A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
SteyrM40
Posts in topic: 2

Becoming an instructor...

Post by SteyrM40 »

Hello,

I am a teacher and a CHL holder, so, as I see things, the next logical step for me would be to become a CHL instructor. I have thought about this for many months, and would like to get the ball rolling.

What steps do I need to take in order to become an instructor? I know I can go to the DPS website and fill-out an application. As a matter of fact, I already have one filled-out and ready to go, up until the $100 payment.

Are there any classes I should take before paying the $100, or is that the next step in the process? When is the training in Austin held? Is it only once a year and in August? If so, I'll wait a while before sending those $100 off to Austin.

Thanks for the input.

SteyrM40

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Crossfire »

Once a year, first week in August. You have to go back to renew every 2 years.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
SteyrM40
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SteyrM40 »

llwatson wrote:Once a year, first week in August. You have to go back to renew every 2 years.
Wow... looks like I just missed out.

Is there a specific schedule? I have to plan a lot of things around my summer contracts and the start of the school year. Would it be something like:
● July 30 - Aug 3, 2007;
● Aug 1 - Aug 5, 2007; or
● Aug 6 - Aug 10, 2007.

Is there some place I can find these dates?

I appreciate your help.

SteyrM40

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

SteyrM40 wrote:
llwatson wrote:Once a year, first week in August. You have to go back to renew every 2 years.
Wow... looks like I just missed out.

Is there a specific schedule? I have to plan a lot of things around my summer contracts and the start of the school year. Would it be something like:
● July 30 - Aug 3, 2007;
● Aug 1 - Aug 5, 2007; or
● Aug 6 - Aug 10, 2007.

Is there some place I can find these dates?

I appreciate your help.

SteyrM40
Classes fill up quickly. When I took my initial training I paid for the class in March I believe, but was not notified of the actual class dates until mid June.
I wish the news was better than that.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Pickpocket

Post by Pickpocket »

Or you could be like me and have registered in April and receive your packet three days before the class starts :)

Yes, classes fill up quickly and I don't think they're holding another new instructor's course until 2008.
Not all who own musical instruments are musicians.

switch

instructor classes

Post by switch »

I think they hold classes every year.

The good news is if you had gotten in this years class, your instructor license would have only been good for 1 year. Everyone has to renew in the odd number years, after the legislture meets.

Normally, the 40 hour initial instructor class is in Aug, right before labor day, (right after school starts :cry: )

I suspect they would have a second class if there was a demand.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Quote: "I suspect they would have a second class if there was a demand."

Last I heard, they were sticking with ONLY one class per year - typically the first week of August. And, based upon what I've observed/heard, if the number was big enough (and Sgt. Riddle or her breed has anything to do with it), they'd just get a bigger place and STILL do everyone in the same week.

Heck, when I did the first skul in '95, there were around 300 in the class and only 30 positions on the Lamar facility firing line. Now, with 60 positions at the Florence range, the major hurdle would be securing a larger facilty for the classroom stuff, which they have certainly done before - on much shorter notice.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Return to “Instructors' Corner”