A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
garcia946
Posts in topic: 1

Instructor Renewal Exam Online 4/1/10

Post by garcia946 »

Just saw this on the DPS website , a Coming Soon.... lol :thewave
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... orinfo.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Instructor/RSO
Glock 27 .40 , Sig P229 .40
Right To Carry CHL

KFP

Re: Instructor Renewal Exam Online 4/1/10

Post by KFP »

Looks like CWOOD got through to them!
Life Member NRA & TSRA

CWOOD
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CWOOD »

KFP wrote:Looks like CWOOD got through to them!
Well, I guess that April is CLOSE to March. They actually let US slide for a month or so on some new laws going into effect so I guess we can tolerate granting them the same leeway.

I don't think it was me. At most, I just stirred the pot a bit. Following an email to Lt. Odie Hitt, around 2-1-10 I got an email response from a clerk who didn't say much in an email but in a followup call to her, she was much more informative and said that they were working on it and were aware of the 3-1-10 deadline. Also, Charles said in a post that in his discussions with someone at DPS, he was told that they were working on it.

On the phone, the clerk said that one of the things they were working on was how to arrange the proficiency shooting test. I suggested that since instructors were trusted to properly qualify CHL applicants, it seemed that they should be trusted to qualify instructors as well. She was still talking like they wanted us to go to the DPS range in Florence. Now that is a nice place to shoot, but the whole point of the legislation was to allow instructors to recertify in each county in the state WITHOUT the trip to Austin and environs.

NOW, that it is past 3-1-10 but not yet 4-1-10, I am looking for the time when the link to the online version bacame active. I am ready to enroll as soon as the thing is set up, so I will give an after action report ASAP.

Is there a smily for crossed fingers?

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

Didn't we all just renew? The online renewal should not even matter until next year. Or did they not renew everyone in 2009?
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

CWOOD
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CWOOD »

lrb111 wrote:Didn't we all just renew? The online renewal should not even matter until next year. Or did they not renew everyone in 2009?
Many did, some didn't. Due to conflicting work schedules and relocation and some other personal situations, I was unable to get to one of the standard renewal classes. I am sure that there are others.

In any case, this will be a great advantage for some in the future. For someone in El Paso, or Brownsville, or Amarillo or "name YOUR location", it can be expensive and inconvenient to come to Austin for the classes and an online process for every other recertification available in one's home county will be a good thing.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”