Becoming a CHL instructor

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
A-R
Posts in topic: 1

Becoming a CHL instructor

Post by A-R »

I've been considering for the last year or so perhaps becoming a CHL instructor. Not really sure where to start. But have found these two web sites (one is Texas DPS one is TCHA?) that seem to gives some nuts and bolts.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... orinfo.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.txchia.org/insthow.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any help anyone here can offer would be much appreciated. How did y'all get started? How is business? Pitfalls to watch for?

Thanks

garcia946

Re: Becoming a CHL instructor

Post by garcia946 »

All you really have to do it apply on the DPS Website. They will notify you when the class will happen.
They will also tell you what you will need for class. I liked he course , learned quite a bit , but can get kinda long when going over all the legal stuff.
As far as the business , like any other can have its ups and downs. Just make sure you get yourself out there , then if you want to become a one stop shop.
ie: Photos , fingerprinting , notary... took me awhile to find the right person to qualify me to do them. Now Im hearing DPS make the fingerprinting all digital ( F.A.S.T. ) , but havent heard when. hope they dont , I like being able to do everything for my students.
Hope this helps some.... :tiphat:
NRA Instructor/RSO
Glock 27 .40 , Sig P229 .40
Right To Carry CHL

Birdiemaker

Post by Birdiemaker »

Does anyone know the dates of the instructor class for 2010?

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

I don't believe the date has been set/published yet. I'm still waiting to find out, too.
NRA lifetime member

Return to “Instructors' Corner”