First Responder Instructor Certification Training Course

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Paladin
Posts in topic: 5

Re: First Responder Instructor Certification Training Course

Post by Paladin »

JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I have a feeling a lot more instructors want the training than they have room for.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Tex1961 »

Paladin wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:23 pm I have a feeling a lot more instructors want the training than they have room for.
Yeah, just by the number of correction emails it’s obvious they didn’t plan this one out very well. At least 400 rounds of ammo isn’t going to break the bank anymore.

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by AF-Odin »

Yes, I responded with a yes, keep me on the list at 1720hrs this afternoon after I got home from teaching a class. Hope they have us on the waitlist in the order in which we responded to the initial invite rather than the confirmation today.

As for them not thinking this out, it is almost what did you expect.

I would guess that not all instructors are going to want the expense of going to Florence for three days for a course that will have limited applicability. There are approximately 4,000 instructors in Texas, but how many are actively teaching on a regular basis. Currently, at the place I teach, only 2 of the 4 active instructors are applying, one already in the first class and me on the wait list. Other two are not interested.

Even if only 25% of the total instructors apply, it would take about a year with a class every month to get them all through.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

AF-Odin wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:40 pm Yes, I responded with a yes, keep me on the list at 1720hrs this afternoon after I got home from teaching a class. Hope they have us on the waitlist in the order in which we responded to the initial invite rather than the confirmation today.

I would guess that not all instructors are going to want the expense of going to Florence for three days for a course that wilhave limited applicability. There are approximately 4,000 instructors in Texas, but how many are actively teaching on a regular basis. Currently, at the place I teach, only 2 of the 4 active instructors are applying, one already in the first class and me on the wait list. Other two are not interested.

Even if only 25% of the total instructors apply, it would take about a year with a class every month to get them all through.
Honestly I’m more interested in the free professional training than anything. Even if nothing comes of First Responder classes the course will give me the bones to teach more advanced techniques to LTC students. Win win in my book.

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by AF-Odin »

Concur with the training.

Also, my math was way off, at 12 students per class and if they only do one class per month, best case is 144 students in a year so would take about 7 years to get through 1/4 of all the instructors.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

extremist
Posts in topic: 3

Post by extremist »

What is this "free professional training" being spoken of?

Curious. From DPS?
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

extremist wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:30 pm What is this "free professional training" being spoken of?

Curious. From DPS?
Well yeah. Getting training from DPS instructors at the academy in low light, running and shooting and firing from cover. I would call that professional training. Well for me anyway.

Mike S
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mike S »

AF-Odin wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:40 pm Hope they have us on the waitlist in the order in which we responded to the initial invite rather than the confirmation today.
I understood today's email to say we'd be on the wait list in the order of applications received, not the order of responding to today's email.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Tex1961 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:51 pm
AF-Odin wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:40 pm Yes, I responded with a yes, keep me on the list at 1720hrs this afternoon after I got home from teaching a class. Hope they have us on the waitlist in the order in which we responded to the initial invite rather than the confirmation today.

I would guess that not all instructors are going to want the expense of going to Florence for three days for a course that wilhave limited applicability. There are approximately 4,000 instructors in Texas, but how many are actively teaching on a regular basis. Currently, at the place I teach, only 2 of the 4 active instructors are applying, one already in the first class and me on the wait list. Other two are not interested.

Honestly I’m more interested in the free professional training than anything. Even if nothing comes of First Responder classes the course will give me the bones to teach more advanced techniques to LTC students. Win win in my book.
Agreed. As an instructor I believe in continuing education to make sure that my courses are state of the art. This is a win win.

extremist

Post by extremist »

Tex1961 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:46 pm
extremist wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:30 pm What is this "free professional training" being spoken of?

Curious. From DPS?
Well yeah. Getting training from DPS instructors at the academy in low light, running and shooting and firing from cover. I would call that professional training. Well for me anyway.
Well okay then. ;-)

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

extremist wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:55 am

Curious. From DPS?
Well okay then. ;-)
Trying to figure out why my snark detector keeps going off... I can't tell if your just being funny or trying to either insult DPS or us instructors that would like more training than we have already....

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

extremist wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:55 am

Curious. From DPS?
Well okay then. ;-)
Not everybody trains to SOCOM or USPSA Grandmaster levels. Honestly I'm excited when students take the opportunity to get holster training, which is vital for all those that carry a handgun.

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 8

Post by troglodyte »

Curious. From DPS?
My interactions with the DPS officers, the staff at Florence, and the facilities have been nothing but professional. One thing I appreciated, and didn't expect, was when we were at the Florence facility we were treated with respect and dignity. Everyone I interacted spoke and treated me as an equal, not like some "civilian" there for a three day course. The training, at least thus far, has not been a "Gunsite" experience but it has been respectful to the nature of the course we were being trained in. They are not going to train us to be a SWAT team instructor but that doesn't make the training any less "professional".

It also adds to the credentials. Most people don't know who Tom Givens is or what Gunsite is or what IDPA even stands for. They do know the DPS. I see that as a plus...along with the training.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

extremist

Post by extremist »

troglodyte wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:48 pm

Curious. From DPS?
My interactions with the DPS officers, the staff at Florence, and the facilities have been nothing but professional. One thing I appreciated, and didn't expect, was when we were at the Florence facility we were treated with respect and dignity. Everyone I interacted spoke and treated me as an equal, not like some "civilian" there for a three day course. The training, at least thus far, has not been a "Gunsite" experience but it has been respectful to the nature of the course we were being trained in. They are not going to train us to be a SWAT team instructor but that doesn't make the training any less "professional".

It also adds to the credentials. Most people don't know who Tom Givens is or what Gunsite is or what IDPA even stands for. They do know the DPS. I see that as a plus...along with the training.
I'm certainly not disparaging DPS's professionalism, I just think "Getting training from DPS instructors at the academy in low light, running and shooting and firing from cover" is a stretch considering all of the "real" professional training for this from Gunsite, Front Site, Thunder Ranch, Suarez International and many others. I will be very interested in hearing how it goes. And I do know who Tom Givens is :thumbs2:

Return to “Instructors' Corner”