range fees won't go down.

I heard one instructor say he was RAISING prices to offset the loss of renewals.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

superchief wrote:I think compensating for the loss of renewals is a great idea. do you think we'll get any guidance on whether the 4 hours means 40 minutes of break? what about paperwork/picture/processing time?
I would be more interested in whether the written test time is counted.
Also, I have the class score their neighbors tests. In this way we go over the questions and answers and discuss whatever issues the students may have. I would think that time would count, too.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

switch
Posts in topic: 3

Post by switch »

I think it includes everything but shooting.

Don't know why it would not include breaks.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

switch wrote:I think it includes everything but shooting.

Don't know why it would not include breaks.
Correct, it includes everything except the shooting portion of the class. I testified on both HB47 and SB864 during which I stated that DPS requires a 10 to 15 break every hour. I was later told that the current doctrine is that breaks are recommended, but not required. I guess the position on breaks changed after Star retired. With 4 hours in the classroom, I plan to give a 10 minute break at 1 1/2 and 3 hours, then they will have another 10 break after the classroom portion is completed and before we do the range work. Breaks at 90 minutes seem to be very common in the CLE seminars I attend and they work well.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

SB864 dramatically reduces the required time for a CHL class, but it won't be a 50% reduction. Current 10 hr. classes include range time and, for all of us trained under Star, breaks amounting to 90 to 135 minutes. If only 1 hr is spent on the range, the classroom portion of a current class is between 6 3/4 to 7 1/2 hours. If 2 hrs (more common) is spent on the range, then current classroom time reduces to 5 3/4 to 6 1/2 hrs.

Apparently, a significant percentage of instructors plan to run 6 hrs. in the classroom, plus range time. This will make the class around 7 to 8 hrs, so only 2 to 3 hrs will be shaved off those classes. I'm not sure those classes will be competitive in the marketplace, but it's worth a try for instructors who want to experiment.

As others have mentioned, class-related costs will not be reduced and the pre-class/post-class paperwork won't be reduced. Some instructors will probably reduce class fees, but I'm hearing the opposite from more and more instructors. As Crossfire mentioned, some are going to raise their fees since there will be no renewal students in class to offset some of the fixed costs. My primary concern is that the total number of instructors will decline and this will reduce competition. Only time will tell how the market will respond to SB864 and HB48.

Chas.

switch

Post by switch »

There seems to be a big demand for NRA pistol certification classes. I have no idea how many/what percent of existing instructors need NRA certificates. I doubt if the instructor pool will decline much. Those that choose to drop out probably did not hold many classes anyway. I don't look for competition to drop much, if any.

Sounds like DPS instructor classes are 75 +. If they hold 10 classes a year, that's 750 new instructors.

What's the total now? Seems like I heard at one time, as many as 2,400 but now around 1,800?

The_Busy_Mom

Post by The_Busy_Mom »

I said in a previous post some weeks back that the instructors who thrive will be the ones who have devoted time to making it a business. I don't anticipate reducing the fees for my class much. However, I will be teaching a First Steps class in the morning before the CHL class, and then the CHL class in the afternoon. I also have some other ideas, but I am going to wait to see what comes down the pipeline from DPS before I tackle those ideas. Also, I think the spike in CHL classes in Sept./Oct./Nov. will be kind of like the gun panic of the last 6 months. It will be super strong out of the gate, and then taper off to more 'normal' levels.

On a different note, I really hope I can come back in 2 years and complain that Open Carry is going to kill my CHL classes :hurry:

:txflag: TBM
Texas CHL Instructor / NRA Certified Instructor
Final Shot Armory - Specializing in Firearms Sales & Transfers, NFA Sales
$20 Transfers for Current TX CHL Holders, Military, Teachers, LEO / $25 Everyone else
http://www.FinalShotUS.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

switch

Post by switch »

I don't think Open Carry would have much effect on licensing. OTOH, when they changed the law in AK, you can carry concealed w/o a license, class demand dropped 30%. I'd like to see that happen here. (Course, I'd probably have to go back to digging ditches. :( )

6 Point Star

Post by 6 Point Star »

Ericstac wrote:heck I bet a lot of folks would pay more for shorter hours.. raise them prices!! :mrgreen:

May have to do this to cover the loss to on-line renewals!

Jerry

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

In the Austin area I have already seen quite a drop in course fees. It used to be around $120 and now seeing some offered at $79 for the 10 hour classes.
As to counting breaks I was told we could as most of the students during break are talking CHL between themselves or asking instructors questions so time should count.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

Return to “Instructors' Corner”